New Trial Granted for Man Convicted of Killing Deputy

Full story: WLTX Columbia

A man convicted of murder for killing an off-duty law officer who was shooting cats on the man's property should get a new trial.
Comments
1 - 20 of 54 Comments Last updated Feb 14, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mister Charlie

West Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

Judged:

Why do they keep referencing that this is a Deputy or an Off Duty Deputy?

This unfortunate incident had absolutely nothing to do with him being a Deputy.

He wasn't working a case, he wasn't in uniform. He wasn't on the job. He wasn't even within his jurisdiction.

At the time of of the incident he was just a normal citizen, just like you and I, which I believe was breaking the law by trespassing (I stand corrected and apoligize) if this isn't exactly true.

They are running this Deputy thing in the ground.

I am sorry for the loss but it would be better received if the headlines read otherwise. A son, a husband or a father was killed seems more appropriate.

“If you can't be a good example”

Since: Mar 07

be a warning

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

Seems like a justified killing to me. A man is on your property and firing a gun. Self-defense. Protecting waht is yours. Obviously you can't depend on LEOs to protect you since the gun firing trespasser was one. Where's the 'Cops Gone Wild' thread?
LHS

West Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

Mister Charlie wrote:
Why do they keep referencing that this is a Deputy or an Off Duty Deputy?
This unfortunate incident had absolutely nothing to do with him being a Deputy.
He wasn't working a case, he wasn't in uniform. He wasn't on the job. He wasn't even within his jurisdiction.
At the time of of the incident he was just a normal citizen, just like you and I, which I believe was breaking the law by trespassing (I stand corrected and apoligize) if this isn't exactly true.
They are running this Deputy thing in the ground.
I am sorry for the loss but it would be better received if the headlines read otherwise. A son, a husband or a father was killed seems more appropriate.
I AGREE, IF HE WASN'T IN UNIFORM, WHY WAS HE ON THE PREMISES? IS THIS NORMAL. IS THE LAW TELLING US THAT IT'S OKAY TO GO ON SOMEONE ELSE'S PROVERTY AND KILL ANIMALS AT RANDOM? WHAT AM I MISSING HERE?

“Country Girl”

Since: May 07

The real Boonedocks

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

Why can't a man protect his animals and his property ? The vistor (deputy) was trespassing . There has to be more to this story . Didn't the trespasser have a gun too ? If someone came on my property and wanted to shoot my dog , I would shoot too . This happened in a rural area . So what goes here people ?
citizen

Florence, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

Too bad he didn't kill the guy before he was able to shoot some cats. The cats deserve to live in peace.

BWG

“Cogito ergo sum”

Irmo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

Judged:

Honest One wrote:
Why can't a man protect his animals and his property ? The vistor (deputy) was trespassing . There has to be more to this story . Didn't the trespasser have a gun too ? If someone came on my property and wanted to shoot my dog , I would shoot too . This happened in a rural area . So what goes here people ?
Hold on there cowboy. There has got to be more to the story. Had the gentleman called the police and made a legal issue of the matter. He might not be in jail.

Used to have a place out in the country, near Pelion. Those boys out there fly the stars and bars and will wave a shotgun in a minute. I had a neighbor break onto my propery firing a shotgun into the air, over some Mexicans and some pinestraw (Long story). I called the the cops and filed a complaint. When the neighbor asked why, I explained that I considered him a danger to public safety and that if he came back onto the property again, I might have to protect myself, and wanted the incident documented to that effect. He got the message.
Shooting someone over a cat or dog can easily result in a manslaughter or murder charge. We have a right to defend ourselves, our home and property but it's got to be done within the law. Even then, we had better have a good lawyer, just in case.
student

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

Judged:

BWG wrote:
<quoted text>
Hold on there cowboy. There has got to be more to the story. Had the gentleman called the police and made a legal issue of the matter. He might not be in jail.
Used to have a place out in the country, near Pelion. Those boys out there fly the stars and bars and will wave a shotgun in a minute. I had a neighbor break onto my propery firing a shotgun into the air, over some Mexicans and some pinestraw (Long story). I called the the cops and filed a complaint. When the neighbor asked why, I explained that I considered him a danger to public safety and that if he came back onto the property again, I might have to protect myself, and wanted the incident documented to that effect. He got the message.
Shooting someone over a cat or dog can easily result in a manslaughter or murder charge. We have a right to defend ourselves, our home and property but it's got to be done within the law. Even then, we had better have a good lawyer, just in case.
I think you're full of --it

“Country Girl”

The real Boonedocks

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2007

BWG wrote:
<quoted text>
He had already called deputies that day and they hadn't got there yet ! He had called them concerning this trespasser on prior occassions . He was right in his shooting a trespasser who had been told before to stay away.

BWG

“Cogito ergo sum”

Irmo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2007

Judged:

So far the only right he has been so far is "right" into a jail. He only got a new trial because the court says the jury was not properly told how to interpret the law. Otherwise he'd be gone behind the walls.
My point is that shooting someone over a cat or dog can easily result in a manslaughter or murder charge. We have a right to defend ourselves, our home and property but it's got to be done within the law. Even then, we had better have a good lawyer, just in case.

BWG

“Cogito ergo sum”

Irmo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2007

Judged:

There is always more to the story:

"One of the men told investigators Rye shot a defenseless Odam, who was kneeling and putting his gun on the ground when confronted by Rye. Odam was shot once in the neck and three times in the back; his rifle was found 6 feet from his body."

http://www.topix.com/content/kri/2007/09/man-...

BWG

“Cogito ergo sum”

Irmo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

Judged:

student wrote:
<quoted text>I think you're full of --it
I doubt you're thinking this through. Defending ones property is one thing, man slaughter or murder charges are another. Thomas Grover Rye is no doubt going to spend the rest of his life behind bars because he went way beyond what a judge and jury saw as a reasonable right to defend his property. He shot this guy four times and there are people who say he literally executed this 23 year old man.
wouldntyouliketo know

Loganville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

Judged:

I think before any of you make comments you should get the entire story. He was told the property was vacant and no one owned it. He never actually shot any cats, the guys with him did. He was surrendering his gun when he was shot in the back bending over to put the gun down, then he was shot three more times in the back after he had surrendered his weapon saying," Don't shoot, it is okay for me to be here." His gun was found six feet away from him, on safety. The police has already been called and if you got to listen to the 911 tape like the rest of us, you would have heard that rye was suppose to be waiting at the road for the police because the property that he said he lived at was so over grown that you couldn't see the driveway. You also couldn't see the rfence or the roof of the house from and areal view because it was so over grown. Hasty judgement got him in this position,get the facts before you sound off. He had never even been to the property it was his brother-in-law. Rye's witnesses purged themsleves on the stand and Rye couldn't even get his story straight. He is a sociopath that needed to be locked up long begofe this even happened. And this young man could of been able to live out this wonderful life he had started. NO ONE DESERVES TO DIE! Put your selves in the families shoes before you spout off. If you attend the trial and get all the facts then make your comments, until then you just look like evil humans attempting to hurt this family even more with your remarks.
IDONTBELIEVE

Bluffton, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2008

Judged:

This guy was railroaded. The only witness to the shooting was the deceased's cousin who can't be considered unbiased at trial. The cops would skew the facts (alter/hide evidence) because the deceased was a fellow officer...Odam was a cop and a veteran and it was part of his training that you NEVER surrender your weapon and the way to control a threat is to take aggressive action...I don't believe for one second this guy got a fair trial the first time around.
john

High Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2009

Judged:

anyone who thinks shooting a man over cats is not right in the head. Physical evidence has the deceased's gun on safe, he was shot twice in the back, once in the arm and once in the neck. Eyewitness testomony referenced the man had his left hand in the air in a surrendering position, his right hand on the gun handle trying to lay it down which cooberates the physical evidence. Further, Thomas Rye had made statements to police that he was going to shoot somebody over this and was specifically told not to shoot somebody over cats. He also did not wait at the road for police but rather went looking for a fight. The property was not his normal place of habitation but instead an overgrown dump that he just happened to own and became incensed over people tresspassing on his property. His defense of "Habitation and Castle Doctrine" does not work in this case. What he did was get mad that people were shooting feral cats on his property and he went looking for a fight. He found it and murdered a man over it. No matter which way you slice it he killed the man as if he ordered him to his knees and executed him. What a shameful and sinister act.
john

High Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2009

Judged:

rwwllms wrote:
Seems like a justified killing to me. A man is on your property and firing a gun. Self-defense. Protecting waht is yours. Obviously you can't depend on LEOs to protect you since the gun firing trespasser was one. Where's the 'Cops Gone Wild' thread?
You are not very smart at all!!!!
Grover Rye

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Judged:

(Owner acquitted and cleared in mans death) see State news paper
Grover Rye

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2009

Judged:

Six police reports were filed on these people in five months ,see reports #0403238022 ,040227722 ,0407227822 ,04077237423 ,048142713 and 0311326830 each time the Richland County Sheriffs Dept. was told that the problem was coming from the 1324 Vanboklen rd. rental house. Nothing was done on any of these reports.On 8/14/04 Odam ,James OConnell and Mason Mitchell had commited three felony offence before the shooting,after Rye call 911 it was one hour before the police arrived. Thank You And God Bless America Grover Rye
Linda

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Judged:

The "officer" was a private citizen on property he did not own because "someone" had told him it was OK for him to be there. Apparently they also told him it was OK to shoot cats. He KNEW he was on property he personally did not own, nor did the person he was with, and he had to have known there is a more humane way of catching feral cats. Vandalism on any property is still vandalism; assuming the property is abandoned does not give one the right to destroy it or to even be on it. He had no business being there ~ he was up to mischief. Being an officer of the law requires more of him to obey and uphold the law. Having an overgrown property does not give someone else the right to come on the property with weapons, which could be very intimidating and frightening for personal safety. The Rye family was dealing with someone who felt the law did not apply to them and now both families must suffer for their arrogant stupidity. There are no winners here.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Judged:

Mr. Grover seems like a good-hearted, decent man who was left hanging by the local police department. That police department might want to consider psychological testing be done on potential employees, b/c someone like Odom should never have been given a gun and a position of authority. Mr. Rye should receive compensation for the time he spent in jail. The guy w/Odom (who was also shooting cats)lied during the trial and should be prosecuted for perjury.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Judged:

Sorry-I'm not sure why my previous message ended up posting twice.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Beaufort County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aviation suppliers key to job growth for Beaufo... 19 hr mr-ed 1
Runway extension is hurting, not helping (Jan '14) Jan '14 out of towner 1
Beaufort County school board hires new H.E. McC... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Democracy 1
F-35s good investment for country, community (Jun '13) Jun '13 Jake 1
Authorities searching for missing swimmer in Wi... (May '13) May '13 Sunrise2864 1
'Idol' finalist Glover emotional during downtow... (May '13) May '13 DrRuthe 1
Sex offender from St. Helena failed to register... (Apr '13) Apr '13 CONFUSED 1

Search the Beaufort County Forum:
•••