Virginia Farmers Protest New Regulations

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

It was an emotional plea Wednesday from Virginia's farmers who are upset about proposed environmental restrictions being considered in Washington.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Lou

Chesterfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2009

Judged:

Run-off from lawn fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides from residential houses in the Chesapeake Bay watershed harm the bay more than farmers.Perhaps they should ban homes and businesses from treating their lawns as well.Farming is much more important than having pretty grass. Just ride along our waterways and see how millon dollar homes have lawns right up to the water's edge. As well, you only need to look at the difference between the Chickahominy River and the James River to see the impact of having wetlands and buffers that filter pollutants. This works. The Chick is prestine compared to the James because of the wetlands that surround it. Most farmers already have buffers. Homeowners should have them as well.
GoUVa

Culpeper, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2009

Judged:

I think they should take some of the BS from Congress and spread that on the farm land. The sad thing is that, unfortunately, there is enough BS in DC to fertilize the world. Problem is, the world is tired of our BS.
julie t

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2009

Judged:

It is a well known scientific fact (see the EPA's TMDL allocation report for one of many sources of that support this) that agriculture contributes more nutrients and sediment to the Bay than any other source. I'm not saying that farms should be more heavily regulated... I don't think they should. But to claim that runoff from homes does more harm to the Bay than farms is not accurate. Regulating local farms more heavily will put farmers out of business and push up the price of local food. So we'll then buy the unregulated cheaper food shipped from South America. Sounds pretty shortsighted to me!
livestock producer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2009

Judged:

Over the years I have watched Happy Harry Home Owner pour copious amounts of fertilized, pesticides and herbicides on there lawns with NO regard as to the correct usage or the environment. Most all farmers I know take soil samples or consult appropriate experts prior to application of these items since the cost is high. I guarantee any study done will show a higher concentration of these items per acre on lawns than fields (most likely in excess of recommended levels.

Farmers are already busy protecting the environment and there are federal programs which are voluntarily participated by many farmers. They include waste water run prevention as one major one (to control animal waste run off). However regulations are becoming very strict. New regulations for application of composed animal waste require a buffer between all applications and tributaries of the Bay. This buffer significantly effects the lands production.

With all of these programs and regulations I hope the consumer will be willing to pay the price for safely grown US produced products while the rest of the world destroys their water.
purgeperrillo

Aroda, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2009

Judged:

This is periellos clean water act at work
livestock producer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2009

Judged:

purgeperrillo wrote:
This is periellos clean water act at work
This started years before Periello. Remember the "save the Bay" bumper stickers? The proposed regulations way back in the 1980's were far more stringent and would have completely put Virginia out of the farming business.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Amelia County Discussions

Search the Amelia County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Accused Drunk Driver Leads Police on Wild Polic... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Powhatan reader 1
Restaurant Shooting: Amelia Man Shot - wtvr (Apr '10) Sep '10 mikeblevs 29
Ulisa Chavers: Louisa Co. woman charged in the ... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Abby 8
Family of murder victim to meet with Richmond S... (Jan '10) Aug '10 Jeannie Leber 5
New Amelia County Forum (Feb '10) Jun '10 Ameliapatriot 2
Family of Colonial Parkway murder victim to mee... (Apr '10) Apr '10 Cynthia Phelps-Hammonds 1
Family of Colonial Parkway murder victim to mee... (Apr '10) Apr '10 Cynthia Phelps-Hammonds 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••