Troopers questioning juvenile suspect in fatal hit-and-run accident in Baldwin County

There are 3 comments on the Alabama Live story from Oct 15, 2012, titled Troopers questioning juvenile suspect in fatal hit-and-run accident in Baldwin County. In it, Alabama Live reports that:

Alabama State Troopers are questioning a teenager who may be responsible for the death of a bicyclist in south Baldwin County last night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alabama Live.

Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#1 Oct 15, 2012
I'm getting tired of hearing about bicyclist's getting hit by cars. They are always trying to prove a point and that is that they have as much right to the roads as automobiles. I go to Fairhope and they have spent millions of dollars making a paved walking/bicycling path for the entire length of the "scenic by-way" and yet most bikers are on the road and not on the path. Why should communities go out of their way to make walking and bike paths if these bikers choose to ride in the road and then when they get hit by a car it is always the car driver's fault? Yes, this was a young driver who may have panicked and was afraid to stop and help the victim. I don't know and that is not the point I am making. Cyclists have got to start recognizing that it is dangerous to be riding on roads that were constructed for automobiles and that they are the ones who have to take precautions while on them and not on designated bike paths.
Fairhope Voter

Mobile, AL

#2 Oct 15, 2012
Give Me a Break wrote:
I'm getting tired of hearing about bicyclist's getting hit by cars. They are always trying to prove a point and that is that they have as much right to the roads as automobiles. I go to Fairhope and they have spent millions of dollars making a paved walking/bicycling path for the entire length of the "scenic by-way" and yet most bikers are on the road and not on the path.
When I first heard this story I thought that it probably happened in Fairhope. I drive that area myself and see riders on the road all the time even though nobody is on the path. I also ride a bike and wouldn't take the chance of riding on the road when the path is the safest place to ride. That stretch of road is driven buy a lot of tourist that are busy looking at houses and the bay. A bike is no match to a ton or more of steel.
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#3 Oct 15, 2012
Fairhope Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
When I first heard this story I thought that it probably happened in Fairhope. I drive that area myself and see riders on the road all the time even though nobody is on the path. I also ride a bike and wouldn't take the chance of riding on the road when the path is the safest place to ride. That stretch of road is driven buy a lot of tourist that are busy looking at houses and the bay. A bike is no match to a ton or more of steel.
And especially because it is only a 2-lane road and many times I have to almost come to a complete stop when coming up on a biker because there is a car coming in the opposite lane so that I can't even move over to give the biker a safe distance from me when I pass him. My wife got so frustrated once that she opened her window and yelled at the biker to use the path. These bikers are just asking for trouble and the car driver will get the blame and have the guilt for injuring a biker for the rest of their life. Fairhope needs to pass a law or code that forbids bikers from riding on Scenic 98. Other municipalities have done this so I know that it can be done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baldwin County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thomas Hospital seeking donations for new birth... Mar '15 Cathy 1
News Classes in closets: Why Gulf Shores Elementary ... Mar '15 User Name 1
News Gulf Shores couple makes history as first same-... Feb '15 SocialCleanser 3
Hydropoinc farming in Baldwin County yields fre... Jan '15 James Gordo 1
News Foley man indicted on criminal sex abuse charge... Jan '15 mossy seaman 3
News The strange case of missing Brittney Wood (Jun '12) Jan '15 Just TLC 8
News Foley swinging for fences with $4 million expan... Jan '15 mossy seaman 4
More from around the web