Ragged Mountain Reservoir Drained for...

Ragged Mountain Reservoir Drained for Dam Construction - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Spo...

There are 21 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Apr 11, 2012, titled Ragged Mountain Reservoir Drained for Dam Construction - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Spo.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The Ragged Mountain Reservoir has been lowered to make way for construction on a new dam.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Apr 11, 2012
It better rain soon.
Chicken Little

Greenbackville, VA

#2 Apr 11, 2012
The water is running downhill! The water is running downhill!
Stan

Farmville, VA

#3 Apr 11, 2012
I just sent my letter to the judge to stop this procedure to put our water rights up for collateral for this insane waste of taxpayer money, and I hope all you water users will do the same.

Why didn't they dredge first before draining one or our major water supplies ? Frederick says, if there's a drought they have other ways to get water. What other ways ? If so why do we need to spend all this money on a new dam, just dredging and this additional water Frederick has in his back pocket would do the trick. I think Frederick is salivating to have a new dam on his resume and we are the big time losers and will pay dearly for this travesty of decision making .

Here are instructions I got at the Open Government Alliance website :

"We urge every person with concerns to reply to the motion for judgment by mailing a letter to the judge immediately asking her to DENY the motion for judgment. It is case CL12-213.
Letters must be received by this Friday, April 13. Therefore they must be mailed by Wednesday, or hand delivered on Friday.
Letters should be addressed to The Hon. Cheryl Higgins, Albemarle County Circuit Court, 501 E. Jefferson Court Square, Charlottesville, Va, 22902.
Please feel free to express ANY and ALL of your concerns regarding the dam scheme: legal, financial, social, political, or environmental. It is appropriate and useful to have these objections placed on the record this way. "

http://www.cvillealliance.com/

Pat

Wytheville, VA

#4 Apr 11, 2012
This is a good project that will finally address the reservoir capacity shortage that plagues us in dry spells. The Open Government Alliance is made up of at most 4 people who will admit to being supporters. They have for years been misrepresenting the scope of the problem and the costs of their "Dredge Only" solution.
The lawsuit they launched will fail and (I hope) cost them big bucks. They know it too but hope to punish us all by driving up the cost of the dam through litigation. Not only do they wish for "mellow-yellow" forever, they want us to pay more for the only solution that has a broad consensus of agreement among all major civic groups, elected officials and UVA.
They don't want open government, they only want to get their way. Built the dam!

Harrisonburg, VA

#5 Apr 11, 2012
two years? are you kidding me? charlottesville takes 18 months to replaces a relatively small bridge and 2 years to replace a dam.... you people are ridiculous
Sue

Farmville, VA

#6 Apr 11, 2012
Does anyone remember Mr. Frederick crying drought every chance he had in the last several years --that is, until he got his dam approved. Now that he may be placing us in serious jeopardy by not dredging first he wouldn't utter the word, but calms drought fears by saying, "if we do experience a drought this summer, they have other places to get water from."

I would also like to know- where are these other places, and where were these places when he kept saying dredging and a modest increase of the original dam wouldn't give us enough water.

How insane that we have drained the Ragged Mt. Reservoir without dredging for additional water supply !
reality bites

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Apr 11, 2012
OK, lets build the dam. And what prey tell will it hold back? nothing. Thats right, not a bloody thing. A dam that holds nothing back, sort of like a sad story about water shortages that doesn't hold any water. Not until 9miles of land is carved up and another gazillion dollars spent to build a pipeline that will cost another gazillion dollars a year just to pump water will the boondoggle amount to a hill of beans. All brought to you by self interested persons holding official offices. And we all know about the integrity of officials in office, there ain't none. A dam that holds no water, like the comments supporting this pipe dream. I'm feel very satisfied that not a dollar of my money will never go to this folly.
Pat

Wytheville, VA

#8 Apr 12, 2012
reality bites wrote:
OK, lets build the dam. And what prey tell will it hold back? nothing. Thats right, not a bloody thing. A dam that holds nothing back, sort of like a sad story about water shortages that doesn't hold any water. Not until 9miles of land is carved up and another gazillion dollars spent to build a pipeline that will cost another gazillion dollars a year just to pump water will the boondoggle amount to a hill of beans. All brought to you by self interested persons holding official offices. And we all know about the integrity of officials in office, there ain't none. A dam that holds no water, like the comments supporting this pipe dream. I'm feel very satisfied that not a dollar of my money will never go to this folly.
Even without the new pipeline the reservoir will fill from the eight streams that feed it. Depends on how rapidly the water is used and rainfall, a renewable resource, free from Mother Nature. Are you any relation to Chicken Little?
Ron Burgundy

La Plata, MD

#9 Apr 12, 2012
Now I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but wouldn't the Rivanna reservoir have to be drained in order to dredge? If not drained, then at least the water would be unuseable while the dredging was ongoing. I think Chicken Little was rite in post #2.
Billy

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Apr 12, 2012
Oh, so NOW Ms. Salidas says that the reservoir is an important water supply resource. And she (and friends) are incredulous that the RWSA would waste money ensuring that this important resource will provide for our needs for years to come, but she's cool with wasting that same money forcing RWSA to defend an absurd lawsuit from her cronies. What a hippie-crit.
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Apr 12, 2012
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
any relation to Chicken Little?
The projections they based this expensive project on were.
We wouldn't be here with a drained reservoir during a drought if it were dredged instead.
local local

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Apr 12, 2012
Another nuisance law suite from the gang of 10 members...although only 2 showed up for the photo op. We see the same group of 10 people, over and over, on multiple issues, who think only their opinion matters. How many teachers or police persons have been downsized due to public funds having to be used to fight these never ending nuisance lawsuits?
why vote

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Apr 12, 2012
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Even without the new pipeline the reservoir will fill from the eight streams that feed it. Depends on how rapidly the water is used and rainfall, a renewable resource, free from Mother Nature. Are you any relation to Chicken Little?
Then why is there the need for a 9mile pipe to fill it? Cause those little springs you refer to won't fill a bath tube. Sorry, your answer is wrong and you know it.
ABC

Keswick, VA

#14 Apr 12, 2012
Maybe instead of griping about finally using tax payer money on something useful like increasing the water supply capacity you should focus your efforts on eliminating uncontrolled social programs like giving free lunch to kids wearing $150 shoes...
Pat

Wytheville, VA

#15 Apr 12, 2012
why vote wrote:
<quoted text>Then why is there the need for a 9mile pipe to fill it? Cause those little springs you refer to won't fill a bath tube. Sorry, your answer is wrong and you know it.
Because of the increased size of the reservoir after the new dam is built, and projected demand 50 years out a pipeline will be needed to occasionally top off the reservoir from the South Fork so it is ready to provide water during a dry spell. The upper and lower Ragged Mountain reservoirs have a sizable watershed surrounding them that collects rainwater runoff. This is not rocket science, please try and keep up.
Pat

Wytheville, VA

#16 Apr 12, 2012
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
The projections they based this expensive project on were.
We wouldn't be here with a drained reservoir during a drought if it were dredged instead.
We've been through this before "heh". The water use projections are done by professionals who do not agree with your draconian and improbable conservation measures. We are the lowest per-capita water users in Virginia right now. In addition your main objection seems to be that the projections done by professionals over state our water needs. What you fail to tell people is that any projection going out 50 years is just as likely to be under stated and we may not have enough water. Decision makers took the estimates of the professionals and I'm "dam" glad they did. Build the dam, the sooner the better!
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Apr 12, 2012
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
We've been through this before "heh". The water use projections are done by professionals who do not agree with your draconian and improbable conservation measures. We are the lowest per-capita water users in Virginia right now. In addition your main objection seems to be that the projections done by professionals over state our water needs. What you fail to tell people is that any projection going out 50 years is just as likely to be under stated and we may not have enough water. Decision makers took the estimates of the professionals and I'm "dam" glad they did. Build the dam, the sooner the better!
'paid' professionals. There is unbiased data to support dredging.
Pat

Wytheville, VA

#18 Apr 12, 2012
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
'paid' professionals. There is unbiased data to support dredging.
You're not a professional unless you get paid "heh". None of the decision makers would agree with you. Case closed.
reality bites

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Apr 12, 2012
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Because of the increased size of the reservoir after the new dam is built, and projected demand 50 years out a pipeline will be needed to occasionally top off the reservoir from the South Fork so it is ready to provide water during a dry spell. The upper and lower Ragged Mountain reservoirs have a sizable watershed surrounding them that collects rainwater runoff. This is not rocket science, please try and keep up.
So your entire premise is based on fear. Like the cold war, which turned out to be nothing more than fear mongering itself, but the taxpayers paid dearly for that ruse also. So when this reservoir fills in with silt do we go and build another dam using the same faulty logic?
Pat

Wytheville, VA

#20 Apr 12, 2012
reality bites wrote:
<quoted text>So your entire premise is based on fear. Like the cold war, which turned out to be nothing more than fear mongering itself, but the taxpayers paid dearly for that ruse also. So when this reservoir fills in with silt do we go and build another dam using the same faulty logic?
You really need some sleep to rest your tired brain. You compare a dam to the Cold War? No ruse here "bites", this has been studied to death over many years. Everything is in plain sight. Pay attention and please try and keep up. Oops, forget that, get some sleep!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albemarle County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Virginia Medicaid Expansion (Mar '16) Mar '16 Patient X 1
News Albemarle May Soon Have More Panhandling (Oct '15) Feb '16 screwem 5
News Partnership to Help More Area Kids (Sep '15) Sep '15 Taysha 1
Regal Theatres Against Military (May '15) May '15 Regal Against Mil... 1
News Berry Receives 29 Years For Robberies (Jul '10) Mar '15 GodCanJudgeNotYou 19
News Suspect in U.Va. murder case to appear in court (Feb '15) Feb '15 Paul 1
News Charlottesville population has increased by ten... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Terradive 1
More from around the web