Club helps Colorado trails thrive

Club helps Colorado trails thrive

There are 82 comments on the KUSA Denver story from Aug 25, 2007, titled Club helps Colorado trails thrive. In it, KUSA Denver reports that:

When the Rising Sun 4x4 club members come rolling up in their Toyota Landcruisers it's usually for a day fun on the trail, but this weekend members like John Henley showed up to work.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KUSA Denver.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
SDC

Denver, CO

#1 Aug 25, 2007
What exactly is a "steal" kiosk?
Sniper

Denver, CO

#2 Aug 25, 2007
I wondered that too.

Too bad the horse clubs and the mtn. bike groups that build and maintain many, many trails across the state (like the Colorado Trail) don't go looking for publicity like this. Maybe that needs to change. But I definitely can say I've never built a steal kiosk. LOL.
Mountaineer

Fort Collins, CO

#3 Aug 25, 2007
Every group that does trail maintenance goes looking for publicity like this, no matter what they use it for (hiking, biking, wheeling..). It's great to see it finally happen. Lots of people who use the trails spend large amounts of volunteer time and money to maintain them, and it's awesome when they're recognized. It needs to happen way more than it does.

Granted, usually they put up steel signs, but I guess steal ones will work in a pinch.
Dave

Parker, CO

#4 Aug 25, 2007
BIG THANKS to you guys!! As an avid wheeler, I know first hand how hard the work is that Rising Sun has done, and how much more of it there is to do.

And who cares if they sought out publicity or not? The more people that recognize that it's NOT OKAY to just go wherever they want in the mountains the better, and stories like this help show that.
genius

United States

#5 Aug 25, 2007
Irresponsible ATV owners who drive off established trails have destroyed and damaged many fragile eco systems.
abc

Denver, CO

#6 Aug 26, 2007
On Saturday a dozen people gathered to start drilling holes and pouring concrete for a new steal kiosk for the Jenny Creek Trail Head.
Who's going to steal a steel kiosk?
Dave

Parker, CO

#7 Aug 26, 2007
abc wrote:
On Saturday a dozen people gathered to start drilling holes and pouring concrete for a new steal kiosk for the Jenny Creek Trail Head.
Who's going to steal a steel kiosk?
How much steel could a silver squirrel steal if a silver squirrel could steal steel?
Dave

Parker, CO

#8 Aug 26, 2007
genius wrote:
Irresponsible ATV owners who drive off established trails have destroyed and damaged many fragile eco systems.
And that is why this group spent their saturday doing this! To help educate people to stay on the established routes and enjoy our wonderful state responsibly!

Sadly enough, it is not commonly known that motorized and mechanized travel on public lands is limited to marked and existing roads ONLY. It is NOT OKAY to go wherever you want. The USFS has put up signs all over the place indicating where it is okay and to go, and even more signs indicating where it is NOT okay to go. These carsonite signs are very easily destroyed by people who are severely mistaken in thinking it's their "right" to go wherever they way. Hopefully this kiosk has a better fate.

PLEASE ENJOY THE MOUNTAINS RESPONSIBLY. RESPECT the ground you travel on, RESPECT the other users of the area, and just use some common sense.

I'm off to Bill Moore Lake now to enjoy a beautiful day in the CO mountains!!!

Since: Mar 07

Littleton, CO

#9 Aug 26, 2007
These guys do more to tear up the mountains than they can possibly repair.
The King

Denver, CO

#10 Aug 26, 2007
phineas T wrote:
Totally agree - this effort is like putting perfume on a pig. How the hell does a kiosk protect the ecosystem from rednecks?...answer - it does nothing.

Littleton, CO

#11 Aug 26, 2007
Take a look at these knuckleheads.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/officers.asp
THC

San Francisco, CA

#12 Aug 26, 2007
Excellent, lets help preserve our trails, but screw our economy and homeless.

With foreclosures at an all time high, the trails will make great bedding for everyone.

Instead of trying to regain control of our government and rid of tyrants in office, we'll just find time to go play with rocks and dirt and put a deaf ear and blind eyes to REAL PROBLEMS THAT PLAGUE OUR COUNTRY.

This is a complete waste of humanity.
RLC

AOL

#14 Aug 26, 2007
THC wrote:
With foreclosures at an all time high, the trails will make great bedding for everyone.
Instead of trying to regain control of our government and rid of tyrants in office, we'll just find time to go play with rocks and dirt and put a deaf ear and blind eyes to REAL PROBLEMS THAT PLAGUE OUR COUNTRY.
I agree it's all soon to collapse, so rather than p!ss into the wind and try and turn around the Titanic by screaming at it, I just get ready for the inevitable. So Bingo, that's my plan for those that are like-minded.
Whose counting

Denver, CO

#15 Aug 26, 2007
THC wrote:
Insert hand wringing here. This post is almost Moslem-esque in its suggestion. Like we should live COMPLETELY and WHOLLY for our country and forget about having pleasure in life. I think it's okay for people to have outside interests (pardon the pun). Would you suggest that people put 100 percent of their energies into regaining control of our government. Or are you merely suggesting that the news article is turning a deaf ear to the problems plaguing our country by posting it?
Whose counting

Denver, CO

#16 Aug 26, 2007
RLC wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree it's all soon to collapse, so rather than p!ss into the wind and try and turn around the Titanic by screaming at it, I just get ready for the inevitable. So Bingo, that's my plan for those that are like-minded.
Exactly RLC, prepare for the future and take care of yourself and your own Hear here.
RLC

AOL

#17 Aug 26, 2007
Whose counting wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly RLC, prepare for the future and take care of yourself and your own Hear here.
Taking care of others has proven to be a bad investment. Finding someone that has true "heart" is difficult these days. But I am always willing to make room for those that an understanding can be reached with. However there has to be reliable cooperation or else one is better off without. You can't get there if you don't know where it is. And you won't know where it is if you can't set aside the past, and make an accomodation to the present. When the sh!t hits the fan, like musical chairs, if you don't have a seat scoped out, you'll be out on yer a$$

Littleton, CO

#18 Aug 27, 2007
Drunken Cowboy wrote:
Took a look at the knuckleheads and noticed that the first one looks like he's going to bust a crankcase and spill oil all over those boulders.
The second one needs to use that gym membership she got for Christmas.
I'd buy weed from the third one.
The fourth one is wearing down the sandstone formations outside of Moab so that they will be polished smooth and flat for future generations.
The fifth one is trying to up the ante on oil spillage.
The sixth one is preparing to stir up the creek bed so that the water will be undrinkable for man or beast.
The seventh one is actively making the water in the creek undrinkable while running over trout and aquatic wildlife, assuming that is a creek. It could be a road that was worn down by ORVs so badly that the creek that ran next to it jumped its banks and now runs down the road.
So, it really is news when folks like this dig a post hole and put up a sign to protect a trail. It's like watching a convicted child molester open a daycare center and leaving one child unraped to show how good he is to children.
Best post ever! Thanks.
Dave

Parker, CO

#19 Aug 27, 2007
phineas T wrote:
Actually OHV travel in CO is primarily reserved to old mining roads and Forest Service roads that are ALL LEGAL PUBLIC ROADS. They erected this sign to help inform other people of that so that our PUBLIC LANDS can remain public by educating people on how to properly and responsibly enjoy motorized recreation.
Mike

Livermore, CA

#20 Aug 27, 2007
Nice work Rising Sun 4x4!!!!
kat

AOL

#21 Aug 27, 2007
i ckecked out the site and they look like a bunch of people going out and having a great time. I give them kudo's for trying to fix trails that the ATV's screw up and they have done so much damage. HAve you gone on any of the trails and seen what they look like.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boulder County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Case Against Karr Falls Apart (Aug '06) Nov '16 Jinghal 381
Boulder County Arrest Records and Criminal Mug... Oct '16 Ethan 2
News Boulder weather: High of 61 today with more str... (Feb '16) Feb '16 JANACE 1
News Longtime Lafayette preschool Kiddie Kopia close... (Jun '15) Jun '15 three letters 1
News Crime spree: Arson, animal cruelty charges adde... (Feb '15) Feb '15 ThugKillah 1
Wed 10/2914 event at Millennium Harvest House (Oct '14) Oct '14 EvaKosinski 1
News T-C Line: Seniors are the ones we should be con... (Aug '14) Aug '14 alienbhindu 1
More from around the web