Two charged with 'doctor shopping'

There are 14 comments on the Herald-Citizen story from Jun 10, 2011, titled Two charged with 'doctor shopping'. In it, Herald-Citizen reports that:

A Livingston woman and a Cumberland County man have been charged in separate cases with TennCare "doctor shopping." That charge is the allegation that they went to multiple doctors in a short period to obtain controlled substance medication and used TennCare to pay for it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Herald-Citizen.

Dont Do Drugs

Livingston, TN

#1 Jun 11, 2011

by Mary Jo Denton

1 day 2 hrs ago | 1743 views | 0 | 1 ||

UPPER CUMBERLAND -- A Livingston woman and a Cumberland County man have been charged in separate cases with TennCare "doctor shopping."

That charge is the allegation that they went to multiple doctors in a short period to obtain controlled substance medication and used TennCare to pay for it.

Donna M. Adams, 36, of Livingston, and Thomas R. Adcox, 52, of Lexington, Ky., were recently indicted by grand juries, one in Overton County and the other in Davidson County, according to the state's Office of Inspector General.

Adams is charged with two counts of doctor shopping.

She is accused of receiving multiple prescriptions in a 30-day period for the painkilling drug, Oxycodone, and Opana, also known as Oxymorphone, which is a drug similar to morphine and which is used to treat severe pain, according to Lola Potter of the OIG.

Adcox is charged with one count of doctor shopping for allegedly receiving prescriptions for the painkiller Hydrocodone from more than one doctor within 30 days, using TennCare as payment, according to the OIG.

Adcox was also arrested twice in April of this year on the same charge for allegedly going from doctor to doctor to get prescription drugs, Potter said.

"He was arrested in Cumberland County on an indictment charging him with six counts of doctor shopping and in Bledsoe County on two counts of doctor shopping," Potter said.

"In each incident, Adcox was looking for Hydrocodone prescriptions, which he paid for with TennCare."

The OIG investigated both cases, with assistance from the Overton County Sheriff's Department and the Metro Nashville Police Department.

TennCare fraud is a Class E felony that carries a penalty of up to two years in prison per charge.

The OIG, which is separate from TennCare, began in 2005 and has investigated cases leading to more than $3.5 million paid in restitution and recoupment to TennCare. To date, more than 1,400 people have been charged with TennCare fraud.
rosa mosa

Gainesboro, TN

#2 Jul 1, 2011
donna adams is nothing but trouble she was a ball coach for janney and associates and the whole season she sat on her lazy buttt and didnt do anything so watch out folks cause she has been to jail twice for doctor shopping lord only knows wat else she does i feel sorry for her family!!!!!!!
in the know

Gainesboro, TN

#3 Jul 1, 2011
no kiddin

Allons, TN

#4 Jul 1, 2011
please tell more about this adams person.
rosa mosa

Gainesboro, TN

#5 Jul 2, 2011
well theres alot actually all i know is that shes been in jail twice this summer and she couldnt even coach her last game with the janney and associate girls the woman is nothing but trouble she has three kids:colton,shay,and brady and the girl shay has done moved in with her dad and which i dont blame her at all i mean she just is nothing much to talk about except she lives with some man and his daughters name is taylor story but the whole season that ball was going on i heard that all she did was whine and complain about her kids or somethging just dont hang out with her and ooo she had two girls quit her team because she was excluding them from the team i mean everyone deserves to play!!!
in the know

Gainesboro, TN

#6 Jul 2, 2011
i heard all of that tooo

Murfreesboro, TN

#7 Jul 4, 2011
in the know wrote:
i heard all of that tooo
Your right, the same kids got excluded from playing and she didn`t coach even though she was the coach, she left it to everyone else! I know a lot of the parents were upset that she even showed up!
wake up

Allons, TN

#8 Jul 4, 2011
the woman has been charged with a felony and the worst thing you complain about is her softball coaching methods!!!
Be smart

Baxter, TN

#9 Jul 4, 2011
Why would someone even want to put her kids names on here. Don't you think about how they feel about this and that there embarrassed enough. They can't help what stupid things she does. Your wrong about softball coaching methods because if she is out there coaching our kids and she is under the influence of drugs it does matter to some of us.
sick and tired

Baxter, TN

#10 Jul 4, 2011
me and my brothers have enough problems,dont talk about us. and taylor has nothing 2 do with it.idk y u even talked about her. we r embarrassed enough dont make it worse....
sleepless in allons

Allons, TN

#11 Jul 9, 2011
is the adams woman still on road driving? we should be more concerned about problem citizens instead of being afraid of hurting someones feelings! where is is this person now?
sleepless in allons

Allons, TN

#12 Jul 17, 2011
in cookeville paper a few days ago donna adams arressted in putnam county for very same thing as before. her court date istues july 18 criminal court in cookeville.

Batesburg, SC

#13 Jul 17, 2011
I want to know these people get to KEEP their Tncare?!!! After their 1st offence they should be Cut off! And to my knowledge you're only allowed 5 prescriptions per month, it sounds like Donna Adams was getting way more than that! Keep the kids on it and jerk the sorry ass parents off of it once they've been caught!!!!!!!
sleepless in allons

Allons, TN

#14 Jul 17, 2011
may be the doctors are to blame also, they should held accountable, who checks their records? i guess the tncare snoops are only after little fish.. need to fish for big fish..just my thoughts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bledsoe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Baptist, or craptist? Oct '15 realmomma505 3
Bledsoe County Music Thread (Oct '13) Aug '15 Musikologist 8
One of your Commissioners sleeping around (Mar '15) Mar '15 BOBobson 1
News Bledsoe Co. Food Bank needs your help (Aug '13) Mar '15 Yup Yup 51
the klan (May '11) Aug '14 Indifferent 3
Female Inmate Pregnant (Jan '14) Aug '14 Indifferent 4
Poll is there nothing bout pikeville residents can say (Apr '09) Aug '14 Wow 6
More from around the web