Parents sue over single-sex classrooms

Parents sue over single-sex classrooms

There are 3 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Jan 4, 2008, titled Parents sue over single-sex classrooms. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

“We assumed incorrectly that everyone knew we did that”

A group of Breckinridge County parents have filed a federal lawsuit over the local middle school's use of single-sex classes to boost learning. via The Courier-Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Parent

Irvington, KY

#1 Jan 23, 2008
The names are not on the case due to children being minors. We want the classes stopped and offered legally as an option to the parent in their childrens education. Not beiing assigned by school personal without any reason or proof in righting and the district was asked to comply with the law in August. Some of the opt out classes are not offered in a coeducational setting. We tried many times through many options
with no success. I assure sue sue sue is not the issue and neither is the monetary damages. IT IS AS SIMPLE AS A PARENTS RIGHTS AND THE TITLE ix LAW. So don't assume when you have no details.
SPELLING COUNTS

Owensboro, KY

#2 Jul 2, 2008
I taught for 30 years - just recently retired. I think ALL middle school classes should be segregated. I think in Louisville, they have even worked it out where one school is all middle school girls and another is all middle school boys. Yea! Rah! When, as a teacher, you have to deal with middle school kids spending practically all of their day flirting and or passing notes, etc......it's very frustrating to have to keep 'reeling them in' to focus on academics. I did not teach in this system, but I know several of the teachers and administrators. They are top notch! They do not deserve this type of response!
KYgrlchillin

United States

#3 Jul 27, 2008
I do have a child in this school system and a subsitute teacher at that, If I wanted my daughter to go to all girl school I would have placed her in one. This is something that is up to the parents. The problem is all parent where sent letters home, and if you are not involved with your child you will not know what is going on in the school system. People think the kids go to school who cares I don't have to worry about a babysitter all day. This is wrong be INVOLVED WITH YOUR CHILDREN LOOK in thier bookbags, Ask them questions about thier day! Geeesh kids minds are on alot of things and do forget they have a paper that needs to be signed. Three kids and 2 step children all graduate so I know what I am talking about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Breckinridge County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Becky's Knotty Pine Feb 22 Susan 1
Danielle Segura Feb 19 Anon 2
Attorney Rick Hardin (Mar '15) Feb 13 Kimberly 4
There is a cancer in the area Jan 30 Moi 1
Heather norton Jan 30 Word 1
Breckinridge in 1840 Jan 28 J Miles 1
Sarah Butler AKA sarah partipilo Jan '17 Tommy gun 2
More from around the web