Judge says criminal justice system failing two-thirds

May 9, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Rice Lake Online

Eileen Nimm Chronotype staff Barron County Judge James Babler says the county needs a new way of operating the criminal justice system because the existing one is not working.

Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Aug 20, 2012
Sunny LA

Los Angeles, CA

#1 May 14, 2012
[quote]
"The best place to learn how to be a criminal is in the office of Probation and Parole," said Babler. He said a lot of first-time offenders are put on probation and they sit in the office across from high-risk offenders, who know how to commit crimes and share that information with "bravado."
"Boot Camp makes better criminals," Babler said. "The DARE Program doesn't work."
[/quote]

Interesting article. If people only get probation when committing serious crimes, no wonder they are laughing down at the probation office. Wonder who is to blame Judge Babler? Ever look in the mirror? DOC policy automatically make a person high risk if they had an assault during the last five years despite a study commissioned by them stating assault is not a good predictor of future behavior. So DOC is at fault too.

Any comments from the locals?
Concerned Citizen

Rice Lake, WI

#2 May 29, 2012
The article is disconcerning to say the least. Our judges are soft on crime here.
carrie

Chicago, IL

#3 Jun 19, 2012
Some Barron County judges are blaming the victims. No wonder probationers are laughing down at the probation office. According to one judge people can expect to be victimized implying the victims are at fault.
citizen kane

France

#4 Aug 20, 2012
I see they finally created the position. Got a $8,000 grant for COMPASS training. A $10,000 grant for software and 2 new laptops too. Sheriff Fitzgerald needs to stop trying to save the kids by preventing them from purchasing alcohol. He has is head in the sand while real crime goes on.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barron County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barron Judge Timothy Doyle Blames Victims For V... (Jun '12) Sep '13 Henry 7
Wis. cop charged in crime spree submits resigna... (Aug '13) Sep '13 sue 2
Complaint: Fugitive Wisconsin cop was suicidal (Aug '13) Aug '13 john 1
Kevin Scott McFarland Convicted Serial burglar (May '13) Aug '13 fireman 11
Barron DA Angela L Beranek Conflict of Interest (Nov '10) Apr '13 Ben Dover 8
Man tazed three times after burglary in Barron ... (Nov '12) Nov '12 In fear for life 1
Government (Oct '12) Oct '12 scubasteve 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Barron County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••