FEMA Pushes For More Albemarle Aid - ...

FEMA Pushes For More Albemarle Aid - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

There are 7 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Feb 13, 2012, titled FEMA Pushes For More Albemarle Aid - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The Federal Emergency Management Agency stopped by Albemarle County Monday night to talk to neighbors about disaster aid.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

heh

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Feb 14, 2012
Seems like an example of big government trying a little too hard to give taxpayer money away.
Barney Fife

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Feb 14, 2012
This sounds like FEMA is begging for people to be money leeches. As far as I know, no one's house collapsed nor was there any injuries.

FEMA needs to be renamed FMA (Free Money Anyone?)
Sarg

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Feb 14, 2012
I believe FEMA is talking about low-interest loans here, not outright grants.
But that aside, homeowners should think about whether it is wise to have your house on record as having been earthquake-damaged. Is that going to help with resale value? It might be better to absorb the repair cost yourself,which in most cases won't be that much anyway.(If there is no other way, get the FEMA loan.)
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Feb 14, 2012
Seems to mention 'grants'
http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema...

"Individual Assistance for homeowners and renters can include grants to help pay for temporary housing, home repairs and other disaster-related expenses not met by insurance or other assistance programs. "

But not sure if that's actually the case in practice.

Makes sense about the resale value however, unless you can somehow prove damage has been repaired.
T-Money

Verona, VA

#5 Feb 14, 2012
Barney Fife wrote:
This sounds like FEMA is begging for people to be money leeches. As far as I know, no one's house collapsed nor was there any injuries.
FEMA needs to be renamed FMA (Free Money Anyone?)
No one's house collapsed however, there were some that were knocked off the foundations and severely damaged. Major foundation damage, drywall damage, chimney's collapsing... Nevermind the major damage to the schools. Do some homework will ya...
Rogue Rider

Ocala, FL

#6 Feb 15, 2012
I've got family in Vermont that lost everything in the flooding last August. FEMA is not there begging to give money. If anything they have been forgotten.
Bill Doran

Duluth, GA

#7 Feb 17, 2012
The good news is FEMA is getting ready to leave Virginia this month. Although they have helped the communities that were affected their Equal Employment Opportunity(EEO)practices violate federal laws. Being a federal agency they can pretty much do what they want and their procedures can take 2-3 years to resolve.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albemarle County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ragged Mountain Dam Lawsuit Filed - NBC29 WVIR ... (Mar '12) Jul 12 K curra 43
Bus Drivers Not Respected Jun '17 Bus Drivers Not R... 1
Virginia Medicaid Expansion (Mar '16) Mar '16 Patient X 1
News Albemarle May Soon Have More Panhandling (Oct '15) Feb '16 screwem 5
News Partnership to Help More Area Kids (Sep '15) Sep '15 Taysha 1
Regal Theatres Against Military (May '15) May '15 Regal Against Mil... 1
News Berry Receives 29 Years For Robberies (Jul '10) Mar '15 GodCanJudgeNotYou 19
More from around the web