2011 VOTE in Coal Creek Canyon to Raise Property Taxes
Posted in the Boulder County Forum
#1 Oct 20, 2011
PARK AND RECREATION DISTRICT VOTE 2011
PROPERTY TAX INCREASE
The CCC Park and Recreation District was voted in 2009 in an off-election year. Few people voted, and it won by less than 1% of residents. The election for directors was not held because there were not enough people running, so those running were awarded the position.
A PROPERTY TAX INCREASE in another off-election year is present. Colorado's Election Blue Book had benefits of raising taxes to support the District - there was no rebuttal to this issue, so I thought I'd list some for you.
1. This is a property tax increase. In this deep recession, people are struggling. It's bad to increase taxes to support an unnecessary project while unemployment and foreclosures are high.$50 is a lot of money for those trying to make ends meet.
2. Over 50% of this project is from taxes. That's excessive.
3. Those who want the amenities should work for what they want. Those who don't use the facilities should not pay for the luxury benefits of others.
4. Okay, if you think the tax hike is not much money, then the money should be able to be raised through other means, such as fund-raising drives, bake sales, flea markets, bike races, walks for the District, gifts (mugs, t-shirts) with the District logo or Coal Creek Canyon scenery, donations, and so forth.
5. Budget & Liability Insurance
The budget should be transparent before we approve the funding. How will the money be allocated on land, building, maintenance, insurances? The executive compensation should be revealed. What will be the yearly maintenance cost? How much land is wanted?
If someone gets seriously injured on the property, are the homeowners liable?
WATER source? Trucking in water has almost doubled in 15 years. The cost will not go down.
How will sewage be managed?
How will the "outdoor amenities" be managed? Will it be open for free use by outsiders? How am I assured to have access before outsiders? Will it be monitored 24x7? Will they be cleaned daily?
6. Our Canyon is peaceful as is. A congregation area like this will emit more noise. Neighbors who work at night may find the day noise unacceptable.
7. We here in the community have outdoor amenities in our own yards.
8. We have parks and a facility within or adjacent to the District. The District should cooperate with those entities to improve them.
1. Walker Ranch Park: bike & trails
2. Coal Creek Canyon Park: JeffCo is planning to improve with tables, restrooms, and trail heads and disabled accessible.
3. Gross Reservoir: fishing, picnics, trails
4. The Elementary School Grounds:soccer, baseball
5. The CCCIA Hall: exercise groups, weight clinic,...
6. And other areas
9. The costs may be underestimated. Many projects are underbidm gets partially completed, and more money is requested. Either the design will be modified or more taxes are requested. There isn't that much flat space up here. A sloped lot may force a design change ($$). If they have to blast, that increases the $$$.
10. The Park and Recreation District can continue with a modest budget without raising our taxes. Some ideas include the following:
Summer baseball leagues
Exercise groups and weight clinics at the Hall
Nature walks at Gross or one of the parks listed above
Fishing lessons and contests
11. Reduction of Wildlife Habitat & EMINENT DOMAIN. The acres of land acquisition, either by purchasing or eminent domain, will reduce the wildlife paths and habitat in an already congested area. Numerous species live or migrate through the District. A park where dogs and people frequent will push the wildlife out. Many people live the mountains to be among the wildlife.
This message should also give the District ideas on how to launch activities on a modest budget.
*** Good things come to those who wait ***
Add your comments below
|Case Against Karr Falls Apart (Aug '06)||Dec '16||Shalizar||383|
|JonBenet grand juror: I've seen secret evidence||Dec '16||KCinNYC||19|
|Boulder County Arrest Records and Criminal Mug...||Oct '16||Ethan||2|
|Boulder weather: High of 61 today with more str... (Feb '16)||Feb '16||JANACE||1|
|Longtime Lafayette preschool Kiddie Kopia close... (Jun '15)||Jun '15||three letters||1|
|Crime spree: Arson, animal cruelty charges adde... (Feb '15)||Feb '15||ThugKillah||1|
|Wed 10/2914 event at Millennium Harvest House (Oct '14)||Oct '14||EvaKosinski||1|
Find what you want!
Search Boulder County Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC