Teachers Wear Black in Protest of Sta...

Teachers Wear Black in Protest of State Budget Cuts - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports...

There are 104 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Feb 17, 2012, titled Teachers Wear Black in Protest of State Budget Cuts - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Despite promises of extra cash, many educators in Albemarle County and across the state made a fashion statement Friday to protest funding cuts by the commonwealth.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Noneya

Staunton, VA

#101 Feb 25, 2012
It's a free Country. No teacher is being forced to teach. Those who are so severely unhappy (as evidenced here) should simply quit.

We don't need that kind of negativity wearing off on our kids anyway.
Dude

Spotsylvania, VA

#102 Feb 25, 2012
Noneya wrote:
It's a free Country. No teacher is being forced to teach. Those who are so severely unhappy (as evidenced here) should simply quit.
We don't need that kind of negativity wearing off on our kids anyway.
Are you saying that teachers that are unhappy should quit? It's funny that you mention that in the midst of a teacher shortage, that is exactly what is happening.

http://nsea.org/policy/salaries/index.htm

and I quote:

"•In a typical year, an estimated 6 percent of the nation's teaching force leaves the profession and more than 7 percent change schools.

Source: National Center for Education Statistics

•Twenty percent of all new hires leave teaching within three years.

Source: National Center for Education Statistics

•In urban districts, close to 50 percent of newcomers flee the profession during their first five years of teaching."

~At least 6 percent of new teachers don't return to their profession after the first year

~At least 20 percent of new teachers don't return to their profession after the third year

~At least 50 percent of new teachers don't return to their profession after 5 years.

That is a 50% attrition rate after 5 years. That is worse than officers in the military. People would actually rather go to war than teach. I'll let you in on something, too. Their pay is better in the military, their benefits are better, and their pension is WAY better. On top of that, the military will pay for your college instead of getting stuck with student loans.

If you think it's such a great career, perhaps you should look into it.
Ryan

Falls Church, VA

#103 Feb 25, 2012
I would rather teachers wear black. It hides the fat better.
JTM

Charlottesville, VA

#104 Feb 25, 2012
As I See It wrote:
If you want more money, be willing to work a whole day, not just until 2. If you want more money, be willing to work a whole year, not just 8 months. If you want more money, get all your kids to pass the state test, not just 40%.
If you worked for me, I would have fired all of you!
How about you check your facts. There is not a teacher in the state who gets out of work at 2. Of course, I'm kicking myself for even taking the time to point this out to you. You don't have a single fact to back up anything you're spouting off. I doubt you even care.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albemarle County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Virginia Medicaid Expansion (Mar '16) Mar '16 Patient X 1
News Albemarle May Soon Have More Panhandling (Oct '15) Feb '16 screwem 5
News Partnership to Help More Area Kids (Sep '15) Sep '15 Taysha 1
Regal Theatres Against Military (May '15) May '15 Regal Against Mil... 1
News Berry Receives 29 Years For Robberies (Jul '10) Mar '15 GodCanJudgeNotYou 19
News Suspect in U.Va. murder case to appear in court (Feb '15) Feb '15 Paul 1
News Charlottesville population has increased by ten... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Terradive 1
More from around the web