Arkansas pays this judge $147,000 a y...

Arkansas pays this judge $147,000 a year to lock tens of thousands of people up for being poor

There are 55 comments on the ThinkProgress story from Aug 9, 2018, titled Arkansas pays this judge $147,000 a year to lock tens of thousands of people up for being poor. In it, ThinkProgress reports that:

A monument to Confederate soldiers stands outside the White County Courthouse in Searcy, Arkansas, where a new lawsuit says Judge Mark Derrick has been making indentured servants out of poor people who cant pay traffic tickets for decades. CREDIT: Shane Vaughn/Wikimedia Commons The dirt-poor residents of a hardscrabble Arkansas county are routinely sent to jail for being broke by a judge who earns $147,000 a year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ThinkProgress.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
guest

Frisco, TX

#1 Aug 9, 2018
I am betting a crime came into place
Doofus Derrick

Searcy, AR

#2 Aug 9, 2018
That is the “judge” known to all as “Doofus” or “Judge Doofus Derrick”.
About time

Searcy, AR

#3 Aug 9, 2018
Looks like they are finally going to do something about that judge.
Uh Oh

United States

#6 Aug 10, 2018
Mark Derrick court problems was the headline news story on KARK 4 TV News tonight.
D done it again

Searcy, AR

#7 Aug 11, 2018
Is this the end of Doofus?
Out of Control judge

Searcy, AR

#8 Aug 12, 2018
D done it again wrote:
Is this the end of Doofus?
It should be. What a little Hitler.

Since: May 18

Location hidden

#9 Aug 12, 2018
Indentured servants? Do you mean community service?

This article should be titled, criminals that commits crime, then cry because there is consequences.

These "poor" people are more likely this poor over poor life choices. Which like committing these crimes, has consequences.

Even people without a conscious understands this concept.

This is just liberal garbage placing blame, hoping to provoke violence by suggesting the thought of "confederate statues" toward it being race related.

It appears, they want the same violence that's been seen in other parts of the county, to spill over to here. This is merely a manipulation tactic designed to create division.
Guest

Narvon, PA

#10 Aug 12, 2018
OicoSpath wrote:
Indentured servants? Do you mean community service?

This article should be titled, criminals that commits crime, then cry because there is consequences.

These "poor" people are more likely this poor over poor life choices. Which like committing these crimes, has consequences.

Even people without a conscious understands this concept.

This is just liberal garbage placing blame, hoping to provoke violence by suggesting the thought of "confederate statues" toward it being race related.

It appears, they want the same violence that's been seen in other parts of the county, to spill over to here. This is merely a manipulation tactic designed to create division.
Says the privileged middle aged white dude.
Thank Goodness

Searcy, AR

#11 Aug 12, 2018
Doofus Derrick short timing now.
Knew It Would Happen

Searcy, AR

#12 Aug 13, 2018
Goofy is as Goofy does.
Add meaness, a weird religious bent, and a black robe to the mix and this is what you get.
Moutg

United States

#13 Aug 14, 2018
Exactly

Since: May 18

Location hidden

#14 Aug 14, 2018
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>Says the privileged middle aged white dude.
I've never stated anything about myself for you to know my race, gender, or age. You assume this because my opinion is in opposition of the article. And then you attempt to invalidate it by stereotyping me. Which is clearly evidence against a white male having a "privilege". Being a white male appears to be a disadvantage for him, concerning his opinion and thoughts.

An inherited "privilege" due to being born a certain race, does not exist anymore. It indeed once did. However those times are gone. It is now a myth, an excuse used by the liberal democrats for their short coming to avoid responsibility for their inadequacies. And to keep minorities voting for them. It's manipulation.

Also, the article is not about race, at all. It is about people in bad financial situations. Like with the article, you take that and attempt to make it about race. I assure you, people of all color are poor, and find themselves at disadvantages because of it.

Since: May 18

Location hidden

#15 Aug 14, 2018
I'll expand on my last post some.

Encounters that occur with two people depends solely on each of them. Based on their environment and what influenced them from birth to that exact moment. If one was Influenced by different things and people, to expect certain things from the other person based merely off race, in which they inevitably profiled them based on all the things that influenced them. Then they may see things in and with the other person, that really isn't there.

An example of that would be, a person not really speaking to the other person. The person on the receiving end that's been influenced that everything is because of his/her color, may take it as that's why the person is being short with them. But in reality, the other person is just shy and insecure. The encounter ends under the false assumption it was race related. Which furthers influences his position in the future, until it is influenced differently.

I don't expect everyone to understand this. Unfortunately, It takes an above average mind that can view things without any biases to wrap their mind around human nature, and how it can be influenced and manipulated from a multitude of events. Master manipulators know this, and use this against everyone in attempt to sway people to their cause. Politicians and people who are politically motivated are some of the best in the business with this sort of manipulation.
Bill from Searcy

Searcy, AR

#16 Aug 14, 2018
It is called "Arkansas Values"
Elmer

Cherokee Village, AR

#17 Aug 14, 2018
OicoSpath wrote:
I'll expand on my last post some.

Encounters that occur with two people depends solely on each of them. Based on their environment and what influenced them from birth to that exact moment. If one was Influenced by different things and people, to expect certain things from the other person based merely off race, in which they inevitably profiled them based on all the things that influenced them. Then they may see things in and with the other person, that really isn't there.

An example of that would be, a person not really speaking to the other person. The person on the receiving end that's been influenced that everything is because of his/her color, may take it as that's why the person is being short with them. But in reality, the other person is just shy and insecure. The encounter ends under the false assumption it was race related. Which furthers influences his position in the future, until it is influenced differently.

I don't expect everyone to understand this. Unfortunately, It takes an above average mind that can view things without any biases to wrap their mind around human nature, and how it can be influenced and manipulated from a multitude of events. Master manipulators know this, and use this against everyone in attempt to sway people to their cause. Politicians and people who are politically motivated are some of the best in the business with this sort of manipulation.
OicoSpath, you seem to use the word manipulation a lot in your post throughout this thread. Is it because your Father manipulates your aashole every night with is big calused fingers? Is it because your Father has his fingers in your aashole all of the time, you are angry at the world?
Is it because of your Fathers constant fingering of your aashole you are a Psychopath???
Please share your thoughts with us.
Mouth

United States

#18 Aug 14, 2018
OicoSpath wrote:
<quoted text>

I've never stated anything about myself for you to know my race, gender, or age. You assume this because my opinion is in opposition of the article. And then you attempt to invalidate it by stereotyping me. Which is clearly evidence against a white male having a "privilege". Being a white male appears to be a disadvantage for him, concerning his opinion and thoughts.

An inherited "privilege" due to being born a certain race, does not exist anymore. It indeed once did. However those times are gone. It is now a myth, an excuse used by the liberal democrats for their short coming to avoid responsibility for their inadequacies. And to keep minorities voting for them. It's manipulation.

Also, the article is not about race, at all. It is about people in bad financial situations. Like with the article, you take that and attempt to make it about race. I assure you, people of all color are poor, and find themselves at disadvantages because of it.
Couldn't have said it any better myself.
Bad News

Searcy, AR

#19 Aug 14, 2018
The Doofus judge made front page headlines of the Daily Citizen newspaper today.

Since: May 18

Location hidden

#20 Aug 14, 2018
Elmer wrote:
<quoted text>OicoSpath, you seem to use the word manipulation a lot in your post throughout this thread. Is it because your Father manipulates your aashole every night with is big calused fingers? Is it because your Father has his fingers in your aashole all of the time, you are angry at the world?
Is it because of your Fathers constant fingering of your aashole you are a Psychopath???
Please share your thoughts with us.
Elmer, I'm fairly certain you just projected your own childhood.
And it's Socio, your failed somewhere in your decrypting. Also I'm not mad at the world, like Shakespeare describes in "Merry wives of Windsor". The world is my oyster.
Auntduke

Monroe, LA

#21 Aug 14, 2018
OicoSpath wrote:
Indentured servants? Do you mean community service?

This article should be titled, criminals that commits crime, then cry because there is consequences.

These "poor" people are more likely this poor over poor life choices. Which like committing these crimes, has consequences.

Even people without a conscious understands this concept.

This is just liberal garbage placing blame, hoping to provoke violence by suggesting the thought of "confederate statues" toward it being race related.

It appears, they want the same violence that's been seen in other parts of the county, to spill over to here. This is merely a manipulation tactic designed to create division.
I think Arkansas and every state should add three strike your gone for life. It would stop all the drugs , thieves drive bys and all the crap that goes on all the time . I am sick of it i would voye for it.
Dixie

United States

#22 Aug 14, 2018
OicoSpath wrote:
<quoted text>

Elmer, I'm fairly certain you just projected your own childhood.
And it's Socio, your failed somewhere in your decrypting. Also I'm not mad at the world, like Shakespeare describes in "Merry wives of Windsor". The world is my oyster.
Ociospath you should wait and see what the courts do about this hanging judge. If he is cleared then you made your case, if not then you will know who you are. I don't know him but it seems like there is a lot of evidence against him. Lets just wait and see before you blow yourself. up. Just because someone is poor and or black don't give you the right stand on their head. Lets just wait and see. Can you do that. I don't know where to look to find your Oster but I will leave that alone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arkansas County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Straight-line winds down power lines, trees in ... (May '18) May '18 friend 3
News 22 mins. ago - Missing Arkansas County man foun... (Mar '12) Dec '17 His moma 14
News Arkansas woman admits to using county cash to b... (Oct '17) Oct '17 Kenny 2
News Arkansas woman admits using county cash to buy ... (Sep '17) Sep '17 Latter Day Taint 1
News Duggar records shouldn't have been released, Ar... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Golick Yurlollipop 4
News Civil War markers dedicated during open house (Nov '14) Nov '14 thelawdog 1
News Clerk won't issue marriage licenses to gay couples (May '14) May '14 mrbig 1