Martin trial day three: Martin guilty of first-degree murder

Apr 17, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Brunswick Beacon

After deliberating for about an hour and a half Friday afternoon, a Brunswick County jury found James Dean Martin guilty of the 2007 robbery and murder of Oak Island restaurateur Phillip Cook.

Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated May 1, 2009
Debi Layne

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2009

Judged:

I've visit the Carolina's every year, as well as Oak Island, and was in the area when this happened to Mr. Phillip Cook, I had ate at his restaurant.....He was one of the nicest people & courteous to his customer's of any restaurants I've ever been in.... And to think this man Phillip Cook had spent a hard day at work and was only going home to continue doing the table cloths from the restaurant...It's just irate, that any one could have done something like this. This could have been Me, a member of my Family or Your Family that was coming in from work and some drug addicted idiots, decide to rob you or your family member. I'm glad he got life without Parole, but It would not have bothered me at all if he would have got the death penality. Because that's what they did to Mr. Cook's two son's (whom my Heart aches For) is have the imiage of their Father always in the back of their mind, being beaten to death.....So let's us all remeber before we make a decision! What if it would have been your one of YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS that this happened to! Only for going to work that day and coming home from work.
Christine Burke

Jacksonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

I understand the out rage and my heart goes out to the Cook family. However my heart also goes out to these young men. Drugs are a plague on our society. Yes they are responsible but the fact is that murder was not their intent.The death penalty is not warranted here. A good long sentence, absolutely. But life w/o parole? Why? What bothers me most is how these decisions are made. We parole child molesters and pedophiles everyday, which should not be. Then we lock these kids in jail and throw away the key? I think its wrong. I just think its wrong. 20 years and then parole- sounds just. Maybe these kids can turn their lives around and help stop others from going down that road. That would be more of a tribute to the life of Mr. Cook than this will ever be. An all around tragedy. My prayers are for everyone involved.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Brunswick County Discussions

Search the Brunswick County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Ryan Smithwick a Republican in Name Only (RI... May '14 Rachel Jacobs 23
Has Ryan Smithwick Candidate for DA ever been c... May '14 April Farber 48
DA: Brunswick County sheriff temporarily suspen... (Mar '08) May '14 Les G 13
L.J( Lindsay Jacob Simmons) Litterbug/convicted... (Jan '14) Apr '14 Lis 2
Several arrested on drug charges in Brunswick C... (Jun '11) Mar '14 Ralph 8
4-wheels who mess-up land they don't own (Feb '09) Oct '13 Ford150 2
Fair Bluff names Justin Hewett as new police chief (Jun '12) Feb '13 Easyoff 2
•••
•••