Man Convicted in Fatal, Anti-Gay Base...

Man Convicted in Fatal, Anti-Gay Baseball Bat Beating of Iowa Teen

There are 32 comments on the Rod 2.0 story from Apr 21, 2012, titled Man Convicted in Fatal, Anti-Gay Baseball Bat Beating of Iowa Teen. In it, Rod 2.0 reports that:

An Iowa jury has returned a guilty verdict in connection with the brutal death of 19-year-old Marcellus Andrews, who was fatally beaten by a group of baseball bat-wielding thugs shouting gay slurs in Waterloo on August 19, 2011.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Rod 2.0.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#27 Apr 22, 2012
can't stand the Vanessa Williasm character and absolutely hate Michael Urie. HE is the kinda guy that gives gay people a bad name !

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#28 Apr 22, 2012
The thread may be hijacked, but there's not much you can say about the subject anyway that hasn't been said.

and speaking of movies, if you wanna see a REALLY good movie tat's been on a few times lately, see "The Bank Job". EXCELLENT movie.(supposedly mostly true too)

“Your religion is NOT in charge”

Since: Nov 11

Columbus

#29 Apr 22, 2012
That looks like one I could talk my wife into renting - she's in lust with Jason Stathem. Is there a lot of action? Statham has made quite a few decent martial arts flicks.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#30 Apr 22, 2012
Nytebreid wrote:
That looks like one I could talk my wife into renting - she's in lust with Jason Stathem. Is there a lot of action? Statham has made quite a few decent martial arts flicks.
I found it by accident a couple of months ago. It seem sto be shown on the IFC Network quite frequently. "The Bank Job" is supposedly a mostly true story. and stars Jason Statham. It's a GREAT movie with LOTS of characters, multiple plot lines, and GREAT ACTION (aka violence :) but not ULTRAVIOLENCE :().

i wound up buying a dvd of it today on ebay just cuz i like it so much.

i found it by accident on tv awhile ago. same way i found FARGO many years ago. LOL

Now FARGO is a SUPER-GREAT movie ! LOL

Been an unusal amount of GREAT movies on lately. only thing wrong with tat is when tat happens, they put 2 or more of them back-to-back, so you constantly have to flip back and forth.

“Your religion is NOT in charge”

Since: Nov 11

Columbus

#31 Apr 22, 2012
You're at least keeping me occupied tonight FaFoxy... I had to go look up Fargo after you mention it.

It looks interesting... listed as a comedy, but with a lot of killing going on - including an axe murder(!).

Between my video game addiction and a house full of kids, I don't watch movies like I used to. If I find time for TV, it's mostly cop-shop shows like Law and Order, CSI, or Criminal Minds (favorite).

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#32 Apr 22, 2012
Nytebreid wrote:
You're at least keeping me occupied tonight FaFoxy... I had to go look up Fargo after you mention it.
It looks interesting... listed as a comedy, but with a lot of killing going on - including an axe murder(!).
Between my video game addiction and a house full of kids, I don't watch movies like I used to. If I find time for TV, it's mostly cop-shop shows like Law and Order, CSI, or Criminal Minds (favorite).
Oh, FARGO is in a class by itself ! i found it by accidnet on tv although I had heard of it because it's such a famous movie. It'se described as a "black comedy". I think that's an accuate description. All I can really say bout it is that it is CERTAINLY one of the GREATEST movies ever made.

"SILVER STREAK" is also a comedy with a LOT of violent killings in it and also a great movie. It's bene on tv a lot also recently. Oddly enough, I also found taht movie by accident on tv in teh late 70's. And Jill Clayburgh stars in it and she is also one of my al time FAV actresses. Sadly, both she and Richard Pryor who co-starred in it died young.:(

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#33 Apr 22, 2012
Law & Order is STILL one of my FAV drama tv shows of all time and I STILL watch it.

My only complaint with the show is that too often they will use actors or actresses from one episode in a completely differnt role in another episode. they do that a LOT.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#34 Apr 22, 2012
Does a person have to actually BE gay for it to be a hate crime?

I think not.

You see, that's part of the essential character that distinguishes a hate crime .... it isn't just against the individual, but also against the group the victim represents in the minds of the perps.

“Your religion is NOT in charge”

Since: Nov 11

Columbus

#35 Apr 22, 2012
[sigh, back on topic]

I don't think they have to be gay, I believe it's about perception - let's say a man is walking with his adult, mentally handicapped son... and he's holding the man's hand for safety. A bunch of guys see it and THINK the two are gay, and assault them, calling them derogatory names. Like Snyper said, it would legally quallify as a hate crime because the offenders believed they were assaulting gay men.

[By the way, it was interesting talking to you FaFoxy, we should high jack threads more often.]

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#36 Apr 22, 2012
Nytebreid wrote:
[sigh, back on topic]
I don't think they have to be gay, I believe it's about perception - let's say a man is walking with his adult, mentally handicapped son... and he's holding the man's hand for safety. A bunch of guys see it and THINK the two are gay, and assault them, calling them derogatory names. Like Snyper said, it would legally quallify as a hate crime because the offenders believed they were assaulting gay men.
[By the way, it was interesting talking to you FaFoxy, we should high jack threads more often.]
I remember a true story, about an "anti-gay" hate crime in Manhattan some years ago. A man was walking on a street in the West Village. He was holding hands with a very feminine looking person. Suddenly, a car stopped, some guys jumped out yelling the usual anti-gay epithets (sp ?) and attacked them and beat them. The man and his feminine looking partner wound up in a hospital. The attackers were arrested.

The man and his feminine looking partner were tourists. They said they never realized that gay people face such intense hostility every day.

Oh yes, and the man's feminine looking partener ? That was his wife who is, and was, born female. Somehow the attackers simply assumed she was a feminine looking gay man since the couple were in the West Village.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#37 Apr 22, 2012
Nytebreid wrote:
[sigh, back on topic]
I don't think they have to be gay, I believe it's about perception - let's say a man is walking with his adult, mentally handicapped son... and he's holding the man's hand for safety. A bunch of guys see it and THINK the two are gay, and assault them, calling them derogatory names. Like Snyper said, it would legally quallify as a hate crime because the offenders believed they were assaulting gay men.
[By the way, it was interesting talking to you FaFoxy, we should high jack threads more often.]
That last sentence...NO! He does that just fine W/O your help!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#39 Apr 22, 2012
FaFoxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember a true story, about an "anti-gay" hate crime in Manhattan some years ago. A man was walking on a street in the West Village. He was holding hands with a very feminine looking person. Suddenly, a car stopped, some guys jumped out yelling the usual anti-gay epithets (sp ?) and attacked them and beat them. The man and his feminine looking partner wound up in a hospital. The attackers were arrested.
The man and his feminine looking partner were tourists. They said they never realized that gay people face such intense hostility every day.
Oh yes, and the man's feminine looking partener ? That was his wife who is, and was, born female. Somehow the attackers simply assumed she was a feminine looking gay man since the couple were in the West Village.
I have a vague recollection of that story. I'd really like to find that original report. It belongs in every Gay History text and exhibit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Black Hawk County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
getting help from social services (Mar '15) Mar '15 loverivers 1
News Plane Out Of Longmont Lands On Iowa Road In Eme... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Jon Beacham 1
News Inmate Serving Life Sentence for Murder Dies in... (Sep '12) Jan '13 Drcrypto 4
News Hunters find bodies believed to be Iowa cousins (Dec '12) Dec '12 wondering about 1
News Paddle Boater Wanted for Questioning in Missing... (Jul '12) Nov '12 Ray 2
News Lake, landfill searched for missing Iowa cousins (Jul '12) Jul '12 Whatever 12
News GOP Trio To Appear At Iowa Dinner (Aug '11) Aug '11 conservative crapola 41
More from around the web