Albemarle BOS Tackles VRS Funding Iss...

Albemarle BOS Tackles VRS Funding Issue - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

There are 3 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from May 9, 2012, titled Albemarle BOS Tackles VRS Funding Issue - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The Albemarle County Board of Supervisors is tackling a tough budget issue: deciding how to pay for employee retirement funds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Josiah Quincy

Rocky Mount, VA

#1 May 9, 2012
The solution is quite simple; oddly, the county solons have not considered it: the county employees, who are already guaranteed pension and healthcare benefits for life, ought contribute the 5 percent -- just like all of those in the "private sector" must do, via the 401(k). Make them responsible for 5 percent of their own retirement contribution, as the taxpayers subsidize the remaining 95 percent toward their comfortable retirement.

Is that so much to ask ? No.
Quincy is wrong

Troutville, VA

#2 May 9, 2012
So let me get this straight Quincy.

The same employees that are handling County Government affairs in 2012 at 1980's staffing levels. The same employees that have hand NO raise for 4 years and have absorbed the workload of positions that still go unfilled and frozen as their co workers leave and go into the private sector for... better benefits and pay. Yet you likely expect to have assistance when you need your child to have a great school... or a police officer or firefighter to respond to your home.

As for benefits for life? You should really study a topic before you comment on it. Benefits stop at retirement. Anyone willing to work for the government these days are either invested to far to turn back now... or really wanting to make a difference in the community. I say give them the 5 % plus anything else we can afford. As for the real issue which is the State government... Bob McDonald is an idiot and will never receive a vote from me again. He has slammed localities with overwhelming burdens due to bad government.
Quincy is wrong

Troutville, VA

#3 May 9, 2012
*McDonell

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albemarle County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Virginia Medicaid Expansion Mar '16 Patient X 1
News Albemarle May Soon Have More Panhandling (Oct '15) Feb '16 screwem 5
News Partnership to Help More Area Kids (Sep '15) Sep '15 Taysha 1
Regal Theatres Against Military (May '15) May '15 Regal Against Mil... 1
News Berry Receives 29 Years For Robberies (Jul '10) Mar '15 GodCanJudgeNotYou 19
News Suspect in U.Va. murder case to appear in court (Feb '15) Feb '15 Paul 1
News Charlottesville population has increased by ten... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Terradive 1
More from around the web