Afternoon Update: Area Chrismas parad...

Afternoon Update: Area Chrismas parades seeking participants

There are 5 comments on the Bluefield Daily Telegraph story from Nov 16, 2009, titled Afternoon Update: Area Chrismas parades seeking participants. In it, Bluefield Daily Telegraph reports that:

With the day after Thanksgiving fast approaching, organizations across the Virginias are seeking participants for annual events featuring bands, civic clubs, marchers and a fellow by the name of Santa Claus - the Christmas parade.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bluefield Daily Telegraph.

George

Grundy, VA

#1 Nov 17, 2009
nice job taking Christ out of Christmas
resident

North Tazewell, VA

#2 Nov 18, 2009
If the parade is as sorry as last year I think I will pass. Do we really need to see the town "leaders" riding in cars and so pitiful excuses for floats? I don't even think Santa made it to last year's and what is with the "no throw candy" rule? What is even a bigger joke is the one day a year that people show up in town (this is other than court days of course)the town is closed for business!!!(Sunday)

Year before last we went to the old jr high event which was such a joke. I hope it all gets revamped.

Why doesn't the band play the entire length of Main St? I didn't appreciate standing in the cold all that time to just hear the drums. How freakin hard is it to play for that little bit of time? Start the parade closer to town - how about starting at the ball field rather than ending up there?

Why does anyone have to pay to enter the parade either? I bet it will be a sorry excuse this year for a parade. Just every emergency vehicle and the mayor. Pluease.

If it's that big a financial hardship just don't do it. And please skip the powdered hot chocolate at Dr. Mary's old house. Can't this town do better? It is afterall the state leader in tourism dollars, right?

OMG.
Wow

Rocky Mount, NC

#3 Nov 18, 2009
Where is your Christmas Spirit?
resident

North Tazewell, VA

#4 Nov 19, 2009
I have a lot of Christmas spirit which is what disgusts me about Tazewell's attempt at showing some.

If this county leads the state in tourism dollars then why can't we have a decent parade? One that isn't just town biggies riding cars and every emergency vehicle blasting the sirens.

Have it on a day the stores are open, first of all. I bet they don't want that because people might ask to come in and use the bathroom. Betcha I am right. The town doesn't want to encourage the community.

Make sure the band plays all along Main Street. Find some people to build floats and don't charge them to drive them down Main St. For goodness sakes, let them toss wrapped candy.

Last year the parade was over and the cars couldn't get away from Main St fast enough. Hey Tazewell!! Wake up!!! Find a way to keep the people in town.

Will there be a tree lighting or chorus performance this year? How about church choirs and the high school doing some singings before Christmas. Just do something. Oh I know, we can walk up and down Main St and count the vacant businesses and compare that to lawyer's offices.

Maybe we can ask the monied how they could make more money off a parade, then maybe there will be a better one.
Fire dept member

United States

#5 Nov 19, 2009
Actually, we are only allowed to use our sirens during an emergency and during the emergency services parade which is held in October as the finale for fire prevention week. I agree with you on the 'no tossed candy' thing. That's one of the big reasons that people bring their kids. What's a parade without candy?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buchanan County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teachers who slept with students Feb 14 Gsh 9
News Drug Roundup In Buchanan County, VA (Feb '09) Feb 12 George 103
Jewell Valley Music Thread (Apr '17) Jan '18 Musikologist 3
Who all they get yesterday’s bust? Nov '17 AmberLynnmomof2 1
family members that move in on their parents a... Nov '17 Whatthehay 2
Billy cline and Jessica McMillan rats!!! Sep '17 Big brother 1
Homecoming Dances Sep '17 Curious 1
More from around the web