Burger King may stop buying tomatoes from southwest Florida to avoid paying pickers more

Jan 15, 2008 Full story: International Herald Tribune

“If there weren't any problems for wages and working conditions, there wouldn't be any reason for them to turn elsewhere - or even look into turning elsewhere.”

MIAMI : Burger King is telling suppliers it may stop buying tomatoes from southwestern Florida, where farmworkers have fought to get the second-largest hamburger chain to pay more for its produce and help boost ... via International Herald Tribune

Full Story

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#1 Jan 16, 2008
When are they going to stop buying beef from Argentina???
Taco Grind

Atlanta, GA

#2 Jan 16, 2008
Never, why should they be told that THEY Have to buy from a select few? Ever heard of FREE MARKET?
Burger King can buy and or trade from anyone they so choose. Groucho AKA Falcon 68 and by the way I have a few old falcons in the yard one of the coolest cars from the 60's and I have a falcon wagon I'm guessing it is a 65 or 66 oh well.
Burger King should buy from whom ever they want, and if their customers don't like it then the consumer will go somewhere else. But I don't think that will happen. Life will go on and burgers will be eaten.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#3 Jan 17, 2008
Taco Grind wrote:
Never, why should they be told that THEY Have to buy from a select few? Ever heard of FREE MARKET?
Burger King can buy and or trade from anyone they so choose. Groucho AKA Falcon 68 and by the way I have a few old falcons in the yard one of the coolest cars from the 60's and I have a falcon wagon I'm guessing it is a 65 or 66 oh well.
Burger King should buy from whom ever they want, and if their customers don't like it then the consumer will go somewhere else. But I don't think that will happen. Life will go on and burgers will be eaten.
My problem is... That the average American consumer doesn't know where Burger King buys it's beef from... they don't bother to tell. Hell, I wouldn't have known if I didn't work in one back in the early 90's...
Taco Grind

Atlanta, GA

#4 Jan 17, 2008
I see your point well taken. But it is good tasting beef.
I have been down south to Argentina dove hunting on a neighbors 2,550,000 acres ranch. It really is a nice place to visit. But you would think that BK could buy cheaper beef state side. Although the Beef down their drink a lot cleaner water and grazes on thousands upon thousands of acres of grass that is never sprayed with any kind of chemicals. Some of the Beef never see man until they goto market. Just a thought.
Groucho AKA Falcon 68 wrote:
<quoted text>My problem is... That the average American consumer doesn't know where Burger King buys it's beef from... they don't bother to tell. Hell, I wouldn't have known if I didn't work in one back in the early 90's...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yum Brands Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
China seals McDonald's, KFC supplies after scandal Jul '14 RayH 1
McDonald's, KFC operations in China affected by... Jul '14 MatrixDecoder 3
Yum Brands' profits, forecasts up (Oct '06) Sep '13 Ballz Ez-Hari 3
Taco Bell drawn into meat scandal (Mar '13) Sep '13 Spirit67_ 47
Could YUM’s International business help offset ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 boonboon 1
U.S. Firms Mostly Shrug Off China's Slowing Growth (Jul '13) Jul '13 New China 2
Fast Food Companies Expect China Business to Re... (Jun '13) Jun '13 New China 1
•••

Yum Brands People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••