Next-door gas drilling upsets residents

Next-door gas drilling upsets residents

There are 68 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Nov 15, 2008, titled Next-door gas drilling upsets residents. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

Claudia Miller is frustrated that an oil and gas company accused of illegally drilling at night next to her home will go unpunished.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
oilfield proud

United States

#1 Nov 16, 2008
People have to realize that this is "oilfield country". The oilfield employs a large number of people, all of which contribute to the area economy. It may be inconvenient at times, but honestly, loss of sleep? Tell you what, run off the oilfield money and see how Farmington's economy does! People need to be tolerant of this and just realize that it is a part of this area.
cjjeepercreeper

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Nov 16, 2008
I am a firm believer in drilling, but this outside of what is acceptable. If companies are drilling in a residential area they should NOT be drilling at night, that's all there is to it. I live in the county north of Aztec and know what it is like to be kept awake night after night by the noise and lights. There ought to be severe penalties for violation of the ordinance, I only wish there were a county ordinance as well.

As for the destruction of the lot, yes, another pet peeve of mine when it comes to what are apparently some very inconsiderate drilling companies. I have seen once very scenic areas turned unnecessarily into moonscapes by the clearing of a vast area that should not need to be cleared. I don't know much about drilling, I know it is necessary, but clearing several acres of every living stick of vegetation seems to me to be overkill.

Drill, drill, drill, but don't do it at the expense of the well being of the public and the land you are drilling on.

Since: Oct 08

AOL

#3 Nov 16, 2008
When has "I didn't know I was violating the law" been an acceptable excuse that relieved you from a penalty? When has "I just do what they tell me" been an acceptable reason for violating a law?(This is probably one of the most irresponsible statements ever made publicly.)
Huh

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Nov 16, 2008
oilfield proud wrote:
People have to realize that this is "oilfield country". The oilfield employs a large number of people, all of which contribute to the area economy. It may be inconvenient at times, but honestly, loss of sleep? Tell you what, run off the oilfield money and see how Farmington's economy does! People need to be tolerant of this and just realize that it is a part of this area.
Does this mean ANYTHING GOES?

Do you honestly believe that companies that contribute substantially to the local economy should be able to operate however they please? That they should be able to ignore the law and standards to ensure that the environment is not ruined?

It's much cheaper to just ruin the environment, and many companies care only about their bottom line.
cjjeepercreeper

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Nov 16, 2008
FarmingtonObserver wrote:
When has "I didn't know I was violating the law" been an acceptable excuse that relieved you from a penalty? When has "I just do what they tell me" been an acceptable reason for violating a law?(This is probably one of the most irresponsible statements ever made publicly.)
Totally agree. Sandel ought to resign from the council or be recalled. Unreal.
Paladin

United States

#6 Nov 16, 2008
cjjeepercreeper i feel your pain, the lot your house is on was "once a very scenic area." "I don't know much about drilling," obviously. Visit one of the local drilling companies and politely ask them to explain why they need a certain amount of level land to drill a well on. People love to talk and when you leave maybe you won't have to say "I don't know much about drilling."
not anyone special

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Nov 16, 2008
FarmingtonObserver wrote:
Just like everything else in this town, it boils down to "WHO" your are and that's why it is an acceptable excuse or an acceptable reason to do whatever the hell you want. Geez, I want to be someone special so that I can break the law and not have to pay any penalty for it.
cjjeepercreeper

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Nov 16, 2008
Paladin wrote:
cjjeepercreeper i feel your pain, the lot your house is on was "once a very scenic area." "I don't know much about drilling," obviously. Visit one of the local drilling companies and politely ask them to explain why they need a certain amount of level land to drill a well on. People love to talk and when you leave maybe you won't have to say "I don't know much about drilling."
The land my house is on retained ALL of the natural vegetation except for the amount needed to actually put up the house. Nothing else was disturbed. So why can't the drilling companies operate like this. Yes, they need a certain amount of area, but they don't need to clear everything within sight, and then leave a mess. If you want to see a recent perfect example of this head out light plant road a couple miles past the Aztec city limit and turn left to the top of the ridge. Complete, utter and unnecessary destruction. And a total mess, even weeks later.
oilfield proud

United States

#9 Nov 16, 2008
You people need to take a look at what how these oil companies operate. BP for one, and i do not work for them, prides itself on taking care of the land and environment. All spills are quickly picked up and cleaned up. Yes, it is chaotic when drilling is going on and while drilling, but after the well is drilled, quite impressive clean up procedures are followed. Go to southern NM and see how some companies bury their waste on site! Everyone wants to complain, but you want cheaper prices! Do you think OPEC wants to cut us a deal? We have the resource right here and try to utilize it and then here come the tree huggers! Move to CA and pump your gas for your SUV and tell everyone that drilling is bad!
Just the facts

Rio Rancho, NM

#10 Nov 16, 2008
The company won't be punished because it is AFTER THE FACT!!! With this kind of logic, how would ANY law be inforced????
cjjeepercreeper

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Nov 16, 2008
oilfield proud wrote:
Move to CA and pump your gas for your SUV and tell everyone that drilling is bad!
Drilling is good, but the what some of the local companies get away with is BAD. I'm a huge proponent of wise use, have been a land use advocate for 20 years, was an editor for a major four wheeling mag for almost 9 years until this past June, so I know wise use when I see it, and also know ABUSE when I see it. Quit making excuses and do it right, we do (mostly) in the OHV world.
Judy

United States

#12 Nov 16, 2008
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you honestly believe that companies that contribute substantially to the local economy should be able to operate however they please? That they should be able to ignore the law and standards to ensure that the environment is not ruined?
It's much cheaper to just ruin the environment, and many companies care only about their bottom line.
Obviously you didn't live here in the late eighties when the bottom fell out of the oil industry. I was, it really brought this area down for quit some time.
50AMAX

United States

#13 Nov 16, 2008
Nothing has changed Aztec well service had more injuries and fatalities than ANY drilling company in the late eighties but Daddy Jerry had the rug picked up so he could hide it.Now it seems his son has all the excuses and tricks down, if he didn't know about this law it must not apply to him he is above the law he is a SANDEL!!!!!!!
not anyone special

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Nov 16, 2008
Judy wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you didn't live here in the late eighties when the bottom fell out of the oil industry. I was, it really brought this area down for quit some time.
So what you're saying is that it is ok for the oil companies to be free to do what they want just because they are big contributers to the economy?? NOT !!!!!!!
oilfield proud

United States

#15 Nov 16, 2008
I agree that what "some" companies do is wrong. Times are changing and safety is priority for "responsible" companies. I have never worked with Aztec Drilling, but I see a change taking place with the rigs I work with. In daily safety meetings, we are told to wear our seatbelts, work safe, stop the job if we see something wrong, and respect the citizens that we are around as we drive on their land! If this example is followed, I don't see any harm and feel that drilling is good. When a company sacrifices safety for profit and environment, I agree that it is bad. Most companies are coming along, and hope that the others follow suit to provide a happy medium.
Lynn Sweeney

Navajo Dam, NM

#16 Nov 16, 2008
When a person accepts a public office, such as city council representative, he/she takes on the responsiblity to set an example to the public of impecable behavior. This includes obeying the law of the land, especially those laws of the government that you serve. Ignorance of the law is no excuse fot the adverage citizen. This excuse should never be acceptable from a goverment official. Jason Sandel should voluntarily respign his seat on the city council. If he does not, the city should take action to remove him.
Just the facts

Rio Rancho, NM

#17 Nov 16, 2008
where was Mr. Sandel when this law was put into effect? I can't imagine the oil industry not having a FIT hen it was even memtioned they would not be able to drill at night inside the city limits. Now he says he was not aware!!! Ignorance of the law is no excuse!! Gosh Oficer, I didn't know I was required to stop at stop signs!!!!!!!!
Fred

United States

#18 Nov 16, 2008
Burnham should resign - his ignorance doesn't cut it. I find it incomprehensible that he doesn't understand the legal responsibilities of the city in overseeing the action they permit.
lll

United States

#19 Nov 16, 2008
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical liberal always squawking about something they know absolutely nothing about
New Mexico Overseer

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Nov 16, 2008
Sounds like a Extreme environmentalist cheerleaders
try out--bet they all voted for Obama, Udall and
Lujan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

XTO Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Industry Touts Major Mancos Shale Play: Estimat... (Mar '13) Mar '13 John Ford 1
News Bob Simpson buying Fort Worth Public Market Bui... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Dwight Baker 1
News Exxon CEO: Power generation is best hope for na... (May '12) Jun '12 Northie 11
News Alaska: 6,300 Gallon Spill at XTO Nikiski Facility (Jan '12) Jan '12 Dwight Baker 1
News Four Corners gets hub connection (Mar '11) Mar '11 Skyking 15
News XTO Energy well is tops in county [11:20 a.m.] (Feb '11) Feb '11 SamIAm 2
News Pa. investigating spill at natural gas well site (Nov '10) Feb '11 penn native 2
More from around the web