Family of Lyndhurst Train Accident Vi...

Family of Lyndhurst Train Accident Victim Visits Scene

There are 24 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jun 14, 2013, titled Family of Lyndhurst Train Accident Victim Visits Scene. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Jessica Collins Lowe died Saturday afternoon when she was struck by an oncoming train in Augusta County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Prayers

Warrenton, VA

#1 Jun 16, 2013
Prayers to the family and friends of this young woman.
A Mother

Faber, VA

#2 Jun 16, 2013
"“I’m mourning, and I don't know when I’ll ever stop…if I do ever stop.” Lowe stated."

You won't ever stop mourning. It will get easier with time, but it never goes away completely. Don't let anyone tell you that you should be "over it" by now--whenever that is.

I am truly sorry for your pain. I am praying for you. When the grief becomes overwhelming, pull out the good memories and rejoice for the 19 years you had together.
Sunset

Etters, PA

#3 Jun 16, 2013
Keep them safe! There is a reason why railroad is private property! My heart goes out to her family!
Mother of Two

Richmond, VA

#4 Jun 16, 2013
God bless you and your family. So sorry for your loss.
QUINQUE

Johnson City, TN

#5 Jun 16, 2013
My most deepest condolences for miss Lowes Family & friends. so so sad
RandomThoughts

Atlanta, GA

#6 Jun 16, 2013
Good quality fun for kids today .

I have fished from that bridge.

God speed to her family .
common sense

Canal Winchester, OH

#7 Jun 16, 2013
The sad thing about this story is all she was doing was enjoying life. She wasn't doing anything wrong breaking any laws just having fun. Prayers to her their family.
Mike

Scottsville, VA

#8 Jun 16, 2013
I don't get this....looks like maybe a 15' or 20' jump tops into the water.

I'm a train head and have read about lots of these, and the human instinct is to jump even if the height is 75'

Any signs of suicide/depression/argument?
Shame

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jun 17, 2013
Shame on you NBC29 for putting this video on the news. You have no compassion.
RandomThoughts

Atlanta, GA

#10 Jun 17, 2013
Mike wrote:
I don't get this....looks like maybe a 15' or 20' jump tops into the water.
I'm a train head and have read about lots of these, and the human instinct is to jump even if the height is 75'
Any signs of suicide/depression/argument?
Everything happens for a reason .

The poor girl probably paniced and froze.

Growing up on both a river and a set of tracks , if your a train head you know its amazing how fast those massive noise makers can be on top of you .
Eaglescout1984

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Jun 17, 2013
common sense wrote:
The sad thing about this story is all she was doing was enjoying life. She wasn't doing anything wrong breaking any laws just having fun. Prayers to her their family.
I don't like to "victim blame" when someone has died, but I want to point out to you she was breaking the law. She was trespassing on the railroad property. They even post signs on the end of trestles with a warning not to trespass, to try and prevent tragedies like this.

Regardless, this is still a life taken too soon and the family is grieving a big loss. So prayers to them. They have a long road ahead of them and seeing her mother is heartbreaking.
83fan

Waynesboro, VA

#13 Jun 17, 2013
Shame wrote:
Shame on you NBC29 for putting this video on the news. You have no compassion.
Seems to me it would be up to the Mother to make that decision , she could have declined, NBC29 not to blame !!
Who Knows

Faber, VA

#14 Jun 17, 2013
Mike wrote:
I don't get this....looks like maybe a 15' or 20' jump tops into the water.
I'm a train head and have read about lots of these, and the human instinct is to jump even if the height is 75'
Any signs of suicide/depression/argument?
She paniced. If you read the article, her friend tried to get her to come off the trestle the "short way," but that was towards the train, but she ran away from the train, a longer distance. I'm an adult that grew up besides the tracks, but I doubt I would be brave enough to run towards an oncoming train instead of away from it.

Quote NBC29:He tried to take her off, get her to go off the short way, and she panicked and went this way and was unable to get off the bridge before the train caught up with her.

Quote News Virginian: "She attempted to run south away from the train,'' Jenkins said. She stumbled, got up and ran again but not in time to avoid being hit by the train."
RRSAFETYSUCKS

Clarksville, TN

#15 Jun 17, 2013
The no warning on the trestle after the railroad has killed 100s in the same manner is no accident but MURDER BY BAD LAW!!
Fluvanna Reader

Richmond, VA

#17 Jun 17, 2013
Shame wrote:
Shame on you NBC29 for putting this video on the news. You have no compassion.
I agree with you totally -- NBC29 this was the most untasteful video I have every seen on TV. It's a tragic story and my heart goes out to the family but the coverage was so uncompassionate it made me sick. You need to care for the people involved and not for the "ONLY ON 29" coverage you provide. This was truely in bad taste and I hope you don't show it again. You have finally given me reason to go to Channel 19 news.
You're heartless and uncaring as to personal feelings of people.
Walla

Staunton, VA

#18 Jun 17, 2013
The mother can't even put down her cigarette for an on camera interview...

It's not like they were at a railroad crossing - they were on a railroad trestle which is designed for railroad use only as you ca see by its design. Her death is only tragic because it was caused by stupidity that could have been prevented by not being on the trestle to begin with.

From the Federal Railroad Administration's website: "Other types of trespassing activities include fishing from railroad trestles and riding ATVs or snowmobiles on the railroads right-of-way." Last time I checked, trespassing was against the law...
Scene Enough

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Jun 17, 2013
83fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me it would be up to the Mother to make that decision , she could have declined, NBC29 not to blame !!
Seeing that video, I doubt she even realized what was happening. That woman was completely distraught and NBC 29 should have had better sense than to air that video. Bad decision, period.
Sherry

United States

#20 Jun 17, 2013
Fluvanna Reader wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with you totally -- NBC29 this was the most untasteful video I have every seen on TV. It's a tragic story and my heart goes out to the family but the coverage was so uncompassionate it made me sick. You need to care for the people involved and not for the "ONLY ON 29" coverage you provide. This was truely in bad taste and I hope you don't show it again. You have finally given me reason to go to Channel 19 news.
You're heartless and uncaring as to personal feelings of people.
I disagree! I do not think the video was untasteful. Maybe by watching this video people will be more aware of the dangers and think twice about even walking on the tracks, let alone fishing. My heart goes out to the family and friends of this young girl, as well as the conductor of the train. This can not be easy for him either.
Somebody Had to Say it

Chantilly, VA

#21 Jun 17, 2013
A Mother wrote:
"“I’m mourning, and I don't know when I’ll ever stop…if I do ever stop.” Lowe stated."
You won't ever stop mourning. It will get easier with time, but it never goes away completely. Don't let anyone tell you that you should be "over it" by now--whenever that is.
I am truly sorry for your pain. I am praying for you. When the grief becomes overwhelming, pull out the good memories and rejoice for the 19 years you had together.
Great post. Truest words ever spoken.
A Mother

Faber, VA

#22 Jun 17, 2013
Walla wrote:
The mother can't even put down her cigarette for an on camera interview...
You obviously have never lost a beloved child to death. I absolutely hate the vile habit of smoking, but as a mother who has lost a child to death, in the aftermath of that tragic death, the last thing on your mind is how you look to the public, on camera or not. This is real life, not Reality T.V..

I neither smoke or drink, but I could even see myself grabbing either if I thought it would help me through those first few days of unbearable grief and agony.

I don't cuss either, but if NBC29 stuck a camera in my face the next day at the site of the accident, I might just have spewed a few words not fit for the news!!! They should have had the decency to let the mother grieve in private. The spot where your child dies is forever a place of horror. My child died in a hospital and I was unable to even visit family there for five years. I cannot drive by, now nine years later, without crying.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Augusta County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Virginia Department Corrections Nov 23 Failed Leadership 1
Hugh Cassell Security Sep '17 Hugh Cassell Secu... 1
Farm Use Vehicles Jul '17 TurkeyChick 1
Black BMW Road Rage Jul '17 Black BMW Road Rage 1
Prison Officers Alone Jun '17 Prison Officers A... 1
Augusta Correctional (May '17) May '17 Augusta Correctio... 1
Officers Work 84 Hours (May '17) May '17 Officers Work 84 ... 1
More from around the web