Librarian Charged With Being Illegal ...

Librarian Charged With Being Illegal Alien

There are 144 comments on the www.postchronicle.com story from Jul 31, 2008, titled Librarian Charged With Being Illegal Alien. In it, www.postchronicle.com reports that:

A North Carolina librarian who allegedly lived illegally in the United States since she was a toddler has been charged with using a fake Social Security number.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.postchronicle.com.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“KONA, baby!”

Since: Jul 08

Jacksonville, FL

#146 Oct 6, 2008
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
But Americans commit crimes too and we reward those all the time, right?
I'd like to see the percentages of illegal alien crime rates compared to that of Americans committing crime...let's compare apples to apples, shall we?
I'm not opposed to finding a decent solution to the problem - but simply sweeping "all" of our problems under the carpet would seem like the wrong thing to do without really considering the consequences.
Your premise does not meet the logic test. You can not prevent Americans from committing crimes by deporting them. You can prevent ILLEGALS from committing crimes by deporting them. Do you see the difference? Please tell me that you have enough intelligence to comprehend this.

“KONA, baby!”

Since: Jul 08

Jacksonville, FL

#147 Oct 6, 2008
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
POS?...I was right, nothing intelligent I surmise.
So I suppose you'll be right up there leading the first line of cabbage picking at the turn of the season, right? I love it when folks like you have all the answers - unfortunately, you lack the resources to actually implement a solution. I never claimed to have the solution - I merely asked the question - if the answer was so easilly arrived at, don't you think we would've seen some progress by now? Afterall, Americans do need jobs - unemployment is going through the ceiling right now. Americans need jobs, but like I said - without the promise of benefits, I just don't see your typical out-of-work Americans standing in line, waiting for the Ag stake bed to pick them up at 5 AM.
So I reitorate - What Americans will pick the cabbage?
No, I spent my time in the fields when I was young. It motivated me to complete my education and better myself. Not every American has these options though. There are Americans more than willing to work in the fields if the alternative is starving. Maybe cutting out welfare benefits for able-bodied citizens would provide more incentive to work where the work is. So I reiterate (correct spelling), Americans will pick your cabbage.

“I know where you are,”

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#148 Oct 6, 2008
Pappa wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I spent my time in the fields when I was young. It motivated me to complete my education and better myself. Not every American has these options though. There are Americans more than willing to work in the fields if the alternative is starving. Maybe cutting out welfare benefits for able-bodied citizens would provide more incentive to work where the work is. So I reiterate (correct spelling), Americans will pick your cabbage.
When you were young is the key word...I did alot of things too when I was young that I probaqbly wouldn't do today - even if it meant more money.

I agree, maybe cutting welfare benefits would be a start, but many states have already tried that and failed - Wisconsin being one of them. It's a trickle down effect - there are so many Ag businesses nowadays that couldn't possible stay in business without the "illegal" factor involved. The Fresno, CA area is a good example of this. Maybe we need to look at this from the standpoint of the business owner first to see what the real issue is. Simply suggesting replacement labor from the bottom up I don't think is the true answer. The only issue I have with so-called "illegal" labor is skilled trades - and government and cities are just as much to blame. When they create their annual budgets for construction (I'm going to use the SE as an example since I reside here now), the only businesses that can afford the budgeted costs are ones that employ immigrant skilled labor (bricklayers, landscapers, etc.). I see that all the time down here. Meanwhile, my union friends up in Wisconsin are sitting on their hands without work. I guess there's a huge difference between union pay scale wages and non-union wages. The ironic thing is - it's hard to tell the difference in the work quality when completed. Just my 2 cents worth.

“I know where you are,”

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#149 Oct 6, 2008
Pappa wrote:
<quoted text>
Your premise does not meet the logic test. You can not prevent Americans from committing crimes by deporting them. You can prevent ILLEGALS from committing crimes by deporting them. Do you see the difference? Please tell me that you have enough intelligence to comprehend this.
Oh I see your point - but that wasn't my point. I just wanted to see the percentages or cites per capita when comparing illegal violent crime to American-only violent crime to back her opinions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alamance County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Alamance Co. Man Charged With Sex Offenses With... (Oct '08) Jun '16 VICTIM 20
News Two Burlington teens charged with breaking into... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Go Blue Forever 1
News Middleburg Garden Club reports numerous fall ac... (Apr '15) Apr '15 luannebrooten 1
News DWIs ensnare many aliens (Sep '08) Apr '15 For Americans 18
News LabCorp finalizes merger deal with LipoScience (Jan '15) Jan '15 Bill Taylor 1
Mobile Advertising (Jan '15) Jan '15 mommakritter 1
News Walker's congressional office open (Jan '15) Jan '15 Not Surprised 1
More from around the web