Harmon-Wright Defense Asks for Mistrial

Harmon-Wright Defense Asks for Mistrial

There are 49 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jan 28, 2013, titled Harmon-Wright Defense Asks for Mistrial. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Wednesday morning the judge was told a dictionary had been found in the jury room with the page marked to murder.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
John Teller

Charlottesville, VA

#41 Jan 30, 2013
Facts wrote:
<quoted text>Cousins...Shifflett
Shifflett, Morris,Pace,and Maupin. Nuf said...inbreeding causes diminished IQ's for sure. Never met anyone of them I would trust with my money or I left a knife laying around in front of, much less want on a jury.
jogger

Charlottesville, VA

#42 Jan 30, 2013
this guy and george hurley will have a lot to talk about....
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#43 Jan 31, 2013
dweeb wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought I read that one of the jurors admitted bringing a dictionary in, but I have a hard time sorting out truth from conspiracy theory. A point, for what it is worth: Court security is handled by the Culpeper County Sheriff's Office. Mr. Wright was employed by the Town of Culpeper Police Department, not the Sheriff's Office. It may be that someone from the Sheriff's Office wanted to help somone in the Police Department, but they are, in fact, different law enforcement agencies.
Hopefully, the Judge will announce in her ruling whether the offending reference materials were brought in by a juror.
If they were, do ya' think the Judge will throw the book at 'em? Get it? "Book"?
All kidding aside, if I were on a jury, I would be sorely tempted to do my own research if I felt like I did not have the information to make an informed decision. With the state of wireless communications, I can see the day when juries are sequestered without access to their telephones.
"it was discovered two dictionaries and one thesaurus were brought into the jury room during deliberations, a violation of the judge’s rules.
Six jurors admitted to looking up definitions of at least one of these words: "malice," "malicious," or "unlawful."
The other six said they relied solely on the judge’s written instructions.
In the case of the word malice, one juror testified,“we understood the definition better after reading the dictionary. It was more straight forward.”
Prosecutor Jim Fisher asked one juror,“After getting a clearer definition of the word ‘malice’ did you reach a resolution in favor of the defendant?” She responded “Yes."
“I’m not going to get into it at this point. I’m going to decline to comment because it’s still an ongoing issue so I’m looking forward to seeing everybody Friday morning,” says Fisher.
The jury foreman testified she was the one who brought the dictionaries and thesaurus into the room and says she first asked a bailiff if it was OK.
After Harmon-Wright was brought back to jail, Sheriff Scott Jenkins says that the bailiff did nothing wrong.
“The judge gave specific orders to the jurors not to bring outside resources and if they disobeyed that it has nothing to do with the court staff,” says Jenkins.
The judge will recess until Friday at 9 a.m., when she will make a ruling."

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/01/daniel-h...
Liberalace

Collinsville, VA

#44 Jan 31, 2013
Nancy wrote:
Should something like this surprise any of us? I've said all along that he will get away with the murder of Mrs. Cook. When the verdict was read yesterday I was completely shocked,because, I thought he would walk a "free" man.But lo and behold or as the famous "Church Lady" would say,"Well surprise, suprise." Is it any wonder that "someone" left the dictionary in the room.Am I the only one to feel that it was left behind,just to have someone find it?They say the good Lord looks after fools and babies.Does he look after murderers also????????? Hmmmmmm!!! Or maybe, just maybe, there is someone else looking out for Harmon-Wright(other than his mother.)
Actually, the Church Lady's catchphrase was: "Well, isn't that special?"

The "Surprise, surprise" comes from the newly-married, 82-year-old Jim Nabors, playing Gummer Pyle, USMC. Congratulations to the just-married couple, and their quartet of wrinkled doo-dads.

R.I.P.: Frank Sutton
randomthoughts

Atlanta, GA

#45 Jan 31, 2013
LawStudent wrote:
<quoted text>
I just re-checked this thread before bedtime, saw this, and could not help myself to respond.
You are an idiot....
Goodnight.
You keep going to law school :)

You will learn more from the criminals sitting in the hall waiting on a good plea.

They will show you around the system long before you figure it out how to do it.

I hope you slept well.
GoUVa

Washington, DC

#46 Jan 31, 2013
Nancy wrote:
Should something like this surprise any of us? I've said all along that he will get away with the murder of Mrs. Cook. When the verdict was read yesterday I was completely shocked,because, I thought he would walk a "free" man.But lo and behold or as the famous "Church Lady" would say,"Well surprise, suprise." Is it any wonder that "someone" left the dictionary in the room.Am I the only one to feel that it was left behind,just to have someone find it?They say the good Lord looks after fools and babies.Does he look after murderers also????????? Hmmmmmm!!! Or maybe, just maybe, there is someone else looking out for Harmon-Wright(other than his mother.)
Nuts/Clueless/Wrong/Spam! Clicking on those was not enough for you. I just had to say it.
Pete

Washington, DC

#47 Jan 31, 2013
Harmon-Wright is no friend to law enforcement. His co-workers found him to be a disgrace.
His mother "fudged" his employment paperwork (proven in court documents), he was an excessive drinker and had issues w/agressivness.
He was over zealous & inexperienced and shot Mrs. Cooke-basically in cold blood; putting others in harms way while doing so.
The jury did the right thing!
Kerston

Charlottesville, VA

#48 Jan 31, 2013
Marcus wrote:
Drive with my arm in the window and I would shoot the **** too
Keep your arm out of my window ! Why would you be putting your arm in the window?????
Kerston

Charlottesville, VA

#49 Jan 31, 2013
dweeb wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought I read that one of the jurors admitted bringing a dictionary in, but I have a hard time sorting out truth from conspiracy theory. A point, for what it is worth: Court security is handled by the Culpeper County Sheriff's Office. Mr. Wright was employed by the Town of Culpeper Police Department, not the Sheriff's Office. It may be that someone from the Sheriff's Office wanted to help somone in the Police Department, but they are, in fact, different law enforcement agencies.
Hopefully, the Judge will announce in her ruling whether the offending reference materials were brought in by a juror.
If they were, do ya' think the Judge will throw the book at 'em? Get it? "Book"?
All kidding aside, if I were on a jury, I would be sorely tempted to do my own research if I felt like I did not have the information to make an informed decision. With the state of wireless communications, I can see the day when juries are sequestered without access to their telephones.
I imagine they are. My husband was called for jury duty and they did not allow them to bring sell phones even for jury selection.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Augusta County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Augusta County House Fire - NBC29 WVIR Charlott... (Apr '12) Wed Ashley 5
Correctional Officer May '16 Correctional Officer 1
News America's anti-Muslim hysteria comes to a Virgi... (Dec '15) Dec '15 PATRIOT_TEXAN 8
News How a lesson on Islam led to school closings th... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Ritual Habitual 4
Schools Close Over Islam Dispute (Dec '15) Dec '15 Fed Up Vote Trump 2
drug distribution in augusta county (Nov '15) Nov '15 shariblue 1
Smith Circus (Nov '15) Nov '15 Smith the Loose C... 1
More from around the web