Court weighing egg-donor credence

Court weighing egg-donor credence

There are 7 comments on the Florida Today story from Jun 7, 2012, titled Court weighing egg-donor credence. In it, Florida Today reports that:

State and national legal groups are trying to sway the Florida Supreme Court in a Brevard County parental-rights case that pits two lesbian partners who used in-vitro fertilization to have a child but later ended their relationship.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Florida Today.

Jane

Bronx, NY

#1 Jun 10, 2012
I don't understand the way people think today. If you donate an egg to someone you are giving away a potential child. Genetically the child is not the fake mother who will carry the egg. The child is someone else's child. I hear people talk and either they are retarded or feel guilty that they have done a sin. Lieing in the Bible is a sin. When you have a child in this fashion some people believe that because they carried the child it makes that their child. Wrong! Genetically it is still someone else's child. People today are selfish and this is what it has become in this world. The selfishness and lies are going to create disease in the future.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#2 Jun 10, 2012
Jane wrote:
I don't understand the way people think today. If you donate an egg to someone you are giving away a potential child. Genetically the child is not the fake mother who will carry the egg. The child is someone else's child. I hear people talk and either they are retarded or feel guilty that they have done a sin. Lieing in the Bible is a sin. When you have a child in this fashion some people believe that because they carried the child it makes that their child. Wrong! Genetically it is still someone else's child. People today are selfish and this is what it has become in this world. The selfishness and lies are going to create disease in the future.
Actually, wanting to raise and love a child can never be "selfishness". And being able love and cherish a child not biologically related to you is even less selfish.

Yes, things can get complicated in life, but are you really against adoption, since neither parent is biologically related to their child?

And I would suspect that most of the people who were born from various forms of in vitro would tell you that they are quite glad to have been born, that you very much!

NO child can ever be a "disease", no matter how complicated their arrival into the world was.
Mainline Florida

Tampa, FL

#3 Jun 10, 2012
So, since I was adopted, I am not my mother's daughter?

Really?

Even amoebas can reproduce, it takes much more than genetics to be a parent.:)

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#4 Jun 10, 2012
Instead of creating difficulties like this, there are plenty of children that are waiting to be adopted by loving parents. And the Earth is too overpopulated as it is already with humans. That's why I'm against sperm donations and egg donations.
ajwatts11

Cocoa, FL

#5 Jun 10, 2012
An egg? What about an egg? I've heard that if you smash it with a golf club, the yellow "yolk" can come outta there.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#7 Jun 11, 2012
Florida's statute isn't ill intentioned, like many of these laws, they were written to take into account modern medical advances meeting the legal presumption that a child born into a marriage is a product of that marriage, even in cases where that is a physical impossibility. It just couldn't take into account a set of facts in a case this unique. One woman donating a fertilized to another to carry in a same sex relationship that has no legal right to exist. Under the law, written to protect straight married people by the way, you donate, you're done you have no parental rights. It didn't think that anyone who would donate would be sticking around to be the child's second parent.

The child was born while these two women were in a spousal relationship, legal or not and both acted as parents to the child as long as the relationship lasted. Regardless of what the law says, any legal right as parent surrendered in donating to her spouse, were certainly earned back by her actions as parent to that child. Birth momma is in the wrong here and if she won't learn to share their daughter, maybe with which mother their daughter actually lives is re-decided (see Miller v Jenkins).
ajwatts11

Cocoa, FL

#9 Jun 12, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
Florida's statute isn't ill intentioned, like many of these laws, they were written to take into account modern medical advances meeting the legal presumption that a child born into a marriage is a product of that marriage, even in cases where that is a physical impossibility. It just couldn't take into account a set of facts in a case this unique. One woman donating a fertilized to another to carry in a same sex relationship that has no legal right to exist. Under the law, written to protect straight married people by the way, you donate, you're done you have no parental rights. It didn't think that anyone who would donate would be sticking around to be the child's second parent.
The child was born while these two women were in a spousal relationship, legal or not and both acted as parents to the child as long as the relationship lasted. Regardless of what the law says, any legal right as parent surrendered in donating to her spouse, were certainly earned back by her actions as parent to that child. Birth momma is in the wrong here and if she won't learn to share their daughter, maybe with which mother their daughter actually lives is re-decided (see Miller v Jenkins).
I am in agreement with the post above.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brevard County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heroin Flourishing in Jew Controlled Afghanistan Aug 28 Drug Cop 3
The Latest Jewish Shaft Aug 27 Moshe Lewinsky 2
News Port Canaveral approves $90M bankroll for renov... Aug 27 Dan in Brevard 1
Moses and the Mosers Aug 27 Chabad Boys 3
Slime Bag Mick Back on the Radio Live Aug 27 Tony Bagels 15
Axe Wieldng Nazi Antisemites Ehh We Think Aug 26 Holobaloney 1
Jewish Diversity Strikes Again Aug 25 Dish Mouth 11
More from around the web