C 5500/C 5580 Printing CD/DVD issues

Posted in the Hewlett Packard Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cabo

Buffalo, NY

#1 Oct 2, 2008
Has anyone tried printing directly on a CD/DVD using the prepackaged HP software? It is so limited that you can't even change the color or size of the font. If the photo that you print on the CD/DVD is dark in the area that the font has to go, then it's impossible to read what's written over the photo. I can't believe that HP has released such limited software for such a fine printer. Yes, I'm using version 3.5. HP doesn't seem to support 3d party CD/DVD print programs. I've tried but to no avail. Has anyone found a 3d party printing program that works with either the 5500 or the 5580????? Other that that, I love the printer(s)!
Cabo

Takoma Park, MD

#2 Oct 8, 2008
Although no one has responded to my above request. I found played a bit until I discovered a very cool answer. You can use Microsoft Printi it! 7.0 to do all your picture development. It even has a cool section where you can wrap words around an arc, or pretty much any other way you chose. After you get the text and photo the way you want it - save it, then open it up with HP Photosmart and print it using the print directly onto the CD/DVD feature. I suppose that you could do the same with any number of other print programs; however, you must use the HP software to eventually print it. Don't bother asking HP, they're clueless. The results are fantastic. Now, I love the printer. Mine is a HP 5550 that I purchased at Costco. Good luck
lvh

Lincoln, NE

#3 Oct 8, 2008
Cabo wrote:
Although no one has responded to my above request. I found played a bit until I discovered a very cool answer. You can use Microsoft Printi it! 7.0 to do all your picture development. It even has a cool section where you can wrap words around an arc, or pretty much any other way you chose. After you get the text and photo the way you want it - save it, then open it up with HP Photosmart and print it using the print directly onto the CD/DVD feature. I suppose that you could do the same with any number of other print programs; however, you must use the HP software to eventually print it. Don't bother asking HP, they're clueless. The results are fantastic. Now, I love the printer. Mine is a HP 5550 that I purchased at Costco. Good luck
THANK YOU FOR THE TIP- I just bought the same printer last night- because I use the DVD printing in my small business. I was getting very frustrated with the lame DVD printing software! I have Microsoft Print It! I'll give that a try.
And you're right- absolutely no help from HP Customer Service.
Randy

Dallas, TX

#4 Nov 18, 2008
I have the same printer (Sam's). It is a great little "All in One", I bought this for the CD/DVD printing option. No doubt the included software for this option is pathetic. I had an Epson before this one but had ink cartridge problems, however, the CD print options were excellent.(Take a hint HP) Thanks for the advise Cabo, I'll give it a go.
By the way, I did notice on the Epson that printing on the silver surface injet printable CDs looks superior to the matted white.
Take Luck
Karen

Molalla, OR

#5 Dec 3, 2008
Where do I find Microsoft Print it!??
I googled it and came up with nothing -
Please help-
Thank you
Cabo wrote:
jcc

United States

#6 Feb 26, 2009
Karen wrote:
Where do I find Microsoft Print it!??
I googled it and came up with nothing -
Please help-
Thank you
<quoted text>
You can also use Microsoft Publisher.
Marv

San Diego, CA

#7 Mar 25, 2009
Cabo wrote:
Has anyone tried printing directly on a CD/DVD using the prepackaged HP software? It is so limited that you can't even change the color or size of the font. If the photo that you print on the CD/DVD is dark in the area that the font has to go, then it's impossible to read what's written over the photo. I can't believe that HP has released such limited software for such a fine printer. Yes, I'm using version 3.5. HP doesn't seem to support 3d party CD/DVD print programs. I've tried but to no
avail. Has anyone found a 3d party printing program that works with either the 5500 or the 5580????? Other that that, I love the printer(s)!
There is a good one from Sure Thing. I tried it and it works. There are some neat labels. We use this program on our production printer.
Marv

San Diego, CA

#8 Mar 25, 2009
The product Sure Thing Dc/DVD Label
Works good and you get a 30 day trial.
We use the Program on our production printer.
Jerry

Eufaula, AL

#9 Mar 28, 2009
I have the C5580 All-in-one and it works just fine. If you are having problems printing a lable for a disc I would suggest that you download the latest version of the software for the HP Photosmart Essential... I think 3.5 is the one that you need.
Robert

Boise, ID

#10 Mar 29, 2009
I've had the 5580 a couple weeks now. I downloaded HP Photosmart Essential again, just now and it still is very lame. I downloaded SureThing 5 - 15 day test trial. When I get it set, the labels are great. Any background, even family pictures, any text or size and anyplace on the disk. as many text as you wish. It is all HP's is not. DOes anyone know of anything better before I buy SureThing next week.
touviere7

Glendora, CA

#11 Apr 3, 2009
can anyone confirm that sure thing will work with the HP 5580?
Robert

Boise, ID

#12 Apr 3, 2009
touviere7 wrote:
can anyone confirm that sure thing will work with the HP 5580?

I used SureThing 5 for thier 15 day free use. You could do that. It takes just a little getting used to but I bought the full package and registered an all. A hint: when your ready to print make sure you "select label template" to print to a cd. The selection is just below the tabs on the screen. Thelp on the program is easy to use
Robert

Boise, ID

#13 Apr 3, 2009
My reply dissapeared! again, Surething 5 has a fifteen day free trwal. I have bought the program now to use. Printed 10 disk with no problems
touviere7

Glendora, CA

#14 Apr 3, 2009
hi robert, thanks.
i'm very familiar with sure thing - great program - but i was double checking before buying the HP printer.
touviere7

Glendora, CA

#15 Apr 4, 2009
on page 45 of the manual for 5500/5580 that i downloaded online, i saw that remark:

NOTE: The HP All-in-One does not support a CD/DVD print job started from the
control panel. You must use the software that came with the HP All-in-One to print on
a CD/DVD. For more information, see the software help.

now, i'm wondering again if a dedicated software like sure thing will definitively work!!!
Robert

Boise, ID

#16 Apr 4, 2009
In 3 days I have printed 15 CD printables on the CD disk. If you want to see the results, I could send you a picture of the printouts, I have a spam address i could share on line. No I do not work for SureThing, I just want HP5580 owners to know there is something besides the junk program that came with printer.
KMo

Port Moody, Canada

#17 Apr 16, 2009
Hi Robert...I, too, have Surething, but mine is the Deluxe ver 5.0.581.0 with lighscribe technology (the lightscribe might be on all the Deluxe versions). The problem is the only template from HP that it will display for me is for the 5100 series. Do you have more template options on your copy?

Thanks
Robert

Boise, ID

#18 Apr 20, 2009
I ordered the disk and got version 5.1.614.0. It came with over 3000 backgrounds. If I select disk label, it only allows me to select the C5580 printer. Probably because this is the only printer I have capable of printing directly onto the disk. If I select label or insert, it will allow me to choose any of the 5 printers installed. On Lightscribe, this version will preview what it will look like on any of the current color disks. I like this very much.
kevin

Fort Campbell, TN

#19 Apr 26, 2009
im using a program called surething deluxe 5.1. it works great, there is a 15 day trail.
Cabo wrote:
Bill

Canada

#20 May 26, 2009
I appreciate the forum I was going to take my HP 5582 Back for a refund, now I can try the Sure thing5

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hewlett Packard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News HP to cut 11,000 to 16,000 more jobs (May '14) Jan 8 Raj 94
News Reward offered in rash of burglaries (Sep '09) Nov '16 nairy 41
Computer and laptop can't recognise HP Photosma... Aug '16 tamsin28 1
News A Look at the Linux Foundation's Collaborative ... Aug '16 Kevin 1
Have U ever thought of buying a hidden camera? (May '12) Jun '16 Jason 4
News Ted Cruz to name Carly Fiorina as VP (Apr '16) Apr '16 Cruz 2016 7
News Meet the Candidate: Carly Fiorina (May '15) Feb '16 Ritual Habitual 868
More from around the web