CU student won't be prosecuted for Virginia Tech comment

Full story: KUSA Denver 24
The Boulder County district attorney's office says it will not prosecute a University of Colorado student over statements he made after the Virginia Tech massacre, provided he stays out of trouble for a year. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Andrew

Denver, CO

#2 Aug 22, 2007
I think our friends at the AP and 9News did us a disservice by omitting a few of the necessary details. From what's written, the problem sounds like a freedom of speech issue to me, in which case filing charges would be entirely inappropriate.

If I believe in our law enforcement personnel, I can only assume that the way in which he presented his statements must have been threatening, forceful, or intimidating. Either that, or he must have made them at a time that was completely inappropriate and distruptive, such as by shouting out in the middle of a lecture at a time when discussion was neither invited nor allowed.

Without any additional details though, there's no way to know. I really would have liked to see 9News put more behind this article before posting it so that I could draw my own conculsions about whether any charges would be warranted.
Carl Jr

Erie, CO

#3 Aug 22, 2007
Huh? W.T.F.? What's this got to do with the article???
Nothing like posting unrelated comments...
Kennedy

Elizabeth, CO

#4 Aug 22, 2007
matt wrote:
these 6 people on this list think children with autism are criminals which is sick
1.gordon brown-is a liar on mental health issues
2.tony blair-cold hearted person
3.tim kaine-very stupid person
4.george w bush-thinks drugging innocent austic children is cool which is sick
5,ray barno-is a bigot
6.cathy jamieson-is very stupid
What are you talking about?
PEACE UP ATOWN DOWN

Denver, CO

#5 Aug 22, 2007
Andrew wrote:
I think our friends at the AP and 9News did us a disservice by omitting a few of the necessary details. From what's written, the problem sounds like a freedom of speech issue to me, in which case filing charges would be entirely inappropriate.
If I believe in our law enforcement personnel, I can only assume that the way in which he presented his statements must have been threatening, forceful, or intimidating. Either that, or he must have made them at a time that was completely inappropriate and distruptive, such as by shouting out in the middle of a lecture at a time when discussion was neither invited nor allowed.
Without any additional details though, there's no way to know. I really would have liked to see 9News put more behind this article before posting it so that I could draw my own conculsions about whether any charges would be warranted.
ID HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS NOTE.
Kcee

Raleigh, NC

#6 Aug 22, 2007
Kennedy wrote:
<quoted text>What are you talking about?
Did you forget your medicine?
Disgusted

United States

#7 Aug 22, 2007
It seems to me that these charges are nothing but harassment. While I don't agree with what the student said, there is such a thing as free speach.
Disgusted

United States

#8 Aug 22, 2007
Correction: That should have been 'speech', not 'speach'. I need to learn how to spell correctly. :P
RunGirl

Bethlehem, PA

#9 Aug 22, 2007
Disgusted wrote:
It seems to me that these charges are nothing but harassment. While I don't agree with what the student said, there is such a thing as free speach.
Free speech? We need to be mindful of what we say. This is the same situation as going to TSA in the airport and saying you have a bomb in your luggage. Just don't do it!
CU Student

Boulder, CO

#10 Aug 22, 2007
As a little more information, he made his statements during a class which was having an open discussion on the Virginia Tech shootings. What he said was at a bad time, which shows low maturity, but was in no way illegal.
getalife

Denver, CO

#11 Aug 22, 2007
Another loon from the 15th ranked pot smoking school in the nation. good job CU.
THC

Longmont, CO

#12 Aug 22, 2007
RunGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Free speech? We need to be mindful of what we say. This is the same situation as going to TSA in the airport and saying you have a bomb in your luggage. Just don't do it!
I disagree ! You should be able to run into an airport and say you have a bomb. If your empty handed and don't have one, good prank.

This is a complete injustice and motive from the people allowing YOURS and MY RIGHTS to free speech be eliminated. What do you expect us to be ? A bunch of mutes walking around naked for the security of the nation ?
tired

Longmont, CO

#13 Aug 22, 2007
Eventually all the people who cry

"did your forget your medication"
" that offends me" or " your a bigot"
"watch what you say" and all that other political phrases to strip me of my freedom etc....

will be targets when this nation has THE major meltdown. Call me billy the kidd of the new world !

One Man can change the suburb with enough ammunition !
President Bush Supporter

Broomfield, CO

#14 Aug 22, 2007
The DA made the decision not to prosecute because there was no crime. All of you who are assuming facts are misinformed. This was during a class discussion about the VT murders and was about asking the quesiton, what oculd drive someone to do this. The student answered that he could understand how being ostercized on a campus can cause someone to act out violently. He must be a republican frustrated with the liberal jibberish coming from his professors. Then some little lib who thinks you can say only things that agree with HER view, complained. This is plain and simple censorship perpetrated by those who do so frequently in this country, Liberals.
Educated

United States

#15 Aug 22, 2007
Disgusted wrote:
There's also such a thing as spell check. Freedom of speech only exists between you and the government. You must take responsibility for your words when you are out in public. A school, employer, service provider can restrict what you say by not allowing you to enter their premises, not provide their services, even fire you from your job. Instead of throwing out the "freedom of speech" arguement, you should take the time to know what the law states on the matter.
justin

Denver, CO

#16 Aug 22, 2007
as much as this guy sucks, this is a huge victory for free speech on a campus that is intolerant of normal people.
justin

Denver, CO

#17 Aug 22, 2007
educated- you need to go get educated. A PRIVATE school has the right to restrict speech, but a government funded school does not.(See: Ward Churchill).
Scottrb

San Francisco, CA

#18 Aug 22, 2007
Bottom line; We haven't made poor taste a crime... yet.

“Please save us not the whales”

Since: May 07

Denver

#19 Aug 22, 2007
From The Clash's song "Know your rights"

you have the right to free speach......as long as your not dumb enough to actually try it.
justin

Denver, CO

#20 Aug 22, 2007
email the dems, they will get right on it
Iggy

Fort Lupton, CO

#21 Aug 22, 2007
CU Student wrote:
As a little more information, he made his statements during a class which was having an open discussion on the Virginia Tech shootings. What he said was at a bad time, which shows low maturity, but was in no way illegal.
Exactly, it was the day after the trajedy, he was involved in a heated classroom discussion and in my opinion it was blown way out of proportion. I think that it was too fresh in other peoples minds that they got scared. Had the discussion taken place 2 weeks after the shooting would it have been better? Probably not, but maybe it would not have been so blown out of proportion.

What I don't understand is when did someone tell him to stop discussing it making the conversation obstructive?

But from what I read about it the 1st time and the this time, it is free speech, not popular, but free speech none the same. If they would have pursued charges they would have lost and opened them up for a civil liberties suit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boulder County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
T-C Line: Seniors are the ones we should be con... Aug 25 alienbhindu 1
State Attorneys General Defy Public Support for... Aug '14 DNF 115
CO Supreme Court orders Boulder County to stop ... Jul '14 WeTheSheeple 25
Senate passes highway bill, sends it back to House Jul '14 Le Jimbo 1
Colorado appeals court denies bid to block same... Jul '14 Belle Sexton 6
Dozens of Gay-Marriage Licenses Issued in Colorado Jul '14 WasteWater 17
Gay marriage showdown looms in Colorado Jul '14 buttandbust 16
•••

Boulder County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE