Wal-Mart opening to be delayed

Jan 4, 2008 Full story: Times Virginian 10

“Town officials have been very cooperative throughout this process, and we expect nothing less as we move forward”

Wal-Mart officials informed the Times-Virginian last week that the opening of its planned supercenter has been pushed back. via Times Virginian

Full Story
Roger

AOL

#1 Aug 22, 2008
Hello,(16 year resident)
I think Walmart coming here is a very good idea. I mean it would boost our economy here, give more jobs to area residents who are struggling to make ends meet in the county by traveling to lynchburg or farmville and even roanoke to find jobs. The gas expense alone can be devasting to local residents. It would also give other businesses a chance to get in our community for recreation, lets face it people there is nothing to do here, but drink, smoke weed (if you do) and party, not good for a community where we ended one of the countries important wars. It would bring more tourists, more money and jobs. I keep hearing that it would hurt local businesses, I mean the ones that are now struggling to stay afloat are closing anyway, it would not make a bit of difference, they are already going out of business. At least when they do, they could find a job and not find themselves homeless. I hope everyone that reads this will make the same conclusion that I did about walmart, people we need it or our county is in big economic trouble. more jobs = more money = more money means more things to do and keep our enoonomy going. The taxes alone from walmart would be a great revenue for the county.
sara

King George, VA

#2 Sep 21, 2008
Is there really a Wal-Mart coming to Appomattox ?
The town could really use one. It would be very good.
karen

United States

#3 Oct 7, 2008
glad wal mart is comming it will save us money on gas
Peggy

Farmville, VA

#4 Nov 11, 2008
The town of Appomattox has agreed recently to wave certain taxes and fees for Walmart to move in. This is what Walmart does, has a town feel like they need them so much that the town makes unequal deals. This idea of Walmart coming to yown is not necessarily a good thing. Why should a small town cowtow to a large corporation who exploits people of this country and others in order to get rich themselves. Furthermore, what is Appomattox going to do with the empy buildings after Walmart puts small businesses out? It will really be an eyesore, as well. Why not capitalize on what Appomattox does have, for instance, small family businesses, history, national park, state park, the hitorical society's museum and village, and the quaint and cozy atmosphere that this rural small town posses?
Roger wrote:
Hello,(16 year resident)
I think Walmart coming here is a very good idea. I mean it would boost our economy here, give more jobs to area residents who are struggling to make ends meet in the county by traveling to lynchburg or farmville and even roanoke to find jobs. The gas expense alone can be devasting to local residents. It would also give other businesses a chance to get in our community for recreation, lets face it people there is nothing to do here, but drink, smoke weed (if you do) and party, not good for a community where we ended one of the countries important wars. It would bring more tourists, more money and jobs. I keep hearing that it would hurt local businesses, I mean the ones that are now struggling to stay afloat are closing anyway, it would not make a bit of difference, they are already going out of business. At least when they do, they could find a job and not find themselves homeless. I hope everyone that reads this will make the same conclusion that I did about walmart, people we need it or our county is in big economic trouble. more jobs = more money = more money means more things to do and keep our enoonomy going. The taxes alone from walmart would be a great revenue for the county.
Peggy

Farmville, VA

#5 Nov 11, 2008
The town of Appomattox has agreed recently to wave certain taxes and fees for Walmart to move in. This is what Walmart does, has a town feel like they need them so much that the town makes unequal deals. This idea of Walmart coming to yown is not necessarily a good thing. Why should a small town cowtow to a large corporation who exploits people of this country and others in order to get rich themselves. Furthermore, what is Appomattox going to do with the empty buildings after Walmart puts small businesses out? It will really be an eyesore, as well. Why not capitalize on what Appomattox does have, for instance, small family businesses, history, national park, state park, the hitorical society's museum and village, and the quaint and cozy atmosphere that this rural small town posses? see walmartwatch.com for the real story of this corporation and what effects it has on a small town
rosey

AOL

#6 Nov 15, 2008
Recenty read where Appomattox is in need of millions of dollars for capital improvements in our school system. Instead of taxing the little man to death why not dictate to Walmart that they pay their fair share of these needed revenues?? If they decline tell em "thanks but no thanks".Don't get me wrong, it would be convient for me to not have to drive to Farmville, Lynchburg, or Madison Hts. to go to Walmart. I've been doing it for years anyway, so what's the difference??????

“Dogs Rule”

Since: Jan 07

I claim Scott Co

#7 Jan 9, 2009
I have been all over this country and seen many walmarts go up, in both large cities and small towns.... You do not want this.... Yes at first it is wonderful jobs, a gathering place, a nice bright clean store, many options and "good prices' until they start cutting back on employee hours, the prices creep up.., then the store starts becoming a bit messy... then one day ya look up and they are running on a skelaton crew the store & parking lot is filthy... oh yeah then there's no turning back for all the "other" business'es have dried up... gas station, oil changer's, flower shop's, pharmacy's. card shop's, eye dr's, nail salon's, fabric think really hard the trickle of cause & effect is Huge...
Just seen it all over, When Mr Sam Walton was a live it was run with integerity but now bottom dollar not lives are the main factor...
sara

King George, VA

#8 Aug 3, 2009
I see they have started the ground work for the new WalMart. Should be up & open by next year.
Localbusinessown er

Forest, VA

#9 Sep 28, 2009
Peggy wrote:
The town of Appomattox has agreed recently to wave certain taxes and fees for Walmart to move in. This is what Walmart does, has a town feel like they need them so much that the town makes unequal deals. This idea of Walmart coming to yown is not necessarily a good thing. Why should a small town cowtow to a large corporation who exploits people of this country and others in order to get rich themselves. Furthermore, what is Appomattox going to do with the empy buildings after Walmart puts small businesses out? It will really be an eyesore, as well. Why not capitalize on what Appomattox does have, for instance, small family businesses, history, national park, state park, the hitorical society's museum and village, and the quaint and cozy atmosphere that this rural small town posses?<quoted text>
I would normally come to the same conclusion, that we wont to keep Appomattox and have local people with businesses...but I speak as a Business Owner in Appomattox, no one shops at the local stores...many businesses open and close because there is no traffic from local people...thats why we have nothing...We couldnt sell toys at Christmas time with a store right on Church street...so I feel the local Appomattox people had their chance but didnt support it...so now we need to be able to save every dime...lower prices and less gas

“ <><”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#10 Oct 6, 2009
I think if Food Lion & others stores would Lower their prices then they would get more business.The small stores have gone up a lot in their prices over the last 6 or so years.

Lower prices is why WalMart has a lot of business & is growing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Appomattox County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Small animal swap!! (Sep '13) Sep '13 one 1
Has a black person every held office in Appomat... (Jun '12) Jun '12 dixielandgirl 1
Family Files Suit After Man Dies after Shot by ... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Guardian 38
Speight Indicted on Murder Charges (Apr '10) Apr '10 BOB 2
State Trooper Nominated for All-Star Award - wtvr (Feb '10) Feb '10 Tom 3
Virginia is for Shooters (Jan '10) Jan '10 RustyS 4
Night-vision equipment, weapons, ammunition, bo... (Jan '10) Jan '10 johnny 2
More from around the web