Broward County: Uniform issues go bef...

Broward County: Uniform issues go before the School Board today

There are 14 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Mar 4, 2008, titled Broward County: Uniform issues go before the School Board today. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

The Broward County School Board could decide today two issues on school uniforms: Whether to allow students to opt out of mandatory uniform policies for any reason and whether to give parents at high schools ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

questionable

Pompano Beach, FL

#1 Mar 4, 2008
For security reasons alone uniforms are a good idea, it makes it very easy to identify someone who doesn't belong, however it also makes in-school identification of students who are in altercations difficult to identify for security monitors as all look the same. Tough call.
Ellen-Hollywood

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#2 Mar 4, 2008
Since when did "mandatory" mean "only if you want to"? Why bother to have a uniform policy if the students aren't required to wear uniforms?
HMMMM

United States

#3 Mar 4, 2008
Good points questionable, maybe they could narrow things a little by assigned different grade levels specific colored shirts.
Rodak

Hobe Sound, FL

#4 Mar 4, 2008
One major concept they need to get in education is: pick a policy and stick to it. We have seen steady, major declines in education during the last 50 years as new lame-brained ideas are tested live in our schools.(example: Put PE in, take PE out). It isn't rocket science that good nutrition, exercise/physical education, proper discipline, and subjects the student enjoys such as art and vocations have produced good results around the world with all types of students in the past. If we have changing demographics so that some students cannot function in a proper school, then they need to be excluded from school entirely and placed in an alternative situation away from learning students. Making teacher and administrator pay and benefits the top consideration of education has caused a spiral of decline in education.

As for this particular policy, since we have an open battle over baggy pants leading to taserings and other violence outside the schools, why would we drop a good policy that already addresses this very issue very well and bring this additional problem into the schools? Is our school board taking stupid pills?
TaxPayers Say

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#5 Mar 4, 2008
Uniforms should be mandatory. Just makes sense.
uniform insanity

AOL

#6 Mar 4, 2008
I am so glad that my oldest child is graduating this year and I will be done with all the nonesense of the Broward School Board. The uniform policy is a sham in that it has nothing to do with education. I suggest that the parents who still have children in the schools demand that the School Board address more important issues of education than what a child wears to school.
CONCERNED PARENT

Pompano Beach, FL

#7 Mar 4, 2008
Keep the uniform policy. It should be mandatory at all schools (elementary, middle and high). Also ban students from wearing flip flops to school. For safety reasons. What were they thinking when they approved that?
Another concerned parent

Pompano Beach, FL

#8 Mar 4, 2008
I complete agree with Rodak of Delray Beach. When did uniforms become mandatory in the public school? We have never been told that our kids must wear uniforms. I have never seen one kid in my son's school wear a uniform. Also, if they are old enough to drive themselves to school aren't they old enough to dress themselves? Most kids follow the guidelines. This is not the military. And I wore flipflops to H.S. 30 years ago - never had a problem.
How sad

Hobe Sound, FL

#9 Mar 4, 2008
Rodak wrote:
One major concept they need to get in education is: pick a policy and stick to it. We have seen steady, major declines in education during the last 50 years as new lame-brained ideas are tested live in our schools.(example: Put PE in, take PE out). It isn't rocket science that good nutrition, exercise/physical education, proper discipline, and subjects the student enjoys such as art and vocations have produced good results around the world with all types of students in the past. If we have changing demographics so that some students cannot function in a proper school, then they need to be excluded from school entirely and placed in an alternative situation away from learning students. Making teacher and administrator pay and benefits the top consideration of education has caused a spiral of decline in education.
As for this particular policy, since we have an open battle over baggy pants leading to taserings and other violence outside the schools, why would we drop a good policy that already addresses this very issue very well and bring this additional problem into the schools? Is our school board taking stupid pills?
Did you read the front page of the Sun-Sentinel today? The guy that shot up the Wendy's in West Palm Beach, killed one and wounded 4 others, was wearing a jacket and tie. Keep your stereotypes to yourself. You make no sense.
Brian

AOL

#10 Mar 4, 2008
The point is it is a public school...You want mandatory uniform go private. There is a 10 day wave out period if you do not want your individual child to not have to wear the uniform. If you want your child in a uniform, do not sign the waiver. It's that simple. Don't give in to your kid, when they beg and plead, be a parent. It is not the school boards job to be the parent. It is unconstitutional to enforce uniforms for everyone in a public school.
mic

Miami, FL

#11 Mar 12, 2008
Brian wrote:
The point is it is a public school...You want mandatory uniform go private. There is a 10 day wave out period if you do not want your individual child to not have to wear the uniform. If you want your child in a uniform, do not sign the waiver. It's that simple. Don't give in to your kid, when they beg and plead, be a parent. It is not the school boards job to be the parent. It is unconstitutional to enforce uniforms for everyone in a public school.
unconstitutional?
Olivia

Jensen Beach, FL

#12 Apr 17, 2008
No no uniforms people need something to describe them selves as human beings. I say no uniforms, It makes everyone look the same and people wont follow the rules anyway why bother
tony

Hollywood, FL

#13 Jun 4, 2008
CONCERNED PARENT wrote:
Keep the uniform policy. It should be mandatory at all schools (elementary, middle and high). Also ban students from wearing flip flops to school. For safety reasons. What were they thinking when they approved that?
ur an idiot shut up no unifornm did u ear uniform in hough school? yea ok
Wow

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#14 May 12, 2011
I don't understand why everyone is so against uniforms. I went to a public and a private school. I think the uniform policy is a wonderful idea. It keeps kids focused on school, not on what is the person next to me wearing. It's a lot easier to wake up in the morning knowing what you have to weAr insteAd of trying to be better than the next person. Kids always add a little something extra like makeup or necklace and/ or shoes to show there individuality. So what is the big problem. Instead of buying clothes for a whole year, you buy a few uniforms. Sounds good to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Broward County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News a Give her a chancea : They did, and shea s rea... May 31 Julie Ann 1
News South Florida ports see mixed results in first ... May '16 Jayne 1
News Broward prepares another tow truck crackdown to... May '16 Jayne 1
News The 2016 OBIEs at the Broward County Convention... May '16 Jayne 1
News Man shot at Deerfield Beach home identified May '16 Jayne 1
News Violent crime prediction algorithms are raciall... May '16 Jayne 1
News Broward County May "Ban the Box," Remove Crimin... May '16 Jayne 2
More from around the web