Rock climber falls 100 feet at Eldorado State Park

Full story: KUSA Denver

The Boulder County Sheriff's Office says a 50-year-old man was climbing a popular route known as the "Red Garden Wall" with a friend when he fell Saturday afternoon.
Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated May 20, 2007
matt

Littleton, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

ouch
Allie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Hope he recovers soon. That had to hurt.
Jane Doe

Redwood City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

No commernts,
Scott

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Hope he's okay, and I hope he was wearing a helmet. That's a beautiful climb with lots of climbers so there's always a risk some rocks will get knocked down onto you.
Nobodys Fool

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Eyewitness reports say he was on Rewritten - took a fall and pulled two pieces. I'll venture a guess he was on the crack just past the airy traverse around pitch 4. It's pretty much a straight-shot down from there and without a helmet he would likely have suffered a much more severe batch of injuries. Rescue crews state he suffered a broken scapula. Hope he mends quickly and will share his TR with all.

Rescue crews were extremely busy yesterday - in addition to this event, a gal suffered a seizure at Eldo and was transported out. A mock rescue had also been planned which the crews still intended to complete. Here's to the great SAR teams we have in Colorado - but everyone please be careful out there and don't give the crews unnecessary work because of someone's carelessness.
team good

Lafayette, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Nobodys Fool wrote:
Eyewitness reports say he was on Rewritten - took a fall and pulled two pieces. I'll venture a guess he was on the crack just past the airy traverse around pitch 4. It's pretty much a straight-shot down from there and without a helmet he would likely have suffered a much more severe batch of injuries. Rescue crews state he suffered a broken scapula. Hope he mends quickly and will share his TR with all.
Rescue crews were extremely busy yesterday - in addition to this event, a gal suffered a seizure at Eldo and was transported out. A mock rescue had also been planned which the crews still intended to complete. Here's to the great SAR teams we have in Colorado - but everyone please be careful out there and don't give the crews unnecessary work because of someone's carelessness.
what kind of rock is that?
Numbers

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Ouchy is right
Nobodys Fool

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Eldo is mature quartz sandstone.
Network Engineer

Arvada, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

This is the reason why rock climbing never was my cup of tea. When you fall you either break your back or you are dead. I have never heard of anyone falling that just walked away. I have a lot of respect for the sport. But could never do such a thing. It also the reason why I never got into motorcycles. Everyone that I know who has every crashed on a motorcycle either has major medical problems or walk with one hell of a limp.
Nobodys Fool

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Statistically, there are more deaths in the US caused by drunk drivers than from rock climbing. Network, you might want to reconsider driving to work.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••