Pennsylvania deer kills drop

Pennsylvania deer kills drop

There are 34 comments on the Evening Sun story from Mar 24, 2008, titled Pennsylvania deer kills drop. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Pennsylvania's estimated deer harvest totals for the 2007-08 hunting season, released Friday by the state Game Commission, are likely to provide more fodder for critics of the state's deer-management plan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Annette Ritchie

Washington, DC

#1 Mar 24, 2008
Maybe all the deer have gone to Adams county on the battlefield where they are being slaughtered. Pretty soon you will have to go to a zoo to see what a deer looks like. I know there has to be some control but not the way our "battlefield" people are doing it.(let alone the distruction of the actual wood lands too).
Sharon Sheppard

Boca Raton, FL

#2 Mar 24, 2008
The great debate over deer herd management in Pennsylvania has yet to include perhaps the most crucial issue - type of habitat and loss of habitat - particularly in areas where large land parels have become housing developments. Also, it is not realistic to create a single policy for management as there are at least two senarios - deer population in farmland regions and deer population in upstate woodland habitat.

Whethter one is managing a herd of deer or cattle or any other herd, it is important to assess the land and vegetation to evaluate how many animals can be supported. Culling should be based on knowing how many males/females along with evaluating food supply. We should be avoiding over population in some regions while backing off quotas in areas where herd population is reduced.

Upstate, we should remember years ago there was a terrific icy winter that killed many animals. Our cousin was there to see hundreds of dead and dying animals that slid off the mountain - gestation is 9 months plus at least one season to reproduce. The deer herds in these areas do not have the advantage of crops so twins are less likely. In farmland areas twins are rather common.

As we continue to think that these decisions need only be made from behind a desk my guess is that hunting as we all know it shall become a distant memory in the not too distant future.
Stuck in Brushtown

Harrisburg, PA

#3 Mar 24, 2008
Poor Sherry, flappin her gums from West Palm while the common folk deal with the winter weather. You have no credability with us.
FIRE doc

Gettysburg, PA

#4 Mar 25, 2008
How can you make any type of statement from Florida about the PA deer population? Looser!
GNL

Falls Church, VA

#5 Mar 25, 2008
As a deer hunter in Adams county, I have seen what looks like to me as a drop in the numbers of the herd. The area I usually hunt is a thicket of Briars and bushes. My hunting partners and I would almost always kick out 3 or 4 deer from these thickets. This past year we did not kick out any and we pushed these thickets many times. In other areas where we would usually see 8 to 10 deer pass by daily, we only saw 2 or 3 deer.
My thoughts are that the allowance to kill buck or doe during the 2 week season has killed off too many doe and thus drops the re-population of the herd. When you had two weeks of Buck and then 2 or 3 days of doe season The population was not hurt as bad because not as many doe were killed.
But hey, I am just a hunter of the PA woods andan observer of nature, not a game biologist.
Sharon Sheppard

Boca Raton, FL

#6 Mar 25, 2008
FIRE doc wrote:
How can you make any type of statement from Florida about the PA deer population? Looser!
I happen to be in Florida and posted from a computer down here - I live in Adams county - have lived in Pennsylvania for all of my 52 years.

Beyond that fact - If you find it necessary to label me a "looser", I fail to understand how that unsupported opinion is constructive to a concern many of us have about diminishing wildlife populations.

Our disconnection from nature continues to undermine our quality of life - whether it be the resources we squander or our ignorance of the connection of all things.

Isn't it time to stop berating each other and come together to solve problems? Perhaps we could actually accomplish something.
PA Hunter

Hollywood, FL

#7 Mar 25, 2008
The deer population upstate has been reduced to almost zero, yet the game commission insists that more deer need to be killed to preserve the forest. The game commission has allowed the killing of doe to the point of near extinction. They will eventually reap what they have sown. As more hunters become frustrated with the mismanagement of the deer heard, they will buy less licenses. Hunting will become a thing of the past and so will the game commission. It's time to take the game management out of the commission's hands and let someone with some common sense run it. Doe hunting should be stopped for at least 3 years north of Rt 80.
Jim Bensel

Tionesta, PA

#8 Mar 25, 2008
Do away with some of these multipul tags issued to many hunters. I have heard of some hunters harvesting 4 or 5 deer with all the special tags they can get now. I no longer hunt myself, I now feed deer in my back yard but when I did hunt, after you harvested a deer you were done until the next season.
Daniel

Nashville, TN

#9 Mar 25, 2008
Keep this rant in mind the next time you hit a deer with your car. The hunters actually do a great service by keeping the deer herd manageable.

Or, would you prefer the area to be so overpopulated with deer that the land cannot sustain the large population, and the deer starve?
Annette Ritchie wrote:
Maybe all the deer have gone to Adams county on the battlefield where they are being slaughtered. Pretty soon you will have to go to a zoo to see what a deer looks like. I know there has to be some control but not the way our "battlefield" people are doing it.(let alone the distruction of the actual wood lands too).

Since: Dec 07

Roselle, IL

#10 Mar 25, 2008
Sharon Sheppard wrote:
<quoted text>
I happen to be in Florida and posted from a computer down here - I live in Adams county - have lived in Pennsylvania for all of my 52 years.
Beyond that fact - If you find it necessary to label me a "looser", I fail to understand how that unsupported opinion is constructive to a concern many of us have about diminishing wildlife populations.
Our disconnection from nature continues to undermine our quality of life - whether it be the resources we squander or our ignorance of the connection of all things.
Isn't it time to stop berating each other and come together to solve problems? Perhaps we could actually accomplish something.
You're going to have to excuse the nimble minded.......they have no clue except to resort to name calling when something they don't understand is in their way.
Mike

United States

#11 Mar 25, 2008
FIRE doc wrote:
You try calling someone a loser and can't even spell it correctly. What does that say about you?
gary brown

Newville, PA

#12 Mar 25, 2008
you can't keep taking and not giving and expect to have.
Ralph

Johnstown, PA

#13 Mar 26, 2008
The game commission is ruining our states hunting. All they do is make excuses and tell flat out lies. Something definately needs done sooner than later!!!
Louis T

Johnstown, PA

#14 Mar 26, 2008
The gameless commission has fallen prey to the timber industry and the audobon society. They are pulling the strings and the pgc is SUPPOSED to be an independent agency. They are nothing but a puppet... The hunters need to unite and put a stop to the b.s.
CLAUDE

Johnstown, PA

#17 Mar 26, 2008
The people playing the joke, the one they call deer management, are a bunch of corrupt inept clowns!
FIRE doc

Gettysburg, PA

#18 Apr 1, 2008
Sharon Sheppard wrote:
<quoted text>
And in 52 years, how many have you spent hunting in PA?
Sharon Sheppard

Tucson, AZ

#20 Apr 1, 2008
FIRE doc wrote:
<quoted text>
And in 52 years, how many have you spent hunting in PA?
I started hunting as a teenager - primarily bird hunting.(you may do the math if you wish) My entire family has hunted white tail for as long as I can remember both locally & in Slate Run where they built a cabin in the 1950's.

I live on land that has been either part of my family or my husband's family since the 18th century. Over the years we have observed many changes in wildlife populations. Habitat is a key part in sustaining these populations as food and cover are imperative.

Hunting is only part of game management as populations do require culling.(my guess is that this is better than intoducing the Mt. lion back into populated areas)The only point that I wanted to make was that the State cannot create one policy for all areas and be effective.

Whether you are a hunter, conservationist, or you just enjoy seeing some of nature's wonders, there are many facets to this issue. All need to be understood in order to create a responsible policy.
Greg

Lima, OH

#21 May 23, 2008
My brothers and I have been hunting Forest County for 35 years. Never have I seen such a mis-managed program as the Pa Game commission. They have robbed us all of a most precious resource and a way of life. My best memories our ones hunting with my Dad and brothers. It is obscene what they have done to our forests. Our children and grandchildren will never experience the hunting heritage that was once "Gods Country" in Pa.

“Tu ne cede malis”

Since: Dec 06

Lots of different places

#22 May 24, 2008
Annette Ritchie wrote:
Pretty soon you'll be all lathered-up and fit to be tied!

If you had read the article in its entirety, you'd have garnered the knowledge of the problems experienced in both the weather of the period, and the way the Game Commission has played stupid games with the people.

By your words referenced above, why I'll bet you're an anti-hunter whom has never once had to deal with an over-population of deer, or other animals which have out-stripped the ability of the available land to support them, which has —in the past— lead to massive die-offs.

But I'll guess that such a situation doesn't bother you, as you'd rather see animals starve to death, and see them quickly dispatched.

And by the way, deary: Animal herds which suffer starvation tend to produce off-spring having lesser abilities to survive, many possessing less desirable traits and becoming easier prey in the long run to both predators and disease. But >YOU< don't give a whit about that, do you?

Now, don't you have a stuffed toy to go hug?
Daryl

Uniontown, PA

#23 Jun 4, 2008
ITs absolutely grotesque mismanagement that I am amazed the legislators are allowing it to continue. The hunter numbers are dropping, the herd is dropping and many legislators are trying for the change. PGC isnt listening and the problem is a few idiots in the Senate are pgc sympathizers who are preventing any meaningful change from being possible. Its a real ugly situation in our state unfortunately, thanks to a few small groups which i'll not mention due to instant nauseau they induce.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Adams County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News York Springs hires new tax collector aftera Aug 18 honest3tax2collec... 1
News Feces-filled bucket left at Adams County home, ... (Jul '15) Aug 16 Coprophagy 81
News Gettysburg man charged with production of child... Aug 11 Rickie 8
News Robbers take out AC unit, beat residents with b... Jul '16 Steve Gratman 4
News Parents effected by heroin epidemic hold awaren... Jun '16 Davenport 3
News Canadian police assist in Gettysburg arrest (Nov '15) May '16 Davenport 8
News Gettysburg man gets jail sentence, deemed viole... (Apr '13) Mar '16 Davenport 194
More from around the web