Man Claims To ID Jack The Ripper

Full story: WFMZ

A local man said he has solved the infamous case of Jack the Ripper. Back in the fall of 1888, five prostitutes were killed in east London and a man calling himself Jack the Ripper wrote several letters to the London police saying he was responsible.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
ouiga

Green Lane, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2010

good job! What has the British Govt claimed on this new evidence?
Paul Tully

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2010

This is a very interesting theory put forward by mark Pott. http://jack-the-ripper-1888.blogspot.com/
J Doe

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2010

This is complete an utter nonsense.
inoall

Ottsville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2010

it wasn't him its ben rothlisberger
Mark C Potts

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2010

ouiga wrote:
good job! What has the British Govt claimed on this new evidence?
-
Hi, I had tried to get the gov't and Police interested with no luck. Sadly no Criminology professors ever got back to me either. So I was pretty much on my own except for the Whitechapel Society and the Sherlock Holmes Society of London. The folks in Gilmanton, NH and those of the Bentley Library were quite helpful too. So the people I thanked were the ones that actually helped. Thanks for the kind words.
mary_jane

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2010

Is this a ploy to make money, or is this possibly true?
Bonnie

Bath, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2010

First of all, congratulations on an amazing piece of research. I read the entire linked article, and it's obvious that you are correct. I had heard of the letters that the Ripper had written, but to see them was chilling. It appears one was written in blood - yikes.
Have you thought about joining the Vidocq Society? I'm sure they would appreciate someone with your skills.
Best of luck to you.
Mark C Potts

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2010

mary_jane wrote:
Is this a ploy to make money, or is this possibly true?
I hadn't gotten a dime. Not really worried about it because I have other projects and I work two jobs. If I was wrong, I figured I gave it a good shot.
Sadly the actual article had just a few of the pictures I had used. I ended up with at least 60 matches of handwriting. I failed to mention here though, but it is in the article, that I was invited to post my research with the National Archives of the UK, which I did. Nobody ever tried to stop me. I also made contact with Scotland Yard and got a nice "thankyou, but we don't handle old crimes like that". I really tried to get everyone, including London's Mayor, involved and I still have the E-Mails to show for it. I wanted everything to be "above-board" with no secrets or truly goofy ideas. I had first posted it on Facebook and received some excellent suggestions which I used then.
I looked at this as if I was a prosecutor and I wanted to nail the bad guy with every shred of evidence possible, I had worked closely with Police for years so I know you want an ironclad case. I also looked at it from the defendant's standpoint so as to not miss anything, how would a defense attorney work here? Fortunately there were excellent resources to go back to the Coroners report and also the witness statements. The Mudgett/Holmes writings came from different sources, which can be checked along with the "Ripper" writings.
Ironically Mudgett/Holmes wasn't my first choice for the "Ripper", I actually thought it was another doctor, not one of the known suspects though. But when you have a known serial killer in the same time period with no alibi during the time, using the same weapons, matching the profile and physical description, same MD training, and the exact same handwriting, it makes one take notice. So please read the other related articles that I mention, and be careful of con artists and smoothies like this guy, history keeps repeating itself, monstrous people preying on the innocent. Fortunately this Monster was imprisoned, hanged, and buried nearby in Philadelphia so he could hurt nobody else.
dont make me laugh

Altona, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2010

What complete and utter drivel.... this looks like research conducted for a sixth grade school project!
You found different writing in different letters so it must be the same writer... every single letter was different so that's proof that the same man wrote each of them... that's just silly.
And there's a lot of much better resources for you to check out than the "awesome" Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper... goodness me... people with infinitely greater investigative skills than yours have been researching and writing about this case for decades. Go and check a couple of them out. This won't be the first time that H H Holmes has been proposed - and dismissed - as a Ripper suspect.
Oh and if you want to find the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes try doing a little hunt around for the name Dr Joseph Bell...
Mark C Potts

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2010

This adventure is growing. I received info from the Univ. of Michigan giving me a list of fellow students of Mudgett's. As it turns out, I've found the links to the Austin, TX murders of '84-'85, the London murders of '88, and the NYC murder of '91. Mudgett would often visit college mates. The names he used were also that of either students or faculty at College. I had also found 3 more probable murders related to his college days. So much evidence, this on top of the 60-plus matching pieces of handwriting to the Ripper letters. More will be forthcoming. It's also in the hands of qualified historians from the different areas of the World.
The Truth

Midlothian, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2010

It is already known who JTR was. James Kelly. www.casebook.org Read about Kelly and know the truth yourself. James Kelly JAmEs Kelly JA E K JAEK JACK
Jimbo

Blandon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2010

I saw a show that pin pointed James Kelly as well. Made sense but who knows.
Gaslight

Marblehead, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2010

The only authentic letter from the Whitechapel killer - known as the "From Hell" letter - was not signed "Jack the Ripper" and did not include the word "Philadelphia." All of the other letters (hundreds) were hoaxes.

This H H Holmes theory is some amateur's fantasy.
ms murder

Belleville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2010

has no one else noticed the resemblance between james kelly and h. h. holmes particularly in their identical hats and of course holmes early u of m photo and kellys younger photo- the recent show about james kelly and the h. h. holmes movie i just watched Holmes disappeared when his castle was being built just in time for the ripper murders just as kelly disappeared from london after the murders-the parallels are remarkable one could easily be the other...the person who went back to broadmoor could have been someone else entirely....holmes could have disguised himself as kelly....i think it needs to be looked at better as holmes tried to say on the scaffold- i am jack...

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2011

Gaslight wrote:
The only authentic letter from the Whitechapel killer - known as the "From Hell" letter - was not signed "Jack the Ripper"
It was signed MisherLusk in a way that made it look like Maybrick.
http://bessel.org/ripper.htm

www.yoliverpool.com/forum/archive/​...

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2011

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Berks County Discussions

Search the Berks County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Reduce Reuse Recycle! Apr 3 Anonymous 1
TV's Mike Rowe and Berks County Home Builders A... Apr 3 Anonymous 1
2 charged in alleged assault of teen in Pa. hotel Mar '14 Richard Kranium 2
Taylor Swift and Pink are hot nominees for Gram... Jan '14 Pink 1
Reading lawyer arrested on charges of stealing ... (May '13) Jan '14 kevin chase 3
Kutztown woman's friends save her from cold, da... Dec '13 you dumb beetch 1
Wanted in Berks Dec '13 Sara 1
•••
•••
•••
•••