Alleged Stabbing Revealed to Be Hoax

Alleged Stabbing Revealed to Be Hoax

There are 30 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Feb 11, 2009, titled Alleged Stabbing Revealed to Be Hoax. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Police say an alleged stabbing in Buckingham County last week was a hoax. Apparently the woman, who told police a so-called salesperson stabbed her, actually stabbed herself.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
whatdoyoudo

Lexington, VA

#22 Feb 12, 2009
CvilleGordo wrote:
<quoted text>
You could always place all sorts of obnoxious "No Soliciting" or "No Tresspassing" signs in your yard, but be careful or you will end up looking like some sort of eccentric whack job. And that isn't going to necessarily make it a crime for someone to come to your door either; otherwise the mailman, the UPS guy, the gas man, assorted Jehovah's Witness types etc. would all be locked up. The bottom line is that we live in a free society. Door to door selling is not inherently evil; it's a business, it's sales, people make their living doing it - just like people make their living in telemarketing. I really don't understand why people freak out about it. Just say "No thanks!" What harm has been done?
I agree with some of what you say but I really do not want sales people at my door uninvited. It is intrusive and irritating and disrespectful. And in this free society, I don't have to like if I don't want to like it. Yes, I would say "no thanks" but I would add a polite "don't come back" to the turn down.
Concerned Citizen

Ventura, CA

#23 Feb 12, 2009
Well, seems the law enforcement officers "just might" have been doing their jobs after all. Folks who are determined to stand in judgement especially when they are basing those judgements on a fraction of the information that law enforcement has need to stay calm, keep their eyes and ears open, practice safety and do their civic duties. Help keep your back yard a safer place to live by reporting things you see and hear AND just because no billboard goes up reporting the actions that are being taken or it is not the number 1 story on the 6pm news DOESN'T mean that nothing is being done. Again I say, if you don't think the law enforcement officers who are sworn to serve and protect are doing the job you want them to do, strap on that gun, pin on that badge and go out and do a better job. If you aren't willing to do that be thankful every minute of every day for each and every one of them who do it FOR YOU.
Lord

United States

#24 Feb 12, 2009
CvilleGordo wrote:
<quoted text>
You could always place all sorts of obnoxious "No Soliciting" or "No Tresspassing" signs in your yard, but be careful or you will end up looking like some sort of eccentric whack job. And that isn't going to necessarily make it a crime for someone to come to your door either; otherwise the mailman, the UPS guy, the gas man, assorted Jehovah's Witness types etc. would all be locked up. The bottom line is that we live in a free society. Door to door selling is not inherently evil; it's a business, it's sales, people make their living doing it - just like people make their living in telemarketing. I really don't understand why people freak out about it. Just say "No thanks!" What harm has been done?
We should be able to shoot the jehovah's witnesses. In any case, my dogs do their job and they are friendly to the gas man, delivery people, etc. If the dogs are asleep then we keep a large can of mace next to the door, so we can feel safe while the unwelcome intruder rolls on the ground and we get the shotgun.
There is a difference between contracted service and unsolicited intrusions, be it by phone or at your door, I just wish there was a way to mace the phone solicitors. Now do you think you want to show respect for my no trespassing sign?

Since: Jan 09

Charlottesville, VA

#25 Feb 12, 2009
Lord wrote:
<quoted text>We should be able to shoot the jehovah's witnesses. In any case, my dogs do their job and they are friendly to the gas man, delivery people, etc. If the dogs are asleep then we keep a large can of mace next to the door, so we can feel safe while the unwelcome intruder rolls on the ground and we get the shotgun.
There is a difference between contracted service and unsolicited intrusions, be it by phone or at your door, I just wish there was a way to mace the phone solicitors. Now do you think you want to show respect for my no trespassing sign?
Too funny. Here is what is most likely to happen if law enforcement responds to a complaint and arrives to discover prominent "No Trespassing" signs all over their yard and a legitimate salesperson on the property. If they were refusing to leave, they could be issued a summons or arrested under 18.2-119. If they were simply walking back to their car after being told to leave, or still ringing the doorbell, most likely they would be ID'd and then simply asked to leave. If the homeowner insisted that he wanted to press trespassing charges because of his posted signs, a summons or arrest could happen, but my guess is that he would more likely be advised to come down to the local sheriff or magistrate's office to fill out a criminal complaint and seek a warrant. I honestly don't know how local judges have treated such cases (when a magistrate issued a warrant, or even when a summons or arrest happened at the scene), I'm sure there are some. Would be interesting to look it up. Regarding the pepper spray; it's a funny thought and who hasn't thought about it, but chances are pretty good you could be charged with assault and battery. I am reasonably sure the law tends to frown upon people who pepper spray salespeople who come to their door just because they don't like salespeople - I don't advise it!!!

“So what do you really mean?”

Lexington, VA

#26 Feb 12, 2009
D zero thirty nine wrote:
It's funny alot of you commented on NBC29 retracting their statements and story, but yet in the initial story's blog many of you said it was the lazy **** deputies fault that are employed by Buckingham Co Sheriff's Office...Once again those who judge will be judged! I wonder, if the dept is so lazy then who solved the investigation; maybe the teenagers riding through Dillwyn in uniforms! You all SHOULD feel a bit silly.
You are absolutely correct. However, the real problem is that things like this are getting reported as fact instead of letting due process run it's course. All news stations (yes, even little old c'ville) seem to be sensationalizing everything, so local people who aren't used to that kind of news delivery (like fox news out of New York) so they just believed what they heard. It's too bad. I hope that lady gets the help she needs, and that people can give these real salepeople a break.

Lexington, VA

#27 Feb 12, 2009
Lord wrote:
<quoted text>We should be able to shoot the jehovah's witnesses. In any case, my dogs do their job and they are friendly to the gas man, delivery people, etc. If the dogs are asleep then we keep a large can of mace next to the door, so we can feel safe while the unwelcome intruder rolls on the ground and we get the shotgun.
Well, I hope you live no where near me. If my daughter happened to come to your door selling girl scout cookies, she would probably get over the maceing, but I can gaurantee that you wouldn't.
Prepared

Charlottesville, VA

#29 Feb 12, 2009
Ring my door and I don't know you? Number one, I probably won't answer unless I feel right about it. I keep my door locked at all times. It's just good housekeeping sense. Continue ringing, and the dog is going to make a fuss. Try the knob or look around back generally being squirrelly, prepare to be met at gunpoint...quickly. That's just the way it is in my world. Now, if it's friend or family, then it's time for some good chow and a beer.
sad

Daleville, VA

#30 Feb 13, 2009
Prepared wrote:
Ring my door and I don't know you? Number one, I probably won't answer unless I feel right about it. I keep my door locked at all times. It's just good housekeeping sense. Continue ringing, and the dog is going to make a fuss. Try the knob or look around back generally being squirrelly, prepare to be met at gunpoint...quickly. That's just the way it is in my world. Now, if it's friend or family, then it's time for some good chow and a beer.
well you are very obviously insecure to say the least, i bet squirells keep you up all night, you never know!!!
Ron

Scottsville, VA

#31 Feb 16, 2009
I wonder how many girl scouts are shotgunned each year attempting to sell those cookies?

Lexington, VA

#32 Feb 17, 2009
Ron wrote:
I wonder how many girl scouts are shotgunned each year attempting to sell those cookies?
Haven't heard of any, but he was talking about maceing people that came to his door selling stuff. His was just a blatently aggressive retort, so I gave one of my own. I hope that nothing like this ever occurs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buckingham County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
new sheriff (Oct '15) Oct '15 Wondering 1
Food lion (Dec '14) Dec '14 Glenn miller 2
lies (Dec '14) Dec '14 truth seeker 1
Buckingham girls high school tennis (Apr '14) Apr '14 don 1
News New Ragged Mountain Dam Halfway Done (May '13) May '13 huck 18
News First Responders Train with Mock Search and Rescue (May '13) May '13 Liberalace 3
News Louisa Woman Regional Winner of Farm Mom of the... (May '13) May '13 Wilbur 3