Online forum: Alamance a hub for drug...

Online forum: Alamance a hub for drug trafficking?

There are 2 comments on the Burlington Times News story from Mar 27, 2009, titled Online forum: Alamance a hub for drug trafficking?. In it, Burlington Times News reports that:

A story published in the Times-News online and in print last week after an agent with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency spoke before the Alamance County Board of Commissioners drew dozens of comments via the readers comments forum on TheTimesNews.com. Here's a sample of some of the comments posted about the area being classified as a hub for drug ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Burlington Times News.

F Young

Laguna Woods, CA

#1 Apr 3, 2009
Border Crisis Solution? Consider building a canal
from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific along the US/Mexico border....

We all agree there is a major drug problem here in the US that is the main source of problems along our border with Mexico, and Mexico has equally serious internal problems fueled by the trafficking of drugs through their country to the border.

Both the US and Mexico desperately need to attack our internal problems by stiffening our laws, penalties and enforcement, and here in the US, initiate strong anti-drug use programs.

Even by strengthening our control of the border with much more equipment, many more ATF/INS agents, possibly sending the National Guard, building the fence, sending equipment and supplies to Mexico, are all drastically needed immediate measures but are not economically sustainable for the long term, and will still leave our border porous and penetrable.

What is needed is a definitive method of sealing off our border for the long term. One thing that has comes to my mind that not only will accomplish that, but would also provide something useful, is to build a canal through a concerted effort with Mexico along the US/Mexico border that, upon completion, could be operated by the US and Mexico through a cooperative effort.

This would provide not only the immediate benefit of the employment of thousands upon thousands of both US and Mexican workers of all categories during the construction phase, necessitate the development of infrastructure to support these workers and this effort employing thousands more, provide increasing security as completion progresses that would facilitate the proportionate reduction of enforcement agents that could be reassigned to other tasks, effectively stop cross border smuggling and illegal immigration, provide a cargo transportation corridor that would reduce consumption of fossil fuel as well as reducing atmospheric pollution.

A project of this magnitude, though at first glance might seem far fetched and not within our capabilities, is well within our technical and physical abilities, and would have benefits far beyond those that have been discussed here.

The Egyptians, Aztecs, and Mayas built pyramids, the Chinese built the wall of China with far less technology than we have today.

Frederic L. Young
Laguna Woods, CA
jason-2-0-sickne ss

Carmichael, CA

#2 May 3, 2009
I am laughing on the outside and crying on the inside. Whats next, a firewall between the US and Canada? Maybe we mine all the ocean surrounding us? Or better yet, lets just build a giant bubble, encapsulating the country. I feel that the one thing people of your generation lack when dealing with drugs is the ability to be realistic. People will always want to get high, and so long as that happens people will always be willing to exploit that for money. If the mexico border was 100% drug-proof (which it will never be) then the drug runners would simply find a new way.
Please think things out before posting your foolish plans

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alamance County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man wanted in Burlington shooting considered ar... Aug '17 HEiSaDUMMY 1
News Missing Burlington man's car found in Va. Aug '17 ARRESTED 2
News Couple linked to man's disappearance Aug '17 ARRESTED 1
News 16-Year-Old Arrested, Charged with Sex Crimes (Sep '10) Jan '17 Truthis 26
News Alamance Co. Man Charged With Sex Offenses With... (Oct '08) Nov '16 Tom 21
News Alamance County group rallies for voting rights (Oct '16) Oct '16 ID Law proponent 1
Alamance County Criminal Mugshots and Arrests... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Wyatt 2
More from around the web