Zale pines for shoppers' love on Vale...

Zale pines for shoppers' love on Valentine's Day

There are 4 comments on the Reuters story from Feb 7, 2010, titled Zale pines for shoppers' love on Valentine's Day. In it, Reuters reports that:

U.S. jewelry chain Zale Corp must win back the love of its shoppers this Valentine's Day to stay afloat, but may not have the resources to do so.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

#1 Feb 8, 2010
i think its sad and bordering on criminal that after the mary forte fiasco zale allowed this man to loot this company and be rewarded for the damage. Zale is a wonderful company with great and dedicated employees but situations like this are simply disgraceful! Once again employees will suffer the consequences as the Goldbergs jet off to some exotic retirement haven.

Manchester, NH

#3 Feb 11, 2010
I'm a zales employee and am not surprised to read this. The Managers are so concerned about discounting that they are walking customers. I had a potential 1,800 sale on a mens ring the other day.....I offered 15% off. The woman said she'd take it if I could do 20% but my Manager refused! REALLY? It's these day to day bad decissions that are putting zales in the toilet! Note...our store dicount at the time is only 24% on average so there was room to work with this customer!

Manchester, NH

#4 Feb 11, 2010
I'm a zales employee and have witness so many bad business decissions that I am not surprised zales is in the toilet.
Bill Baglio

#5 Jun 23, 2010
I spend 39 years working for Zale Corporation. I retired in January 2008. I enjoyed working for the company but the last 10 years was a nightmare of changes. There is an old saying "don't fix it if it is not broken". The decision to bring in outsiders to run the different divisions is at the root of the companies downfall. Promoting within had been very successful for all the first 29 years I worked for the company. I cannot believe that the board of directors --directors Ha! Ha! has lead this company to the brink of disaster. I feel for all the people working now and it the past who have give their life to a wonderful company.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Zale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is This Jeweler Up For A Big Run? (Oct '14) Oct '14 greek21 2
News Most Successful Celebrity Designer Launching Fi... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Amberline 1
News Zales Announces Organizational Changes (Aug '07) Oct '10 ivyperson 7
News SEC to check Zale's books (Nov '09) Jan '10 Daytonly 3
News Starbucks, other stores seek rent cuts from lan... (Jun '09) Jun '09 store for rent 1
News Finlay's Acquisition from Zale Triples Number o... (Nov '07) Mar '09 Riva 3
News Zale sued over 'Love Rocks' campaign (Feb '09) Feb '09 Roland 1
More from around the web