N.C. group pushes for animal welfare - Neighbors
Join the discussion below, or Read more at Myrtle Beach Online.
#1 Aug 28, 2008
Animal Welfare or Animal Rights?
Here are some of the differences:
As animal welfare advocates...
• We seek to improve the treatment and well-being of animals.
• We support the humane treatment of animals that ensures comfort and freedom from unnecessary pain and suffering.
• We believe we have the right to "own" animals -- they are our property.
• We believe animal owners should provide loving care for the lifetime of their animals.
As animal rights activists...
• They seek to end the use and ownership of animals, including the keeping of pets.
• They believe that any use of an animal is exploitation so, not only must we stop using animals for food and clothing, but pet ownership must be outlawed as well.
• They want to obtain legal rights for animals as they believe that animals and humans are equal.
• They use false and unsubstantiated allegations of animal abuse to raise funds, attract media attention and bring supporters into the movement.(The Inhumane Crusade, Daniel T. Oliver)
#2 Aug 30, 2008
The interchangable use of animal rights and animal welfare is appalling.
The humane treatment of animals even when there is the need of humanely euthanizing animals is animal welfare..How do animals deserve our respect? We are taught to respect our elders, respect our teachers,respect authority.....Respect our PETS? They deserve to be taken care of, treated kindly, provided shelter, food, exercise and affection= looking out for our animal's welfare.
Animal rights is the belief that animals should have the same rights as humans--although apparently not the right to pro-create. They are not to be used for food, fiber, research, even to the detriment of humans. Some animal rights activists have stated that mentally challenged humans should be used for research instead of animals!!
These people take state and national statistics that do not differentiate between specific numbers of those animals put to sleep because they were vicious, sick or their owners requested they be euthanized and those that were actually adoptable. Racoons, possums, birds, feral cats ( which in most areas comprise the largest number) are all lumped in together. These numbers are then thrown about to push the animal rights agenda to have eventually have every pet neutered. Most areas--especially in the Northeast of the country import animals from other states and out of the country to meet the demand for adoptable pets. Those that believe that an animal should have rights also believe they are better off extinct than owned and loved.No pets to kiss our faces and greet us as we come home, or take us for a long afternoon stroll/ride as that makes them our slaves.
Animal welfare is NOT the ultimate purpose of those that espouse animal rights. Do research. A good site to browse is www.naiaonline.org The animal rights agenda is truly frightening
Add your comments below
|ECU Brunswick Dental School Clinic||Oct 1||me thinks not||1|
|John William Ingram VI||Jul '17||Larkin||1|
|E-mail excerpts: 'allow nudity on bird island' (Jan '10)||Feb '17||Nudist||6|
|marion warren as court of appeals judge? (Oct '14)||Jan '16||Bill Walsh||2|
|Suspect clocked at 104 mph leads troopers on chase (Dec '15)||Dec '15||oceaniclove||1|
|Lottery winner's fiance bailed out for third ti... (Oct '15)||Oct '15||poptart-00||1|
|First on 3 Update: Lotto winner, high-bond drug... (Jul '15)||Jul '15||carolyn||1|
Find what you want!
Search Brunswick County Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC