2B or Not 2B a Youth Coach

Posted in the Bledsoe County Forum

passnthru

Pikeville, TN

#1 Jul 28, 2009
What credentials does local, hometown boy Rep. Eric Swafford, possess that allows him to continue to be a shoe-in for "coach" of the Little Blue Warriors football teams? Being a "community service" coach just bolsters Swafford's resume for future political advantage. Start paying attention Bledsonians to the political ploys being exerted over our youth by political wannabes. Take a stand! Speak out! Attend meetings!
passnthru

Pikeville, TN

#2 Jul 28, 2009
Rep. Eric Swafford -- an ill-equipped person to act as coach of the Little Blue Warriors; a tyrant and fool who so abuses his own child in public that I am embarrassed for him (and to think he made Bledsoe Co look stupid in a national forum, when he was only reflectng himself). And yet again he is coaching, cursing, screaming, and ranting at our youth on the Little Blue football field another summer. When will Bledsoe countians put a stop to this power grab of the Swafford family.(Daddy, John, is in charge of the county fair, which is now a losing endeavor for the county because of poor management; Momma, who has taken hold of the reins of the Fairest of the Fair Pageant and has made it a veritable laughingstock; and brother, Jim, late football coach of Grundy Co High School, who was fired from that teaching position becaue of allegations of his "yearnings" for impressionable young female school girls. Currently, Jim Swafford has come back into Bledsoe Co TN and purchased a 'quick mart & gas station' near the high school that he has named "Warriors"; and Jim Swafford is freely, and unconditionally, ranging the ground of the Little Blue Warrior football field and acting as an assistant coach for his brother, Eric's, youth team. Folks,enough should be enough! What does it take to rid ourselves of child predators?(Allegations against Swafford have not been settled & Swafford cannot teach any more until he can pass TBI background investigation, which he cannot do at this time.) Registered child predators in Bledsoe Co are not permitted near our children; Jim Swafford is no different than one of those felony predators. Keep him away from children until he has cleared his name and reputation. Alert your female children to beware of this predator! Monitor what's going on in your county. Put a stop to one or two families trying to have control of an entire county. Vote these power hungry vultures out of their committees and stewardships. Most importantly, take a stand and protect our innocent youth. Don't wait for disaster to occur before taking action!
Vol

Columbus, OH

#3 Aug 25, 2009
Why would a certified teacher resign before the end of the school year? I cannot believe that running a convenience store would be more lucrative than a career in education. Also, why would a certified teacher permanently surrender his state teaching certification? These are specific questions that deserves specific answers. PASSNTHRU is only trying to warn you. There is potential danger here and there is alot at stake.
Harold

Pikeville, TN

#4 Oct 26, 2009
I don't always agree with how Coach Swafford (Eric) runs his practices or calls plays in the game. My son has played for Eric the last 3 years. I go to nearly every practice, and every game. I've never seen him abuse his son in public. Zachary is a very well mannered kid. Some of the other kids could learn a lesson from him. That speaks to how Eric has raised his son.
If anything Eric is too soft on all the kids. Football is a sport that demands discipline to achieve excellence. This year Eric has tightened up on the kids a little and they have gotten better all year long. I wouldn't run my team the way he does, I wouldn't call the plays he does, and I wouldn't be as soft as he has been over the years, but coaching is open to criticism. When you coach children, you will never please all of the parents. You can only hope that the kids learn something about sportsmanship, discipline, and fundamentals of the game, as well as have fun. Eric has gotten better at providing these elements to his team over the past three years.
It's very difficult to coach children. Eric's political standing and family background have nothing to do with his coaching. When he's out there he shows enthusiasm for those kids and the game. He encourages them to improve. Sure he could do a better job in a bunch of different areas, but I'd probably say that about whoever was coaching my son.
As I said I have been there watching for three years. Eric is not the best coach, but nobody is when it comes to your own kid. He shows up to practice with high enthusiasm, and goes about teaching the game the way he thinks is best. He has never done anything to harm any of the children. Leave his family and politics out of it. Come to practice and the games and get your facts straight before you slander him in these forums. Try coaching some seven and eight year old kids without pissing some parents off. I'm sure Eric could be doing something else with his time other than spending it with a bunch of kids, whose parents can't seem to do anything but talk bad about him behind his back.
Maybe we'll get another coach. Maybe that coach will have a better team. Maybe the kids will learn more. Until then, people need to quit dragging Eric's family through the muck, because they have nothing to do with how he coaches that team. Every time I've had a problem with how he's coached my son, I've approached him about it and he's always treated me with respect and given his explanation, or tried to work on the problem. I suggest you speak to Eric if you have a problem with how he coaches his team. Instead of hiding namelessly and facelessly in these forums.
Mountaineer

Lexington Park, MD

#5 Oct 30, 2009
Who is coaching the team, Eric or his brother? Eric set himself up for criticism when he allowed his brother to roam the sidelines. People are not stupid. They know the history. He is fortunate the criticism is not more specific.
mike

Cookeville, TN

#6 Apr 28, 2011
i know eric a little and i cannot form an opinion one way or another. it just depends on the beholder i suppose.
mike

Cookeville, TN

#7 May 1, 2011
it takes a certain type of personality to be a coach a little bit of a general patton a little bit of a psychoghist but most important a person who cares. for the most part a lot of people who have coached youth in this county are caring execept for a few[ i wont mention their names] thats why we have a good strong program at bchs now.
Dunlap Dude

Lexington Park, MD

#8 Mar 8, 2012
What a mess!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bledsoe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bledsoe County Music Thread (Oct '13) Dec 10 City Man 6
Bledsoe Co. Food Bank needs your help (Aug '13) Dec 7 Republicans4Ever 41
the klan (May '11) Aug '14 Indifferent 3
Female Inmate Pregnant (Jan '14) Aug '14 Indifferent 4
is there nothing bout pikeville residents can say (Apr '09) Aug '14 Wow 6
Judge Candidate Justin Angel - EXPOSED (Dec '13) Aug '14 Wow 7
Kenneth Meyers Sentencing Date Is October 22 (Oct '08) Apr '14 Kristi vestal 2
More from around the web