A Public Monument to Atheism-In Florida

A Public Monument to Atheism-In Florida

There are 20 comments on the Religion Dispatched story from Jun 28, 2013, titled A Public Monument to Atheism-In Florida. In it, Religion Dispatched reports that:

A bench engraved with quotes from Thomas Jefferson, Madalyn Murray O'Hair, Benjamin Franklin, and other atheists and freethinkers will be placed alongside a monument of the Ten Commandments on display in front of the Bradford County Courthouse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Religion Dispatched.

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Leicester, UK

#1 Jun 28, 2013
Why is this still news?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#2 Jun 28, 2013
they should put up a muslim monument...that should piss the christians there off...

funny how the christians seem to hate their cult brethren the muslims so much...they worship the same god.

just the inherent divisiveness of religion, i guess...
Curt brown

Gainesville, FL

#3 Jun 29, 2013
Woodtick, you ought to know the facts before you slam Christians. Read all of the quran to understand exactly what it is about. Christians do not hate muslims but we need to fear what they stand for.
Lin

Amelia, OH

#4 Jun 30, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
they should put up a muslim monument...that should piss the christians there off...
funny how the christians seem to hate their cult brethren the muslims so much...they worship the same god.
just the inherent divisiveness of religion, i guess...
No, muslims worship allah and Christians worship the Father of Jesus Christ.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#5 Jun 30, 2013
Lin wrote:
<quoted text>
Lies on both sides.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#6 Jun 30, 2013
Lin wrote:
<quoted text>
I always find this idea funny: debating if Allah and God are the same god. Which is the 'true God'?

If Abrahamic religions are man-made they are presumably a question of who was the 'correct prophet', Jesus or Mohammed. The god is the same one for both religions, only 'the way to him' is different.

Alternatively, religions are god-given and Godallah is too stupid to even be clear about which one is correct, so people tend to just follow whichever one they happen to be born into. Most of us can't even find His crazy superstitious cults of much merit these days.

Religion = superstition. It's divisive and outdated.

Henderson, KY

#7 Jun 30, 2013
This story made me LOL soooo much. I can't wait for more and more of these to go up and hey let's get them closer to the 10 Commandments like right beside each other. :)
Jan Tetstone

Chiefland, FL

#8 Jul 3, 2013
Four days before the Atheist monument was placed along side the Ten Commandment monument at the Bradford County Courthouse a Judge ruled that the statue of Jesus on Big Mountain near Whitefish, Mont. could stay.

The more atheist monuments put on government property- the weaker the atheist argument gets in their efforts to remove any crosses and other religious monuments from government owned property.

I am proud to live in Bradford County, Florida.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#9 Jul 3, 2013
How long before the atheist monument is vandalized?

Place your bets!

Henderson, KY

#10 Jul 3, 2013
Four days before?

Different state and the decision came way back in 2011, hardly 4 days ago.

And perhaps we should wait and see as more atheist monuments go up before making your claim hmm?
Jan Tetstone wrote:
Four days before the Atheist monument was placed along side the Ten Commandment monument at the Bradford County Courthouse a Judge ruled that the statue of Jesus on Big Mountain near Whitefish, Mont. could stay.

The more atheist monuments put on government property- the weaker the atheist argument gets in their efforts to remove any crosses and other religious monuments from government owned property.

Jan Tetstone

Chiefland, FL

#11 Jul 4, 2013
I see there's more than one posting here who have a problem keeping the "facts" straight...

Judge rules Jesus statue can stay on Big Mountain near Whitefish, Mont.

By Associated Press,June 25, 2013

HELENA, Mont. A Jesus statue that has for six decades been a curiosity to skiers as they cruise down a popular run at a northwest Montana ski resort will not be evicted from federal land, a judge ruled Tuesday.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-06-25...

Henderson, KY

#12 Jul 5, 2013
Yawns at old news from an unrelated state and incident.

The atheist monument is very popular among the younger generations. That is what is so upsetting to the Christholes.

The future generations are more and more moving away from the old beliefs in some Palestinian tribal god.

This is wonderful news.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#13 Jul 6, 2013
Lin wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter how many sock puppet handles you make Lincoln, you're ignorant opinions about atheists and scientists will matter after you're brave enough to prove the creationist god you're here to lie to us about.

You can change your name & location on Topix, but your ip is known.
LCN Llin

United States

#14 Jul 6, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter how many sock puppet handles you make Lincoln, you're ignorant opinions about atheists and scientists will matter after you're brave enough to prove the creationist god you're here to lie to us about.
You can change your name & location on Topix, but your ip is known.
As the police put it, anything you post may be used as evidence against you. But really original people do not have to post as a 14 year old girl.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#15 Jul 7, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
As the police put it, anything you post may be used as evidence against you. But really original people do not have to post as a 14 year old girl.
Its ok to be wrong Lincoln, I know your mental illness prevents you from saying it, but at least this verbal diahorrea is your way of coping with the fact that you're lying about god and its having no effect here.
serfs up

Ormond Beach, FL

#16 Jul 7, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yawns at old news from an unrelated state and incident.
The atheist monument is very popular among the younger generations. That is what is so upsetting to the Christholes.
The future generations are more and more moving away from the old beliefs in some Palestinian tribal god.
This is wonderful news.
You give people to much credit. People always move to structure. We are moving from freedom with a religious structure to tyranny with a government structure. The ideas you spout may sound good, but people are what they are. And if you really look at what is happening in America, we are falling apart with responsible behaviors. And that is not freedom if someone else is charged for it.

Henderson, KY

#17 Jul 7, 2013
I am sure you thought this made sense. Religion does not offer freedom, religion is authoritarian to the core.
serfs up wrote:
<quoted text>You give people to much credit. People always move to structure. We are moving from freedom with a religious structure to tyranny with a government structure. The ideas you spout may sound good, but people are what they are. And if you really look at what is happening in America, we are falling apart with responsible behaviors. And that is not freedom if someone else is charged for it.
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#223 Dec 4, 2013
Jan Tetstone wrote:
Different cases, different fact patterns.

We established some time ago that you have little to no understanding of constitutional law. I'm not sure you really understand what it is you are "proud" of.
Jan Tetstone

Archer, FL

#224 Dec 9, 2013
Strel wrote:
<quoted text>
Different cases, different fact patterns.
We established some time ago that you have little to no understanding of constitutional law. I'm not sure you really understand what it is you are "proud" of.
I'm not the one who claims to be an attorney.
I am "proud" to be an American.
Happy Holidays, to you and yours....Strel.
anonymous

Apopka, FL

#225 Dec 31, 2014
Islam = terrorism

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bradford County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bradford County Residents Receptive To Phosphat... Apr '16 Jonathon 2
State Road 100 west (Dec '14) Dec '14 janice johns 1
News Man stabbed at Lake Butler house party (Sep '14) Sep '14 justin 2
News Atheists sue Florida County to remove Ten Comma... (May '12) Dec '13 Strel 194
News North Fla. county to allow atheist monument (Jun '13) Dec '13 Strel 2
News Atheist monument is more American than Ten Comm... (Jun '13) Dec '13 Strel 3
News 9 arrested in pill distribution ring (Nov '13) Nov '13 other skinny 1
More from around the web