Reassessing residents' tax burden

Reassessing residents' tax burden

There are 16 comments on the Evening Sun story from Jun 21, 2010, titled Reassessing residents' tax burden. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Adams County residents next year could see property tax bills either significantly higher or considerably lower than in the past, but that bottom line figure should represent each homeowner's fair share of the local tax burden, according to an appraisal company hired by the county.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

Ms tater head

Washington, DC

#1 Jun 22, 2010
Why did you schedule these meetings before Adams county residents received their new assessments?
one who knows

Newport, PA

#2 Jun 22, 2010
I agree w ith the first persons statement as well as the lack of notice of the meeting at Conewago HS. It was less that four days prior to the meeting. I also would like to state that I am personally offended at the nature of the company's representative. I am not going to be Monte Hall. Well maybe he better be prepared for lots of people that have lived here all there lives and know what things are worth, not someone who has make hundreds of thousands of our tax dollars to do his job. I would expect him to be at least respectful of those who really paid his wages, not the commissioners who for the most part do not have a clue as to how to govern or budget
David

Smyrna, SC

#3 Jun 22, 2010
Buy some KY jelly,it will help ease the pain of what we are about to recieve
Pa resident

United States

#4 Jun 22, 2010
They came out about 2 years ago and did an assesment.What more do they want????
Our home is worth less now that when we bough it 6 years ago.
Why not tax the big business's up here and make them pay more??? Leave the home owners alone
Tony W

Baltimore, MD

#5 Jun 22, 2010
It is funny the people who will probably get the cuts are the people who bought new houses. They are not worth anything. But my home because it is historic and in an historic town will have to pay more taxes. One meeting I was at had all these Maryland people who bought new homes complaining because they lived in a retirment community but had to pay higher taxes. I say tough tooey. APPEALS here I come!!
ButtCrackLouie

New York, NY

#6 Jun 22, 2010
Ms tater head wrote:
Why did you schedule these meetings before Adams county residents received their new assessments?
C'mon Ms tater head. You already know the answer to that question. Do you realy need a response.
anonymous

Washington, DC

#7 Jun 22, 2010
gee its amazing since I highlighted specific items that I wanted to discuss with someone but I never got a call. So I guess I will have to be the b**ch and call them. They had things down that were not correct and I wanted them to speak with me personally..........figures.
mjh233

United States

#8 Jun 22, 2010
Moral slavery is any taxation over 9.99 percent. God gets .10 percent, government should never get an equal amount. No excuse can be made, it's greed, pure and simple.

If you're retired, can't work, and getting taxed out of your lifelong home, thank a Teacher.(and a fireman, a policeman, the librarian, the pothole worker, the sewage guy, etc.) THEY all have retirement, paid for on our backs, while we get "401K"'s........

CONSTITUTIONALLY ABOLISH ALL STATE PENSION FUNDS.....(Then let THEM figure out how to comply, just like us...)

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#9 Jun 23, 2010
>>>But while 21st Century is doing the math - studying home prices and running the "constrained regression analysis" - it's really Adams County homeowners who set the assessed values, through the market prices for various types of housing, he said.<<<

So which market value prices did they use? 2008 or 2010?

We are SOOOOOOOO screwed.

Location hidden

#10 Jun 23, 2010
Ms tater head wrote:
Because they're cowards.
frox

Lititz, PA

#11 Jun 23, 2010
Your new assessment should equal the CURRENT fair market value of the property. This is really not a bad thing for county residents. Chances are, you were already getting screwed and did not know it. When you look at your current assessment, you are not being taxed as though your property is worth that amount. You are being taxed as though it is worth 4.5 times that amount. Most people do not know or understand this. So if you have a $200,000 house and you get the assessment that says assessment $80,000, fair market value $160,000 you will think you are making out well. However, you are being taxed as though your house is worth $360,000 and you don't even know it. Now, with the new assessments equal to 100 percent of the fair market value, at least you'll have a better idea how much the County values your home.

Also, keep in mind that following the reassessment, the taxing authorities are required to drop their millage rates to an amount which would net the exact same amount of taxes as in the prior year. So it is revenue neutral. They can then increase the taxes after that but the reassessment itself will not result in increased taxes throughout the County.

Bottom line, pay attention to your assessment when it comes out next week. If you think it is high, spend a couple hundred bucks on an appraisal and file an appeal. It will not just save you money next year but in every year until the next reassessment!

Location hidden

#12 Jun 23, 2010
frox wrote:
If you think it is high, spend a couple hundred bucks on an appraisal and file an appeal.
I'm glad you've got a couple of hundred bucks laying around which you can throw away fighting an unfair reassessment.

Plus, you're making an awfully big assumption that folks' homes were already overvalued, and that the reassessment would somehow give everyone a break. Yeah right!

What will happen is that the currently assessed values of the new McMansions will drop while the values of the older homes of more long-term residents will be jacked up through the roof.
I can't wait until the supervisors get deluged with angry complaints this time next week once everyone gets their notices. It'll be tar and feather time!!!
ADAMS 50to100

Lebanon, PA

#13 Jun 23, 2010
It is all about 50 to 100% change in AVs ( assessed values ) x millage rates.

We are going from 50% AV ( assessed value ) to 100%. And regardless of whether it kicks in immediately or two years later, it is going to make a difference in your taxes. As is stated in this article, government has to make sure that total increase in not more than a certain percentage for the first so many years. So depending on how much they increased or decreased properties, this will factor into how much tax you will be paying those first years.

IMPORTANT POINT
Did you wonder why your tax millages increased THIS YEAR?

Well, the reason a lot of us got increases on our tax bills this year, was to increase the base they are working with next year and which will factor into this NEW increase -- adding to how much they can raise it further after the reassessment!!

Example: previously your property was assessed at 75,000
That meant they thought your property was worth 150,000

With the new reassessment and going from a 50%to100%AV, your tax bill will reflect what they think is your full value of your property and that will be the figure they use when calculating your taxes with the millage. If they feel your property value was correct before, then the new AV will be 2times the old AV.

and
AV x millage = taxes.

Hopefully they won't think your 150,000 property is really a 300,000 property. But if they do in this depressed market, you have a real problem. Not only will you never get anyone to buy it for that figure, but you will be taxed tremendously more for their mistake!

Another reason doing the Reassessment now was a bad idea. All homes should have gone down in value!!
ASK ANYONE WHO JUST SOLD THEIR HOME AND TOOK A LOSS!!

So remember - when you look at your reassessment paper - that old AV was supposed to be 50% of your value

and the new should be that old value times 2

simple as that ... until the millage rates kick in a few years later at this new higher rate sure to come!

COST to you ... 2 million plus your new tax bill!!

And your previous county commissioners put this in action and your new commissioners didn't stop it!
Dave Monsour-Realtor

Huntingdon Valley, PA

#14 Jul 5, 2010
The new assessed values put a lot of financial strain on people with fixed incomes. The calls are already coming into the real estate office about values and potentially selling due to the tax increases on some properties. Others have enjoyed small drops in their taxes.
The biggest problem with the new system is that it's based on 100% value instead of 50%. You may or may not know that the school board is limited to a one millage rate a year increase. Under the new system a 1 millage rate increase will result in 2x the tax increase it did under the old system. Depending on your old assessment it could be as high as 4x. A situation has been created where small millage increases will cause dramatic tax hikes.
My taxes in the Gettysburg Borough Doubled.
Tom

Carlisle, PA

#15 Jul 5, 2010
ADAMS 50to100 wrote:
It is all about 50 to 100% change in AVs ( assessed values ) x millage rates.
We are going from 50% AV ( assessed value ) to 100%. And regardless of whether it kicks in immediately or two years later, it is going to make a difference in your taxes. As is stated in this article, government has to make sure that total increase in not more than a certain percentage for the first so many years. So depending on how much they increased or decreased properties, this will factor into how much tax you will be paying those first years.
IMPORTANT POINT
Did you wonder why your tax millages increased THIS YEAR?
Well, the reason a lot of us got increases on our tax bills this year, was to increase the base they are working with next year and which will factor into this NEW increase -- adding to how much they can raise it further after the reassessment!!
Example: previously your property was assessed at 75,000
That meant they thought your property was worth 150,000
With the new reassessment and going from a 50%to100%AV, your tax bill will reflect what they think is your full value of your property and that will be the figure they use when calculating your taxes with the millage. If they feel your property value was correct before, then the new AV will be 2times the old AV.
and
AV x millage = taxes.
Hopefully they won't think your 150,000 property is really a 300,000 property. But if they do in this depressed market, you have a real problem. Not only will you never get anyone to buy it for that figure, but you will be taxed tremendously more for their mistake!
Another reason doing the Reassessment now was a bad idea. All homes should have gone down in value!!
ASK ANYONE WHO JUST SOLD THEIR HOME AND TOOK A LOSS!!
So remember - when you look at your reassessment paper - that old AV was supposed to be 50% of your value
and the new should be that old value times 2
simple as that ... until the millage rates kick in a few years later at this new higher rate sure to come!
COST to you ... 2 million plus your new tax bill!!
And your previous county commissioners put this in action and your new commissioners didn't stop it!
Not sure if you are aware or not, but this reassessment was court ordered.
David Monsour - Realtor

Shermans Dale, PA

#16 Jul 7, 2010
If you want to appeal Click the link below. I wrote a blog about the process and what you have to do.

http://www.realty-insights.com/...

We've had a ton of calls come into the real estate offices already.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Adams County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gettysburg man charged with sexual assault of twoa 23 hr Steve Gratman 1
News Gettysburg (PA) racino proposed for third time Thu Ski 19
News Central Pa. couple launch Stronghold Cyber Secu... Jul 16 Genevieve 1
News Feces-filled bucket left at Adams County home, ... (Jul '15) Jun 26 Steve Gratman 89
News 2 men charged with illegal re-entry Jun '17 spytheweb 1
News Aspers teen denied bail in stabbing case (Oct '06) May '17 robin watson 23
News Adams County woman charged in fatal shooting of... Apr '17 Jitterbug 1
More from around the web