Adams settles nearly a quarter of appeals

Full story: Evening Sun 97
Nearly a quarter of the appeals of reassessed property values in Adams County that have gone to the court of common pleas have been settled so far without a trial. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Red

Gettysburg, PA

#1 Jan 3, 2011
The system is a total sham and they settle out of court because they know they are going to lose. These commissioners and everyone associated with this process needs to be voted OUT of office NOW...
Moose

Gettysburg, PA

#2 Jan 3, 2011
Let's see the numbers based on the July 1st assessed values. Let's see how great a job 21st Century Appraisals really did.

Here's one example...

http://spreadthemustard.com/Tax%20Assessment/...

For more, go to...

http://spreadthemustard.com/
old codger

Cashtown, PA

#3 Jan 3, 2011
I pay TAXES in Adams County!!! The people need to get their shit together & sue this bunch of money grubbing (Give myself a raise commissioners!!)You can bet their not worrdied about losing everything they worked for all their life because of a damn tax bill! Damn if i can vote myself a raise!! The ways things are going,,I guess i'm lucky to still have what i got!!
paul kellett

Newville, PA

#4 Jan 3, 2011
It seems strange to me that the County is willing to settle these cases. All supposedly had a fair formal appeal with fair market value was determined based on evidence given, yet the County will settle for less? How is this fair? 20% appealed their assessment, 1% appealed to the Court of Common Pleas, yet this assessment was fair? Before you judge the Commissioners consider this, not only did they vote themselves a raise, which should have been done at a public meeting between 6-9PM, but they hired a County Manager to help them with their workload, which just got lighter because they sold Green Acres and farmed out the food service at the prison. So, they lightened the load so they could have more down time to spend the extra dough. Maybe they could spend a little time and calculate the COD of the recent reassessment. I did, and it is worse than the 1990 COD. Thanks Moose for spreading the word as well as the mustard. Paul Kellett
Broke

Cashtown, PA

#5 Jan 3, 2011
paul kellett wrote:
It seems strange to me that the County is willing to settle these cases. All supposedly had a fair formal appeal with fair market value was determined based on evidence given, yet the County will settle for less? How is this fair? 20% appealed their assessment, 1% appealed to the Court of Common Pleas, yet this assessment was fair? Before you judge the Commissioners consider this, not only did they vote themselves a raise, which should have been done at a public meeting between 6-9PM, but they hired a County Manager to help them with their workload, which just got lighter because they sold Green Acres and farmed out the food service at the prison. So, they lightened the load so they could have more down time to spend the extra dough. Maybe they could spend a little time and calculate the COD of the recent reassessment. I did, and it is worse than the 1990 COD. Thanks Moose for spreading the word as well as the mustard. Paul Kellett
Everything you said makes very good sense ! This county is really screwing over the tax payers & I'm glad we have people like you on our side! THANKS!!
gre

Hanover, PA

#6 Jan 3, 2011
and the ones that didn't appeal get a royal screwing from adams county!!
angry in new oxford

United States

#7 Jan 4, 2011
I was one who took my case to the Adams County Court of Appeals. They originally assessed my 1/4 acre with my house, no garage, no outbuildings, no deck at $283,200. After hiring an appraiser, attending an informal appeal, a formal appeal, hiring a lawyer, time off work to appear at the appeals and court hearing without pay, (not to mention the research, stress, and anger my wife and I went through) I got it down to $200,000 even...that's almost a third less, which just goes to show you how skewed these assessments really are. It cost me over $1,000 counting time off work, but I figure I'll make that up in just the first two years of paying tribute to these greedy know-nothings.
Moose

Gettysburg, PA

#8 Jan 4, 2011
paul kellett wrote:
It seems strange to me that the County is willing to settle these cases. All supposedly had a fair formal appeal with fair market value was determined based on evidence given, yet the County will settle for less? How is this fair? 20% appealed their assessment, 1% appealed to the Court of Common Pleas, yet this assessment was fair?
Not everyone got hosed in this reassessment. In fact some made out very well and even were under-assessed. Look at this example.

http://spreadthemustard.com/Tax%20Assessment/...

However, not everyone was so lucky. FMV was supposed to be established July 1. If not, it should have been corrected through the informal and formal appeals process. For some unknown reason, the commissioners failed to recognize the obvious and it is now costing taxpayers extra to have justice served. I cannot explain why they seem so indifferent. Ask them!

Your assessed value depends on various things. It depends where your parcel is, what your land can be used for, what your land IS being used for, and MOST IMPORTANTLY...HOW BIG IT IS! C&G eligible lands rose less than a factor of 4. Those not eligible saw their land values rise by at least 8. Here's the data that suggests this.

http://spreadthemustard.com/Tax%20Assessment/...

I've submitted many inquiries to get answers to the county's taxation methodolgy and all of my inquiries have gone UNANSWERED! How's that for serving your constituency?...And George seeks re-election!?

Paul, when are you going to announce your candidacy?

http://spreadthemustard.com/
Me Too

Washington, DC

#9 Jan 4, 2011
Hartzell doesn't want to say what the difference is between actual sales and appraised value, because he is embarrassed by the huge difference in numbers.
Me Too

Washington, DC

#10 Jan 4, 2011
Excuse me... I meant settlement, not sales...sorry
Me Too

Washington, DC

#11 Jan 4, 2011
At least I can admit when I make a mistake. Hartzell is just one of the commissioners "good ole boys".
Big Dog

Fort Myers, FL

#12 Jan 4, 2011
What the Commissioners and 21st Century are counting on is that by dealing with individuals on a case by case basis they will not have to admit that the entire process and methodology is flawed. They realize that not everyone with a questionable assessment will be able to afford to challenge the results. They seem to be applying the strategy that the best defense is a good offense so by ignoring the mounting evidence that the process was flawed and by continuing to tell everyone that the results are accurate and within acceptable mass reassement standards of practice that eventually everyone will come to accept the results and the problem will soon be forgotten. "Even the smallest man knows the difference between right and wrong but it takes the biggest man to admit and accept what is wrong and to make it right." (author unkonwn) The Commissioners need to be the bigger man or woman and make this right for the people of Adams County.
Duh

Chambersburg, PA

#13 Jan 4, 2011
By law--post these settlements for all to see-- such as-Public documents and Court Records. Or, perhaps those who have settled are in bed with Weikert and the other losers , and we--THE PEOPLE will never know. .
Duh

Chambersburg, PA

#14 Jan 4, 2011
Me Too wrote:
At least I can admit when I make a mistake. Hartzell is just one of the commissioners "good ole boys".
He's actually a RELATIVE .
Voice of Reason

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Jan 4, 2011
paul kellett wrote:
It seems strange to me that the County is willing to settle these cases. All supposedly had a fair formal appeal with fair market value was determined based on evidence given, yet the County will settle for less? How is this fair? 20% appealed their assessment, 1% appealed to the Court of Common Pleas, yet this assessment was fair? Before you judge the Commissioners consider this, not only did they vote themselves a raise, which should have been done at a public meeting between 6-9PM, but they hired a County Manager to help them with their workload, which just got lighter because they sold Green Acres and farmed out the food service at the prison. So, they lightened the load so they could have more down time to spend the extra dough. Maybe they could spend a little time and calculate the COD of the recent reassessment. I did, and it is worse than the 1990 COD. Thanks Moose for spreading the word as well as the mustard. Paul Kellett
20% appealed and 1% to Common Pleas...what is the industry standard? Is this high as it relates to a county-wide reassessment?

I completely agree with the workload comment, and I would say further that they should see reductions in pay of about $55,000 each.

Further, if you are planning a run at office, you really need to come up with more compelling facts in your disparaging rants about the current officials. I mean really, they have given you a lot to work with, and this is the best you can do? Not impressed.
Voice of Reason

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Jan 4, 2011
Moose wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul, when are you going to announce your candidacy?
Moose, I thought you were running? I don't know you at all, but I am certain you would be better at the job, based upon your attention to detail and clearly expressed thoughts versus useless mumbling of baseless facts.
Moose

Warrenville, IL

#17 Jan 4, 2011
I have comtemplated it. May decide soon.
Moose

Warrenville, IL

#18 Jan 4, 2011
...but I support Paul and/or Gary Brown just because they have shown the willingness and desire to defend the basic tenets of our rights as Adams County citizens. Not sure if either is interested in running, though.
bill

Walnut Bottom, PA

#19 Jan 4, 2011
i had a two pannel board had a appraisal from a certified real estate broker well mr and mrs commissioners the board did not consider the apprasial its still off by 117,000 dollars and you say show me i can tell you this i ahd the wrong board others were treated fair i ask is this discrimation
bill

Walnut Bottom, PA

#20 Jan 4, 2011
lets go moose we need you to run for commissioner

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Adams County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Unusual theft: 42 speed limit signs & posts sto... Nov 16 Just a thought 5
Another View: Does Gettysburg sell itself Oct 29 Big D 1
Gettysburg man arrested for child porn for seco... (May '13) Oct 28 Pink Eye 90
Gettysburg man gets jail sentence, deemed viole... (Apr '13) Oct '14 Just a thought 180
Police: Illinois sex offender arrested in Getty... (Jul '13) Sep '14 Just a thought 22
Police: Woman charged after attempted 7-Eleven ... Aug '14 CSI 5
Tyrone Township man pleaded guilty to animal se... (Mar '14) Aug '14 Steve Gratman 2

Adams County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE