Democrats plan trip to Ashland County...

Democrats plan trip to Ashland County to he...

There are 1 comment on the WTAQ-AM Green Bay story from Feb 7, 2013, titled Democrats plan trip to Ashland County to he.... In it, WTAQ-AM Green Bay reports that:

UNDATED If Republicans won't do it, Democrats will. Two Democratic lawmakers say they'll hold a public hearing on Saturday in Ashland on the G-O-P's bill that would make it easier for Gogebic Taconite to open a new iron ore mine in Ashland and Iron counties.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTAQ-AM Green Bay.

Quit Whining

Boyd, WI

#1 Feb 8, 2013
Many of the people and towns in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan wouldn't be here if it weren't for the mining industry or any industry in general. Mining can be done safely. If people put as much effort into helping it be done safely and over seeing it as they do in trying to block it, we could set a precedent on safe mining.
Saying "Do it somewhere else" is nothing short if irresponsible. Out of sight out of mind ? That's just brushing it off so others have to deal with it. Use the knowledge everyone is claiming they have to participate in a positive way. To get it done right.
If they mine across the border it won't affect us ? That's ridiculous.
The tribal government is saying no, yet, Native Americans, at one time, showed the miners where the large deposits were to mine.
People want to work and they want to do it safely. The people that would work there live here also. Many of the people in the area that support it are 3rd, 4th, 5th or more, generations of families that grew up in the area.
It won't be like it was. Mining has changed in many ways. If you are that set against mining, than park your car, move out of your house, and quit using any product that comes from mining, because EVERYONE is using a product that is a result of a mining project and baffling people to have a cause, isn't good enough. I think there's been enough hypocrisy.
Driving a car, buying plastic anything, running any engine, using fly spray, washing your windshield at a gas station, using toilet bowl cleaner, running bleach into your sewer, leaving your garden house hooked to a faucet that's on with the hose end off, using disposable diapers, cell phones, TV's, batteries of any kind - that's also environmentally irresponsible. The mining project will boost the area economy enormously. With people paying attention to the mining operation, it can be safely watch guarded. Think about what residents do everyday and what products they use and the waste from those products. Tires, we see everywhere on the side of the road. Garbage burners. Plastic water bottles galore. Garbage all over the ditches. Pesticides, cleaners, gas, oil, antifreeze, all on the ground. If there were other jobs available for the people, they'd be working in them. As it stands now, there is a house for sale on every block. They are going to do a mine in the North. That's a given. It won't be that far from us if its not done in Wisconsin. So many people have congregated to the North from the larger cities to enjoy our area. Problem is, their area was like ours, before they got a hold of It in the first place. There have been mines and industry in this state for years. It obviously did some good because so many families have been here so long. The northern state were originally formed on mining, logging and farming. Tourism will not support this area. It can't. It's seasonal and with the cost of living people can't afford an over priced room for the weekend. Drive down 2nd street and see the buildings that are for rent or for sale or just empty. There will always be support and opposition for any type of industry. Especially in the North. We have landfills everywhere that have done a lot more damage than the mine could do. We know they don't follow the rules all the time. Imagine what's buried and hidden in the ground that we put there. The mine will be in the open. It will be surrounded by people that should take it upon themselves to keep an eye on it. The same way we check a car that we see on the side of the road to see someone is hurt. The way we give the person ahead of us at the store a little help to cover their groceries. The way we bring food to the food shelf or hold a door for someone. It's up to us. We can yell and say no, but that's not going to work. The mine will go in somewhere. It would be nice if it helped our area. So many people have lost their homes, cars, jobs, and families in our area. There needs to be some relief.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Six Wolves Found Dead in Wisconsin (Dec '08) May '15 in terms of this 30
April 5th 2011 election results (Apr '11) Apr '11 Denbear 1
News Head north for Wisconsin produce (Jul '10) Jul '10 Steven Pockat 1
News Duffy resigns DA job to focus on congressional ... (Jun '10) Jun '10 storm warning 1
US man, Gabe Watson, who has been charged with ... (Oct '08) Oct '08 Amy 1
News Health (May '08) May '08 Muckraker462 1
News Health officials investigate suspected outbreak... (Jun '06) Jun '06 Nunyour Bizzness 1
More from around the web