Albemarle Pushes for Ambulance Billin...

Albemarle Pushes for Ambulance Billing - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

There are 56 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Mar 29, 2012, titled Albemarle Pushes for Ambulance Billing - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Albemarle Rescue Squad says it's being pressured to bill for ambulance service. Albemarle County supervisors are moving forward in the coming budget as if both the CARS and the Western Albemarle Rescue Squad will bill for services.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
unknown

Crozet, VA

#1 Mar 29, 2012
as me being a volunteer in albemarle county. I think that this is crazy! billing for services will mean that volunteer staions will lose there donations due to services being billed. This will hurt the companys greatly.
Hehe

Midlothian, VA

#2 Mar 29, 2012
If they won't bill, just build fire-rescue stations around it and they over their response area!
Toy Box Command

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Mar 29, 2012
Life was good while real estate assessments were going up 10% to 15% every year, and the county had plenty of revenue coming in. The county became accustomed to unlimited spending. But now they are searching every nook and cranny for revenue so they don't have to make any cuts. I hope the fine staff at CARS sticks to their guns and tells the county to go eff themselves.
Central VA Marine

Palmyra, VA

#4 Mar 29, 2012
Ken Boyd of the "No new tax T-Bag" clan wants to add a new tax on the Citizens of Albemarle County. A new tax on the sick and injured. Ken, what happens if they can't pay this "Transportation Tax"? Leave them to die on the side of the road?

Oh, wait. You will bill the Insurance Companies. Are these companies not gouging us enough without you adding a new tax on the Citizens, that the Companies will increase our rates to cover. You want to explain yourself, or will you hide in the blizzard of the "Snow" boy.

For years, I and my family have supported CARS in every way possible. We, as with most native and long time citizens are proud of the members dedication. They are the elite of our community. It was evident when the county got into the ambulance business that the goal was to push out these volunteer heros. Well I for one will not only fight you verbally, but also at the polls. Ken, go home. We don't need your kind around here.

STOP THE WAR ON WOMEN!
DON'T VOTE FOR GEORGE MACACA.

more to come

Pat

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Mar 29, 2012
Guess I should stop donating if they will charge me anyway.
EMT

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Mar 29, 2012
The agency wouldn't even see any of this money that the county wants. The county wants it because they see dollar signs. CARS raises practically all of its funds through donations and grants. If funding does come from the county then it's a laughable amount -that's why it survives on its own. Remember that CARS was here first; a free service to the community to people who are experiencing one of the worst days of their lives. CARS has been around since 1958 and has always been a volunteer service.

I'd even go so far as to say it's a political stunt, like the last attempt to put all rescue agencies under the command of the county fire chief. If that was the case then they'd have to bill if they were ordered. Politics have no place in this type of work -not in Charlottesville or Albemarle county.
Albemarle citizen

Johnson City, TN

#7 Mar 29, 2012
Pat wrote:
Guess I should stop donating if they will charge me anyway.
Did you read the article? The chief at CARS said they WILL NOT bill.
Toy Box Command

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Mar 29, 2012
EMT wrote:
.... like the last attempt to put all rescue agencies under the command of the county fire chief.
I think the last attempt involved City Fire Chief Taliaferro.

That effort failed miserably, maybe this new one will too.

CARS is doing just fine as a volunteer organization with their truly dedicated and trained staff, they do not need government intervention.
Leigh

Keswick, VA

#9 Mar 29, 2012
I needed help last year and called 911. I hesitated because I lived in the Hollymead area and knew I would have to pay to have help. The bill came to almost $500 which I do not have and because I have a high deductible plan, my insurance will not pay. I still owe for this. I have now moved and hopefully if I need help again I will have CAARS to help. They are a great organization and I hope the county will leave them alone.
Whatever

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Mar 29, 2012
Ken Boyd said he hopes CARS comes into this willingly. What Ken, is that a threat? Play our rules or we are going to get you! Sounds like a threat to me. Hands off CARS Albemarle Co. You've taken over all the fire services and strangled more money out of citizens. CARS has a standard of excellence in serving the public and it is a private organization. How dare you Albemarle Co. bully these people!
haha

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Mar 29, 2012
If they charge, I'll drive my own car to the hospital. Does the county really want money this bad? Donations will not be sent anyway because of the last election all the fire and rescue stations were backing odummer.
Xvol

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Mar 29, 2012
CARS hasn't been all volunteer since 2006. The County staffs two medics Monday through Friday 6AM to 6PM. That's twelve hours of career supplemented staffing that is back filled by the other 2 career medic ambulance transport services that already bill your insurance company, that most likely you have already paid for through your coverage. If you don't have insurance there is a number on their pamphlet to where you can claim time of hardship. So before you hold off on calling 911 because your worried about the bill, think again because you probably already paid for it. And if a CARS truck shows up and you are a tax paying citizen of Albemarle, news flash, your paying for it too seeing how the County funds $170,000 annually, and owns and purchases four of the career supplemented once all volunteer agency ambulances and other apparatus.
Localview9

Brandywine, MD

#13 Mar 29, 2012
Xvol wrote:
CARS hasn't been all volunteer since 2006. The County staffs two medics Monday through Friday 6AM to 6PM. That's twelve hours of career supplemented staffing that is back filled by the other 2 career medic ambulance transport services that already bill your insurance company, that most likely you have already paid for through your coverage. If you don't have insurance there is a number on their pamphlet to where you can claim time of hardship. So before you hold off on calling 911 because your worried about the bill, think again because you probably already paid for it. And if a CARS truck shows up and you are a tax paying citizen of Albemarle, news flash, your paying for it too seeing how the County funds $170,000 annually, and owns and purchases four of the career supplemented once all volunteer agency ambulances and other apparatus.
You are correct that there has been 2 county supplied medics on CARS ambulances since 2006. This was started as a favor to the county to allow medics of the Albemarle County Fire Dept. to gain experience instead of traveling to Chesterfield to get ride time. The county provides assistance to ALL of the volunteer agencies which CARS gets about 170K per year. BUT CARS amount gets REDUCED by the number of calls the county medics run calls in the city. CARS as an agency does not bill. NO billing can be done from any call run from CARS ambulances, regardless if there is a paid county employee or a volunteer on that ambulance. The County of Albemarle does not own any CARS ambulance or part of any. When you count up all the calls for service, CARS ambulances with either paid staff or volunteer provides over 70 percent of the total service to Albemarle County. For the Board of Supervisors, its about money, and if you could generate 70 percent or better billing, you want to grab all the money you can.
Whoa Stop the Clock

Waynesboro, VA

#14 Mar 29, 2012
Good luck collecting if the person billed didn't call.
reality bites

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Mar 29, 2012
Here we go again. gimme gimme gimme. Sorry, the guy that lives on Caroline Ave is the best excuse I know not to donate to this. He has his own rescue CAR that sits in his driveway all the time. That tells me there's just too much money floating around.
Citizen_21

Atlanta, GA

#16 Mar 29, 2012
Localview9 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct that there has been 2 county supplied medics on CARS ambulances since 2006. This was started as a favor to the county to allow medics of the Albemarle County Fire Dept. to gain experience instead of traveling to Chesterfield to get ride time. The county provides assistance to ALL of the volunteer agencies which CARS gets about 170K per year. BUT CARS amount gets REDUCED by the number of calls the county medics run calls in the city. CARS as an agency does not bill. NO billing can be done from any call run from CARS ambulances, regardless if there is a paid county employee or a volunteer on that ambulance. The County of Albemarle does not own any CARS ambulance or part of any. When you count up all the calls for service, CARS ambulances with either paid staff or volunteer provides over 70 percent of the total service to Albemarle County. For the Board of Supervisors, its about money, and if you could generate 70 percent or better billing, you want to grab all the money you can.
Really you are doing the county a favor by letting there paid medics cover your station... Do you really think C.A.R.S. could cover all their calls during the day time with just the volly's. I have lost count on how many times I hear over the scanner "Rescue 1 you have an empty building and call pending" As far as the billing recovery goes half the people posting on here have no idea how it works. If you have insurance it will cover it.. UVA Medical Insurance covers it 100% as long as it was medically necessary. If you do not have insurance tell the county you will not pay, Your insurance only cover $250.00 of the $500.00 transport tell the county you will not have to pay the difference. The truth of the matter is that if the county pulled their paid medics out Mon-Fri, took away any and all funding. C.A.R.S. could never survive on their manpower and donations alone. Finally as far as not getting any of the recovery money from billing the C.A.R.S. would need to negotiate how much they would get out of it. If C.A.R.S. doesn't go to billing recovery it is only a matter of time before they only do calls in Charlottesville. Ivy station is opening soon and I am sure a Pantops station is not to far off. C.A.R.S. Good luck making it with all the money that Charlottesville is "not" giving you.
praise the lord

Harrisonburg, VA

#17 Mar 29, 2012
screw these scum...This is an outrage. A county that can not even supply basic ambulance service without billing the victims is just pitiful..and while operating volunteers to boot. WOW...
EMT

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Mar 29, 2012
Citizen_21 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have lost count on how many times I hear over the scanner "Rescue 1 you have an empty building and call pending"...
>2012
>Listens to 800 system on scanner
>Knows everything about Rescue 1

You crack me up, sir.
Coach

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Mar 29, 2012
Citizen_21 wrote:
<quoted text>
Really you are doing the county a favor by letting there paid medics cover your station... Do you really think C.A.R.S. could cover all their calls during the day time with just the volly's. I have lost count on how many times I hear over the scanner "Rescue 1 you have an empty building and call pending" As far as the billing recovery goes half the people posting on here have no idea how it works. If you have insurance it will cover it.. UVA Medical Insurance covers it 100% as long as it was medically necessary. If you do not have insurance tell the county you will not pay, Your insurance only cover $250.00 of the $500.00 transport tell the county you will not have to pay the difference. The truth of the matter is that if the county pulled their paid medics out Mon-Fri, took away any and all funding. C.A.R.S. could never survive on their manpower and donations alone. Finally as far as not getting any of the recovery money from billing the C.A.R.S. would need to negotiate how much they would get out of it. If C.A.R.S. doesn't go to billing recovery it is only a matter of time before they only do calls in Charlottesville. Ivy station is opening soon and I am sure a Pantops station is not to far off. C.A.R.S. Good luck making it with all the money that Charlottesville is "not" giving you.
You're absolutely right. If the county pulled its financial support, CARS could not afford to cover the county and would have to limit its coverage to the city and UVA. Since CARS currently runs about 85% of the calls in the county, that would mean the county's call volume would increase by a factor of five overnight. There's no way they could handle a surge like that, and even if they could it would mean buying and staffing at least four additional ambulances. Since it takes five people to staff a truck 24/7, that would mean hiring 20 new county employees plus two or so people to supervise them. At $50,000 a pop, that translates into an increased burden on taxpayers of $1.1 million. Throw in another $150,000 annually for operating expenses and the cost grows to $1.25 million annually. Then add $700,000 up front to buy the ambulances and another million or more for the buildings to house them and you're talking about real money. CARS is currently doing all of this work for $170,000 annually, plus two medics. Seems like an incredibly attractive deal to me, and it's not at all clear why the county supervisors seem so bent on moving away from it.

Granted some of the above cost would be recouped by billing. The last time I checked, though, insurance companies not only recover their costs in premiums, they tack on another 50% or so to account for profit and overhead. Don't kid yourself ... any money the insurance companies send to Albemarle County will ultimately be reflected back onto their policy holders, and then some, in the form of increased premiums. And while I doubt that payroll deductions for Medicare will increase when little old Albemarle County starts billing the government for transports, all reimbursements will increase the national debt dollar for dollar. I thought that most of the current county supervisors railed against doing that during their campaigns, so I don't understand why they would turn around and take actions that do just the thing they objected to once they're in office. Unless they're hypocrites, that is.
Great

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Mar 29, 2012
reality bites wrote:
Here we go again. gimme gimme gimme. Sorry, the guy that lives on Caroline Ave is the best excuse I know not to donate to this. He has his own rescue CAR that sits in his driveway all the time. That tells me there's just too much money floating around.
Can you not read? This has nothing to do with donations.

Second, my guess is you are ill-informed individual who knows nothing about the fine Rescue Squad your community has. Why don't you call up the Rescue Squad and ask them to show your their "AMAZING" fleet as you envisioned it and ask them why CARS vehicles are situated in front of certain homes.

My money is on if that car is situated and not moving, it is probably a good thing because it means there hasn't been a major vehicle crash that require extraction or something other important.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albemarle County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Virginia Medicaid Expansion Mar '16 Patient X 1
News Albemarle May Soon Have More Panhandling (Oct '15) Feb '16 screwem 5
News Partnership to Help More Area Kids (Sep '15) Sep '15 Taysha 1
Regal Theatres Against Military (May '15) May '15 Regal Against Mil... 1
News Berry Receives 29 Years For Robberies (Jul '10) Mar '15 GodCanJudgeNotYou 19
News Suspect in U.Va. murder case to appear in court (Feb '15) Feb '15 Paul 1
News Charlottesville population has increased by ten... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Terradive 1
More from around the web