Wounded Warriors Take to the Outdoors...

Wounded Warriors Take to the Outdoors on a Pheasant Hunt - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, S...

There are 22 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Mar 3, 2012, titled Wounded Warriors Take to the Outdoors on a Pheasant Hunt - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, S.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Soldiers injured while serving our country got the chance to enjoy a pheasant hunt in Albemarle County Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
alabamamom

Dothan, AL

#1 Mar 3, 2012
That was a wonderful event for our wounded soldiers held by the Virginia Sportsman Foundation on Saturday . Looks like great fun & fellowship .
internets

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Mar 4, 2012
Guns and killing is a great way to become "adjusted to life back in the states".
CvilleGordo

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Mar 4, 2012
internets wrote:
Guns and killing is a great way to become "adjusted to life back in the states".
Yes, pheasant hunting should be exclusively practiced by the landed gentry.
sez me

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Mar 4, 2012
I used to pheasant hunt in Wisconsin when I was a kid, this is not how you pheasant hunt, This is how you target practice. Please, nothing here but putting a gun back in the hands of a person trained to kill.
citizen

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Mar 4, 2012
sez me wrote:
I used to pheasant hunt in Wisconsin when I was a kid, this is not how you pheasant hunt, This is how you target practice. Please, nothing here but putting a gun back in the hands of a person trained to kill.
The only killers anybody in this thread need to worry about drive SUVs and Escalades with huge chrome wheels during the early morning hours as they make their UVA deliveries.
citizen

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Mar 4, 2012
I left out the triple tinted windows-----sorry.
Broke

Altavista, VA

#7 Mar 4, 2012
Our soldiers need time to decompress from being moving targets themselves. They have paid thier price for you to make your comments. My friend when he returned from Iraq was hypervigilent. He could not go out into crowds for fear of being shot or blown up from a bomber. Our soldiers come from a combat zone and their mental faculties are still in a combat zone, tuned into surviving another day. When you move them into a non combat zone such as home they still have not gotten rid of that combat anxietey. It takes a long while to get over that feeling of being a target. Our soldiers need more than negative scoffing.
US Citizen

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Mar 4, 2012
Thank you to the members of the Virginia Sportsman Foundation and the volunteers for spending a day with OUR soldiers.

What did YOU do to show your support for the soldiers defending YOUR freedom? Think about it.
sparks

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Mar 4, 2012
internets wrote:
why don't you ante up and become soldier and see what it's about?
sez me

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Mar 4, 2012
In truth its to bad these guys were put in harms way. But they asked for it. Careful what you ask for. The tragedy is they never should of been there to begin with. I paid my dues during Viet Nam and we should never have been there either so I can speak what I may. The real crime is allowing our corrupt government engage nation building all the while handing out billions in DOD contracts, thats what this is really about. Do any of you know that we finance a private army that as large as the one in uniform? Probably not. And how much do think that costs?
TL in Cville

Ferrum, VA

#11 Mar 4, 2012
Broke wrote:
Our soldiers need time to decompress from being moving targets themselves. They have paid thier price for you to make your comments. My friend when he returned from Iraq was hypervigilent. He could not go out into crowds for fear of being shot or blown up from a bomber. Our soldiers come from a combat zone and their mental faculties are still in a combat zone, tuned into surviving another day. When you move them into a non combat zone such as home they still have not gotten rid of that combat anxietey. It takes a long while to get over that feeling of being a target. Our soldiers need more than negative scoffing.
Our warriors do need more then negative scoffing. This Pheasant Hunt is a wonderful way for them to get back into the sportsman life (or start into the sportsman life), why fault them for that. I think the Hunt Club and Foundation are doing a wonderful thing for our wounded warriors and hope other groups will find ways to help our brave young men and women.
TL in Cville

Ferrum, VA

#12 Mar 4, 2012
sez me wrote:
In truth its to bad these guys were put in harms way. But they asked for it. Careful what you ask for. The tragedy is they never should of been there to begin with. I paid my dues during Viet Nam and we should never have been there either so I can speak what I may. The real crime is allowing our corrupt government engage nation building all the while handing out billions in DOD contracts, thats what this is really about. Do any of you know that we finance a private army that as large as the one in uniform? Probably not. And how much do think that costs?
We have a private army? Why would our children VOLUNTEER during a time of war if they could go out and get a job with a PRIVATE ARMY and make money instead? Please elaborate on your statements!
JTM

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Mar 4, 2012
sez me wrote:
You paid your dues during Vietnam? I never realized running to Canada qualified as paying your dues. If you had enough coin, you could have run to England with Bill Clinton or the National Guard with George W. Bush.
i like spam

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Mar 4, 2012
private army? and i thought my tax dollars were paying corrupt government officials to do as they please. what does a private army soldier look like? the terminator? x-men? john wayne? elvis?

p.s. thank your for your service during the vietnam war.
oh yeh

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Mar 4, 2012
i like spam wrote:
private army? and i thought my tax dollars were paying corrupt government officials to do as they please. what does a private army soldier look like? the terminator? x-men? john wayne? elvis?
p.s. thank your for your service during the vietnam war.
They spend their time protecting officials, contractors, and private ventures in country. The pay is good. Your average GI makes about 20,000/yr. Upon discharge they take off the uniform, put the guns back on and make 80,000/yr. The best part? If they stay in country for more than a year their income is tax free. Look it up. There are as many of them running around in country as our soldiers. Its a good gig but we the tax payers are getting royally frucked.
Jonas pepper

United States

#16 Mar 4, 2012
internets wrote:
Obviously you have never been hunting and know nothing about the storts afield. The preparation, the focus the mental thought and patience required to hunt be it phesent or deere are exciting but also relaxing unlike many other activities.

Often when ask if I hunt I reply with a "No; I just go for a walk in the woods" unfortunately many of our wounded soldiers are not able to walk as of yet. Hopefully these activities will give them the courage to continue a normal life after being put through every thing they have experienced that got them in the condition they are in.

To these couragious troops thank you for your service and sacrifices in that one day we all will be rewarded by the painful price that only you may understand.
oh yeh

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Mar 4, 2012
JTM wrote:
<quoted text>
You paid your dues during Vietnam? I never realized running to Canada qualified as paying your dues. If you had enough coin, you could have run to England with Bill Clinton or the National Guard with George W. Bush.
Not that you morons care but I gots my DD214 with medals to boot, what did you do besides cry to mom for a teet.
CvilleGordo

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Mar 4, 2012
oh yeh wrote:
<quoted text>They spend their time protecting officials, contractors, and private ventures in country. The pay is good. Your average GI makes about 20,000/yr. Upon discharge they take off the uniform, put the guns back on and make 80,000/yr. The best part? If they stay in country for more than a year their income is tax free. Look it up. There are as many of them running around in country as our soldiers. Its a good gig but we the tax payers are getting royally frucked.
20,000 a year? Well, let's see, I took your advice and looked it up, since the pay has gotten better since I got out. For an E-4 Servicemember with Three Years of Military Service: 2012 Annual Regular Military Compensation (RMC)- first number is individual, second is with family of four.

Basic Pay

$25,884

$25,884

BAS (Basic Allowance for Subsistence)

$4,181

$4,181

BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing)

$11,748

$14,808

Cash Total

$41,813

$44,873

Tax Advantage

$4,073

$4,073

Regular Military Compensation

$45,972

$48,946

But hold the tofuburger. Additionally, the servicvemember may receive the following monthly payments:

Flight Pay (Crew Member)

$165 (Army, Marine Corps, Coast Guard)
$150 (Air Force and Navy)

Career Enlisted Flyer Incentive Pay

$150

Aviation Career Incentive Pay

$188

Diving Duty Pay

Up to $340 a month, depending on qualifications

Incentive Pay for Hazardous Duty

$165

Special Pay for Hostile Fire and Imminent Danger

$150

Submarine Duty Incentive Pay

$100

Hardship Duty Pay

$50-$150 (depending on location)

Foreign Language Proficiency Pay

$100-300, depending on number of languages and proficiency

Special Duty Assignment Pay

Up to $600, depending on duty assignment

Career Sea Pay

$280

Dislocation Allowance

$1,221.56 (without dependents)
$2,011.08 (with dependents)

Family Separation Allowance

$100

And again, the above is for an E-3, enlisted rank for all you non-veterans out there. Gee, seems like it adds up to slightly more than 20k a year to me. But don't take my word for it, look it up yourself.

http://www.military.com/benefits/content/mili...
JTM

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Mar 4, 2012
oh yeh wrote:
<quoted text>Not that you morons care but I gots my DD214 with medals to boot, what did you do besides cry to mom for a teet.
Just proving a point.

You seem to get more than a little upset when someone makes unfounded accusations about your experiences or abilities, yet you have no problem making wild unfounded statements about teachers. Do a little research, check your facts, and then maybe you might know what you are talking about.

By the way, I've got my DD214 for one tour in the Marines. Thanks for your service.
JTM

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Mar 4, 2012
...wild unfounded statements about servicemen. Sorry for the typo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albemarle County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Virginia Medicaid Expansion Mar '16 Patient X 1
News Albemarle May Soon Have More Panhandling (Oct '15) Feb '16 screwem 5
News Partnership to Help More Area Kids (Sep '15) Sep '15 Taysha 1
Regal Theatres Against Military (May '15) May '15 Regal Against Mil... 1
News Berry Receives 29 Years For Robberies (Jul '10) Mar '15 GodCanJudgeNotYou 19
News Suspect in U.Va. murder case to appear in court (Feb '15) Feb '15 Paul 1
News Charlottesville population has increased by ten... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Terradive 1
More from around the web