Family Files Suit After Man Dies afte...

Family Files Suit After Man Dies after Shot by Taser - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sport...

There are 38 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Oct 26, 2011, titled Family Files Suit After Man Dies after Shot by Taser - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sport.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The family of an Appomattox County man who died after being shot by a Taser has filed a multimillion-dollar negligence lawsuit against the county and a sheriff's deputy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CvilleGordo

Bassett, VA

#23 Oct 27, 2011
lots of stuff wrote:
<quoted text>Thats why cops carry around throw away guns, in case they "accidentally" shot someone.
You've been reading too many Joseph Wambaugh novels. Not that I haven't read them all, twice.
true

Crozet, VA

#24 Oct 27, 2011
Guardian wrote:
I hope this family win a huge settlement, and sends yet another message to those departments that think a taser is a come along device to be used whenever they feel inclined. The weapon is meant to be used in cases when firearms are the only other alternative and warranted. It was never intended to be used as it is being used today. If the circumstances don't warrant being shot with a firearm, it doesn't warrant being shot with a taser which has by some reports already killed an estimated 700 human beings since being implemented as a less lethal component in Law Enforcement's arsenal.
BS! no officer should have to struggle or fight when making a arrest. You either go willfully or you go another way, why should officers have to take a chance on there own lives just because some ahole wont go without a fight.Those officers have a right to go home every day rather than not make it because some dipsh^t trys to resist.
true

Crozet, VA

#25 Oct 27, 2011
Equalizer76 wrote:
This weapon is issued to Officers for their use on anyone they feel threatened by. You see a Officer who is a chicken---- hidding behind the power of his Badge afraid of his shadow eager to use it on anyone who crosses his path. Past years most departments hired able body men who can handle themselves in most every situation. Today its a open field.....
Yey, you do have a point, you do see some nerdy barny fife looking ones and wonder why
Guardian

Stuart, VA

#26 Oct 27, 2011
true wrote:
<quoted text>
BS! no officer should have to struggle or fight when making a arrest. You either go willfully or you go another way, why should officers have to take a chance on there own lives just because some **** wont go without a fight.Those officers have a right to go home every day rather than not make it because some dipsh^t trys to resist.
People also have a right to not be murdered by the police. I'll make the same statement that I made when the local cop hit the guy in the wheelchair while in a crosswalk. "It's only a matter of how much, not if there will be a payout." If a cop is afraid to go hands on with anybody, he/she should turn in their badge and find another form of employment.
Guardian

Stuart, VA

#27 Oct 27, 2011
One part of the suit asks for $15 million and legal fees, accusing Wright and the County of violating Russell’s Constitutional Rights, including subjecting him to unreasonable force and “condoning and encouraging deputies in the belief that they can violate the rights of persons … and that such conduct will not adversely affect their opportunities for promotion and other employment benefits.”
true

Crozet, VA

#28 Oct 28, 2011
Guardian wrote:
<quoted text>
People also have a right to not be murdered by the police. I'll make the same statement that I made when the local cop hit the guy in the wheelchair while in a crosswalk. "It's only a matter of how much, not if there will be a payout." If a cop is afraid to go hands on with anybody, he/she should turn in their badge and find another form of employment.
So your saying unless they can beat other people up they shouldnt be cops, if thats the case what are woman doing out there, I seen a female cop get beat almost to death. Yes they do have to go hands on at times and to make things safer they invented tazers
true

Crozet, VA

#29 Oct 28, 2011
Speaking of rights im more concerned with the TSA violating rights every day.
And good little sheeple bending over and saying yesem
Guardian

Stuart, VA

#30 Oct 28, 2011
true wrote:
<quoted text>
So your saying unless they can beat other people up they shouldnt be cops, if thats the case what are woman doing out there, I seen a female cop get beat almost to death. Yes they do have to go hands on at times and to make things safer they invented tazers
I'm saying if you are afraid of placing your hands on someone and putting them under arrest, then you have no place in the profession. If a women wants to act like a man, then she has to assume she will be treated like a man. Tasers have been used on pregnant women, school children, handicapped, and the elderly. The fact is that these tasers have killed many who never should have been tasered in the 1st place, but because the officer could, they did and killed a person. The Federal government will eventually remove tasers when the truth is made known of the actual number of deaths, actual circumstances of their deaths, the level of cover up of these facts by the manufacturers of these weapons, not to mention the amounts paid out to settle these growing wrongful death lawsuits.
true

Crozet, VA

#31 Oct 29, 2011
Guardian wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm saying if you are afraid of placing your hands on someone and putting them under arrest, then you have no place in the profession. If a women wants to act like a man, then she has to assume she will be treated like a man. Tasers have been used on pregnant women, school children, handicapped, and the elderly. The fact is that these tasers have killed many who never should have been tasered in the 1st place, but because the officer could, they did and killed a person. The Federal government will eventually remove tasers when the truth is made known of the actual number of deaths, actual circumstances of their deaths, the level of cover up of these facts by the manufacturers of these weapons, not to mention the amounts paid out to settle these growing wrongful death lawsuits.
The fed government is all for surfdom and wants americans to act like good little slaves, dont expect much out of them
DirtKicker

Hiram, GA

#32 Oct 30, 2011
Ahhh yes, no more takers. The police should instead escalate to shooting them with bullets.
DirtKicker

Hiram, GA

#33 Oct 30, 2011
Meant to say Tasers.
CvilleGordo

Bassett, VA

#34 Oct 30, 2011
true wrote:
<quoted text>
Yey, you do have a point, you do see some nerdy barny fife looking ones and wonder why
I know a few nerdy Barney Fife-looking officers who can whup some a*s*s when the situation requires.
true

Crozet, VA

#35 Oct 31, 2011
CvilleGordo wrote:
<quoted text>
I know a few nerdy Barney Fife-looking officers who can whup some *****s when the situation requires.
LOl, Ive seen that too. never know who you messing with
well-

United States

#36 Oct 31, 2011
TEX wrote:
We all knew that this Was going to happen someday, somewhere. To me it is the application of unnecessary force. Since the medical condition of the tasee is unknown at the time This method should ONLY be used if the officers life is in danger. it's the same as chasing a suspect through traffic After his vehicle is identified endangering all others on the road
Well Tex, the thing is, if the guy had stoped & been compliant with the law officers, they'd never had to tase him in the first place, now would they?
well-

United States

#37 Oct 31, 2011
Related wrote:
<quoted text> The family is not a welfare family at all. But have however lost almost everything due to relocation to be close to medical care and huge medical expenses. I do not know the details of that night, but I know that he left behind a wife and sons that adore him and to whom he was the primarly wage earner. I beleive there is some merit to this suit and I do hope the family can at least get from it what they need to have a life for themselves. This is a tragic and sad situation.
so just what was he doing in the first place that had the cops arrest him? Domestic violence? Against whom? the wife & kids who "adored" him? hmmmmm Just wondering...two sides to every coin. Who called the cops to begin with?
well-

United States

#38 Oct 31, 2011
Guardian wrote:
<quoted text>
do you know how absolutely idiotic you sound? we do...
ABC

Charlottesville, VA

#39 Oct 31, 2011
Family wrote:
<quoted text>
Then, why did they call police for "domestic issue"?
Because the police had to be called for a domestic dispute, the family is on welfare? That is an ignorant statement. Domestic violence knows no demographics, income level or race.
Guardian

Stuart, VA

#41 Oct 31, 2011
well- wrote:
<quoted text>
do you know how absolutely idiotic you sound? we do...
You were probably one of those morons defending the thin blue lie, that ran into the wheelchair bound man in the crosswalk, Well like I said then, it will only be a matter of How Much, not if ? You just can't stand it when I'm right, and you and your dim witted forum friends are soooooo wrong, sooooooo often, it's downright funny.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Appomattox County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3 Crosses Survive Deadly Tornado In Virginia (Feb '16) Mar '16 DILF 6
Small animal swap!! (Sep '13) Sep '13 one 1
Has a black person every held office in Appomat... (Jun '12) Jun '12 dixielandgirl 1
News Speight Indicted on Murder Charges (Apr '10) Apr '10 BOB 2
News State Trooper Nominated for All-Star Award - wtvr (Feb '10) Feb '10 Tom 3
News Virginia is for Shooters (Jan '10) Jan '10 RustyS 4
News Night-vision equipment, weapons, ammunition, bo... (Jan '10) Jan '10 johnny 2
More from around the web