Salvation Army's Foley-based Angel Tr...

Salvation Army's Foley-based Angel Tree program short on donors

There are 2 comments on the The Mobile Register Online story from Dec 9, 2009, titled Salvation Army's Foley-based Angel Tree program short on donors. In it, The Mobile Register Online reports that:

With only days to go in its Angel Tree program, the Salvation Army is looking for volunteers to come forward and brighten Christmas for about half of the unprecedented number of needy children in south Baldwin County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Mobile Register Online.

Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#1 Dec 9, 2009
I can't believe this story. I have taken at least a $1000 worth of goods to the local Salvation Army during this year alone. Yes, I could have cluttered my front yard with those items and spent weeks preparing little tags to put on them designating the asking price and then taking a lot less and wasting a whole day sitting out on my front lawn while a bunch of low-lifes descend on me to virtually steal my goods. I'd rather, and do, just take it up to the Salvation Army and let them sell it in one of their stores. Well, I know that they don't get $1000 for my items that are worth $1000 but, everytime I take a car-full of items there, other cars are also dropping off lots of goods that I am sure are worth money. Now, this process goes on day after day all year long and somehow it is not enough to fund the Angel Tree Program. Something is wrong here. GIVE ME A BREAK. Who is raking in all of the money from the Salvation Army so that they have to plead for more and more? Someone needs to check into the compensation of the top executives of the Salvation Army to make sure that they are not buying themselves condos in Aruba with all of this free donor money that I and many others are constantly handing to them.

Fairhope, AL

#2 Dec 10, 2009
I had an aunt who worked for a national charity ( as a volunteer in their office) until she found out how much of the money they collected actually went to the charitable purpose of the organization and how much went to paying for salaries and so forth. If I am correct I believe that on 60% of an organizations income has to go to the charitible purpose to be able to declared a charity by the government. If someone has other facts plese let me know.
Sad thing is I know for a fact that people abuse the Angel Tree program. I know of one person personally who uses it every year and does not need it. It is sad because I know there are families, or rather children, who would do without a nice Christmas if not for such programs. Heck, anyone could put their name on the tree because there is not a system to check who really needs the program.
Beyond everything, I wish people would remember Chritmas is about the children and Christ more than what and how much they get.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baldwin County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police dog dead after being left in hot car Jun '15 36542 1
News Judge: "No one understands the difficulties the... Jun '15 waaa 1
News Thomas Hospital seeking donations for new birth... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Cathy 1
News Classes in closets: Why Gulf Shores Elementary ... (Mar '15) Mar '15 User Name 1
News Gulf Shores couple makes history as first same-... (Feb '15) Feb '15 SocialCleanser 3
Hydropoinc farming in Baldwin County yields fre... (Jan '15) Jan '15 James Gordo 1
News Foley man indicted on criminal sex abuse charge... (Jan '15) Jan '15 mossy seaman 3
More from around the web