Schools Shying Away From Bible Classes

Full story: WXIA Atlanta

A growing number of Georgia public school systems are shying away from developing state approved Bible classes.
Comments
1 - 20 of 135 Comments Last updated May 28, 2012
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Since: Aug 07

Stone Mountain, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

School systems across the nation (especially in the south) are in serious trouble, kids are failing or graduating barely being able to read. We as a nation are falling behind in math and science to the rest of the world. Yet politicians seem to think bringing religion in the class is going to fix all of that. Guess what? It won't! I am not slamming anyone's beliefs; a belief system of any kind can have great benefits in the home. Georgia has a serious education problem, yet our politicians play on your emotions rather than real solutions. Additionally, if we bring one religion into the class, that opens the door for all religions. Where would we draw the line? What if Satan worshipers demanded their "fair time" in the classroom? If you want religion in the classroom then enroll your kids in a private school.
JMO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

GSXR1000Guy wrote:
School systems across the nation (especially in the south) are in serious trouble, kids are failing or graduating barely being able to read. We as a nation are falling behind in math and science to the rest of the world. Yet politicians seem to think bringing religion in the class is going to fix all of that. Guess what? It won't! I am not slamming anyone's beliefs; a belief system of any kind can have great benefits in the home. Georgia has a serious education problem, yet our politicians play on your emotions rather than real solutions. Additionally, if we bring one religion into the class, that opens the door for all religions. Where would we draw the line? What if Satan worshipers demanded their "fair time" in the classroom? If you want religion in the classroom then enroll your kids in a private school.
Excellent post - speaking as a Christian, I could not agree more!

Since: Dec 07

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

and yet we wonder why there is more violence in our world everyday.
Good Grief

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

a teacher wrote:
and yet we wonder why there is more violence in our world everyday.
And your point would be?
Trucker

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

GSXR1000Guy wrote:
Thank God He has made a way for my grandchildren to go to a Christian private school "for free" that in its self tells me that God is in control.
Stupid is No Excuse

Cumming, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

We are falling behind in Math and Science because parents are not making sure the kids keep with their assignments. On the school side, the students are not held responsible for a high standard. Somehow we feel we will be better off if we reduce the standards so students can reach the lower standard and we can say they have met standards. Wake up!
scott

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

grudgingly i agree with gsx. You are right parents should not abdicate to schools the teachings about christ. Also it is bad for anyone who isn't in close contact with the Spirit of God to teach the Word of God. Remember the word kills but it is the spirit that gives life. I do think a person should be able to pray in school to God and even to the idol gods if your so foolish. But teaching of the Word should be left to those who have qualified themselves by spending time with God.
Conservative Agnostic

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

Government schools are not effective learning evironments for children. Praying to one's own god in a government school is protected free speech. Instead of govermnent schools, parents should have school vouchers so that they can choose which private school to send their children. However, I would not send my kids to a Christian school. I went to one and the science courses where a total joke.
John 3-16

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

2 Timothy 3: 10 You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, 11 persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. 12 In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
JCD

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

John 3-16 wrote:
2 Timothy 3: 10 You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, 11 persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. 12 In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
There is no scientific evidence that the universe was created in 6 days while god rested on the 7th day. Prove me wrong, please. Also, how does the Christian god view isolated tribes that have no knowledge of the existence of the Bible. Do they still go to hell? If that is true, your god is cruel and not loving.
Acworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

H*ll on earth began when prayer was taken out of schools. and the person responsible for taking it out guess what happened to her she was killed.
Prayer is strong.
JCD

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

karma wrote:
H*ll on earth began when prayer was taken out of schools. and the person responsible for taking it out guess what happened to her she was killed.
Prayer is strong.
Hell on earth existed before, during, and after prayer was taken out of schools.
Deborah

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

Precept Ministries based in Chattanooga, TN is an excellent resource for teaching anyone how to study the Bible for themselves. They also have leadership training so one can learn to teach others how to study as well. It does not try to interpret the Bible, but instead observes the text paying attention to what it says, the context in which it is said along with identifying the who, when, where, how and why of a chapter, thereby understanding the theme. They also pull in the cross references of scripture found elsewhere in the Bible, that allows the Bible to interpret itself. It's an excellent ministry. I've taken many of their classes and recommend them without reservation.
beverly

Cornelia, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

Well I guess we all knoew that this topic would bring alot of different comments. My only comment is that we teach allt his history stuff, but the reality id that the founding fathers did establish this countyr on Biblocal principals and yet we do not teach the very things that the country was founded on. I guess we will all never be satisfied. I do agree with one person above that says it is hard to teach the Bible without teaching it's teaching and those seem to be what offends people today. Doing right and being right seem to offend folks. I thought the class was to be an elected not required so why would anyone care if it is sonething that isnot required. If you do not want to go to that cless then you do not have to. That is the way ir was when I went to a Christain college. LEt the class be avaialble but let it be an elective. We do not mind htat the frig dealers teach our kids how to be addcited to drugs by the time they are teenager, but heaven forbid we should teach them something else. Well thank GOd we live in America where we staill ahve some choices.
Acworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

JCD wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell on earth existed before, during, and after prayer was taken out of schools.
I do agree with you but it seems that the times now have gotton worst. or maybe it comes with the population.

Since: Aug 07

Stone Mountain, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

karma wrote:
Prayer is strong.
We started down this path long before prayer was taken out of school. What I don't understand is this...If so many people are allegedly teaching their kids the values that Christianity and prayer instill, why are they going to school acting like they have absolutely noooo home-training? If you are not teaching your children the values that you believe in, then how in the world can you expect any teacher or school administrator to do it for you?
Maxx321

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

JCD wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no scientific evidence that the universe was created in 6 days while god rested on the 7th day. Prove me wrong, please. Also, how does the Christian god view isolated tribes that have no knowledge of the existence of the Bible. Do they still go to hell? If that is true, your god is cruel and not loving.
Hebrews 11:1
You have to believe and let God work on you through the Holy Spirit, there will be questions that we do not have answers to, it does not invalidate the ones we do have answers for.
The American Bible Society only lacks a few languages left on the planet that have not been translated into the Native languages....I pray for all who do not know the love of Christ..........
Maxx321

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

GSXR1000Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
We started down this path long before prayer was taken out of school. What I don't understand is this...If so many people are allegedly teaching their kids the values that Christianity and prayer instill, why are they going to school acting like they have absolutely noooo home-training? If you are not teaching your children the values that you believe in, then how in the world can you expect any teacher or school administrator to do it for you?
AMEN!Having worked in the schools, I couldn't agree more, this is a 'home-training' issue, nothing more, nothing less. It is up to the PARENTS to train their children, NOT the schools.
The kids rule the roost now and parents want to be their friend not their authority figure, won't work, look around, adults are losing ground daily.
Read today about two teen girls who KILLED their adoptive mother because she objected to their choice of company at the pool?!?!? Girls capable of murder........Satan's children.....
Renee

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

karma wrote:
Prayer is strong.
Amen!!
Renee

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

JCD wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't agree. It's MUCH worse now than before.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bibb County Discussions

Search the Bibb County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Man arrested for hitting alleged bike thief wit... May '14 Hugh Blaxton 3
home repair Apr '14 exterior siding and frami 2
Late Bibb educator to be honored at Fire Preven... Mar '14 OPP 1
Sam Hart: I'm A Better Listener (Sep '13) Nov '13 Pete 2
Four arrested in Atlanta with rifle stolen from... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Mr Majestyck 2
Dallemand seeking school superintendency in Shr... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Jackson 1
Injunction Filed to Stop Forest Hill Rd. Project (Jun '13) Jun '13 Earl 1
•••
•••