Chronister's $2.5 million anti-crime ...

Chronister's $2.5 million anti-crime proposal hits a snag

There are 5 comments on the InYork story from Jan 21, 2008, titled Chronister's $2.5 million anti-crime proposal hits a snag. In it, InYork reports that:

Attorneys, the state sheriffs' association and others have serious questions about whether, and to what extent, the county can use sheriff's deputies to fight crime as proposed by President York County ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at InYork.

Tom P

Mount Aetna, PA

#1 Jan 21, 2008
This is not MD. Sheriffs are hire to do court stuff not catch criminals. Have the city hire new police officers and pay them, not use my county money to pay for city enforcement.
Walt Bosley

York, PA

#2 Jan 22, 2008
Where is the outrage with all this? Who is Chronister? What makes him qualified to assess the crime situation and come up with solutions to the problem. Two plus million dollars from York County residents to save York??? And what will that get us ... a couple more housing inspectors and legal street thugs called the Guardian Angels??? He must be stopped. He is like the rest of the people running York City ... do whatever you want and then let the people pick up the legal tab for all of the lawsuits.

York County could have had tourist attractions ... Susquehannock Indian Village, Susquahannock Indian Burial Ground, Revolutionary Prisoner of War Camp ... oh no ... we must have more land development.

Chronister and Reilly ... aren't they both Real Estate kind of people???

Let them sell land ... stay out of my wallet.
Distressed

Moorestown, NJ

#3 Jan 22, 2008
What is wrong with you TOM P? To say Deputies are nothing more than court Staff is totally wrong. I know a Deputy in York. He is out on the street all of the time serving warrants and doing law enforcement work along with other members of his Office. Two years ago 5 Deputies were serving a Warrant in York when one of the Deputies was shot and had to return fire killing the person. The year before that the Deputies in York had to respond to a situation where a female and a lawyer was accousted by a man with a gun. They also had to shoot him. I guess in your eyes if they would have turned and looked the other way in both cases you would have been fine with that. Right? You should be proud of the York County sheriff's Office and fighting for their rights instead of acting like they are less than they rightfully are!
Tom P

Camp Hill, PA

#4 Jan 22, 2008
Distresed, you are exactly right. Deputies serve warrant, which are court paperwork. they assisted a woman in need, felony in progress. I did not say they do dangerous work. They can't proactively police. This plan is a way to make the residents outside York City pay for police work in the City. I have respect for Sheriffs but the scope of their enforcement is limited by law.
Dumbfounded

Goldsboro, NC

#5 Jan 22, 2008
Ok, all of you that think that deputies should not police are clueless. Ok yes PA is not MD.....Thank god, but if you look at the national trend sheriffs are the policing agency for the county in which they are in. Think about this, if you had one police or LE dept for york county how big of a dept would that be. Think of all the experts for each dept that could come together and provide a better service for the county, also the deputies already have county wide jurisdiction, also if those of you that say that deoputies should not conduct investigations, what if a deputy is driving down the street and sees someone carry a flat panel tv, and does not stop to investigate this, oh wait they just broke into your home and stole your things, but wait you don't want them to do anything because it didn't happen in their presence and you don't think they have the authority. Get a grip, the reason people are up in arms about this is becasue they like to have their little local PD's and also its a freakin power struggle so that the borough's and townships can't have the power over the PD's. Come into the 21st century York County and also PA for christs sake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bradford County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sayre man accused of severely injuring infant (Jan '11) Oct '13 momof2 7
News Power Outage Hits Northern Pennsylvania (May '13) May '13 Luke 1
News Gas companies don't care about quality of life (Jan '13) Feb '13 Debbie 2
Thunder Road Gillett (Aug '12) Aug '12 Jan 1
News Chesapeake building more 'man camps' in Bradfor... (Nov '10) Jul '12 wife 54
News Governor Corbett issues execution orders for th... (May '12) May '12 Sheik Yerbouti 1
News Residents: dozens of wells in Bradford County h... (Apr '11) Jan '12 patty1752 15
More from around the web