Harmon-Wright Defense Asks for Mistrial

Wednesday morning the judge was told a dictionary had been found in the jury room with the page marked to murder. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
jogger

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jan 30, 2013
are you kidding me....this guy needs a severe time out....say about 20-25 years....
Why does the media always publish the clean cut cop photo when in reality this guy is a fat slob...and why in the world did the defense attorney let him appear in court with that beard...that absolutely did nothing for his image....
LawStudent

Louisa, VA

#2 Jan 30, 2013
That could indeed cause a mistrial. He could & should be set free if that material was in the jury room.
Marcus

Waynesboro, VA

#3 Jan 30, 2013
Drive with my arm in the window and I would shoot the bitch too
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jan 30, 2013
what a mess
More Tattoos Than Teeth

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jan 30, 2013
A dictionary? This is central Virginia where few can spell the names of their own inbred cousins so what's the problem? Juries should be encouraged to learn how to spell names like Harmon-Wright even if it takes a dictionary to figure it out.

Harmon-Wright? What is this? Did he take his wife's last name?
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Jan 30, 2013
More Tattoos Than Teeth wrote:
A dictionary? This is central Virginia where few can spell the names of their own inbred cousins so what's the problem? Juries should be encouraged to learn how to spell names like Harmon-Wright even if it takes a dictionary to figure it out.
We want to encourage blind and dumb justice.
Deputy Dawg

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Jan 30, 2013
jogger wrote:
...and why in the world did the defense attorney let him appear in court with that beard...that absolutely did nothing for his image....
Unless he has shaven recently, the attorney has the same.
chili squirts

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Jan 30, 2013
LawStudent wrote:
That could indeed cause a mistrial. He could & should be set free if that material was in the jury room.
set free?? or retried?
chili squirts

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jan 30, 2013
More Tattoos Than Teeth wrote:
oh dear. not good with logic, are you?
Gecko

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Jan 30, 2013
Yet another crooked turn in the justice system. Who's to say that dictionary wasn't taken into the room intentionally by one of the jurors for the very reason of causing a mistrial... this day and time you never know what people will do.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jan 30, 2013
DID YOU HEAR THAT

Culpeper, VA

#12 Jan 30, 2013
Wait for it
Tom Painter

Waynesboro, VA

#13 Jan 30, 2013
Maybe it was planted there
JD in VA

Alexandria, VA

#14 Jan 30, 2013
So, being able to spell/define words disqualifies you as a juror? Good to know...
noodles66

Front Royal, VA

#15 Jan 30, 2013
...will to bet this was a plant by another sympathetic Law Enforcement Officer......should this come to light, he also should receive a stiff penalty.
...on the other hand, they need to throw the book at this cartoon of a man......the Thin Blue Line can not save you now, your gonna burn.
JD in VA

Alexandria, VA

#16 Jan 30, 2013
And I'm not in Corona, CA, by the way. What's up with that, Topix?
JD in VA

Alexandria, VA

#17 Jan 30, 2013
LawStudent wrote:
How is a dictionary in the room cause for a mistrial or reason to set him free? Some material I could understand being problematic (newspapers covering the case, etc.), but a dictionary?
noodles66

Front Royal, VA

#18 Jan 30, 2013
LawStudent wrote:
...how do we even prove to the courts that this is even true......this stinks like fish.
thirsty

Greenbelt, MD

#19 Jan 30, 2013
He was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter. The dictionary was turned to the word murder. A mistrial will mean a new trial. The next jury might decide it was murder and not manslaughter. Asking for a mistrial sounds like a bad plan if you ask me. Unless he wants more time in jail of course.
Beebee

Orange, VA

#20 Jan 30, 2013
Another news report stated that the jurors looked up the definition for "malice".Probably to help them clear up difference between murder and manslaughter. Too bad they didn't ask the judge for clarification, tho. Something to think about...how did a juror get these books in to the jury room and why did he/she leave them there?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Augusta County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
7-11 Robbery Suspect Arrested - NBC29 WVIR Char... (Dec '11) Dec 15 Farrington 9
Shame on McDonalds Nov 27 Shame on McDonalds 1
Augusta Sheriff's Office Receives Reports of Po... Nov '14 Safety is in Jeop... 1
Staunton City Council Adopts Resolution Opposin... Oct '14 pierre 1
Officer Involved Shooting In Augusta County Oct '14 pierre 1
Petition To Stop Pipeline in Augusta County Oct '14 pierre 1
City Meth Dealer Gets 15 Years Oct '14 melmel 1
More from around the web