Farmington: Gas well fence broke law

Farmington: Gas well fence broke law

There are 46 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Aug 12, 2009, titled Farmington: Gas well fence broke law. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

Two oil and gas companies allegedly allowed a fence to be built illegally around their natural gas wells, blocking a man from accessing his property.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Good Grief

Farmington, NM

#1 Aug 12, 2009
You know darn well the city won't do anything about it. The mayor and some of his staff have been paid under the table by ignoring the problem since the fence has been there for a long time. Mary Fischer has a good solution, punish them. Oil field companies seemed to do whatever they want because they have the money to back them up.
Really

Bartlesville, OK

#2 Aug 12, 2009
THATS RIGHT FOLKS LETS PENALIZE THE OIL AND GAS COMPANIES MORE AND THEN CRY CRY CRY BECAUSE THE PRICE GOES HIGHER. SMART REAL SMART.

Since: Jul 09

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Aug 12, 2009
Drive through the dam fence, then go after the company for damage to the car.
Just Me

Odessa, TX

#4 Aug 12, 2009
It really angers me to hear alot of people wanting to "punish" the oil & gas industry in San Juan county! I believe the industy has been "punished" enough from the "change". I hear people down talking the industry but than enjoy or benefit from the dollars the industry puts back into the county. Think it through....
Just Me

Odessa, TX

#5 Aug 12, 2009
LOUD PIPES wrote:
Drive through the dam fence, then go after the company for damage to the car.
Then get arrested for trespassing!!!
dogood

Farmington, NM

#6 Aug 12, 2009
So I guess some of you think the Oil field companies have more rights than the individual citizen? Is that correct. Well the East Indian Tea Company once had more rights than individual citizens....and then the real Americans had a real Tea Party. Not some whiny complain fest about how horrible the multi-billion dollar oil company had to respect the rights of the property owner.
Here It Is

Tulsa, OK

#7 Aug 12, 2009
Really wrote:
THATS RIGHT FOLKS LETS PENALIZE THE OIL AND GAS COMPANIES MORE AND THEN CRY CRY CRY BECAUSE THE PRICE GOES HIGHER. SMART REAL SMART.
Thank you! Furthermore, maybe if there were more "illegal" fences, fewer stupid people would cause fewer stupid accidents around wellsites.

People, you live in the San Juan Basin, everything here is affected by the Oil & Gas Industry. If we chase out the oilfield, we all might as well leave!
whatdouexpect

Rio Rancho, NM

#8 Aug 12, 2009
You know... they had to build the fence to protect themselves from the people who have no business around a well sight. But now the oil companies can't protect themselves from a law suit because some body uses an oil field road and a well sight to access their property? I am sure if the oil companies had been contacted there could have been arrangments made.... blade a trail around the perimeter of the fence, move one side of the fence in a few feet so a truck could drive by... something. But for all the greedy backwood idiots remember... the oil companies are trying to protect themselves from million dollar law suits when foolish people hurt or kill themselves around oil/gas wells and equipment.
Just Me

Odessa, TX

#9 Aug 12, 2009
dogood wrote:
So I guess some of you think the Oil field companies have more rights than the individual citizen? Is that correct. Well the East Indian Tea Company once had more rights than individual citizens....and then the real Americans had a real Tea Party. Not some whiny complain fest about how horrible the multi-billion dollar oil company had to respect the rights of the property owner.
Nothing was stated about rights. Alot of the respectable companies do go out of their way to accomodate property owners. If the property owner has mineral rights, well guess what, the companies have to pay them royalties.

I guess we can keep drilling overseas, keep the jobs over there....
Just Me

Odessa, TX

#10 Aug 12, 2009
whatdouexpect wrote:
You know... they had to build the fence to protect themselves from the people who have no business around a well sight. But now the oil companies can't protect themselves from a law suit because some body uses an oil field road and a well sight to access their property? I am sure if the oil companies had been contacted there could have been arrangments made.... blade a trail around the perimeter of the fence, move one side of the fence in a few feet so a truck could drive by... something. But for all the greedy backwood idiots remember... the oil companies are trying to protect themselves from million dollar law suits when foolish people hurt or kill themselves around oil/gas wells and equipment.
You said it all!
Where to start

Houston, TX

#11 Aug 12, 2009
I don't know where to even start. Well here we go.
1st-Energen rushed to install a fence around a well-site to prevent drunk-stoned teenagers from backing to the wellhead and blowing themselves up.
2nd-what a nit-pickin issue to put on the front page of the paper.

Facts-1st- well was established in 1980 when the site was WAY out of the city limits and no were near any property. 2nd-wthout the fence, you would have people driving within 30' of a natural gas containing(which is explosive by the way)equipment.

THEY DID IT AS A REASONABLE SAFETY MEASURE. what are you people whinnnnnning about.

The Four Corners is not an OIL and GAS Industry---Its a Natural gas industry, which has nothing to do with gasoline. Natural gas is the fuel that you burn in your HOMES for hot water and to cook, it is also the fuel that powers the City.

The Natural Gas industy pays for the entire educational budget for the State of New Mexico.

The major energy companies that operate here and else where have enourmous budgets and profits because of the enourmous operating costs.

Stop bitchin and do something-
Invent a aboundent free energy source available to the whole world.

What are you doing instead of complaining, and if all you have to complain about is a safety fence around a well site then you must have a wonderful life were the sky is always blue, people live forever and people don't kill people.
Here It Is

Tulsa, OK

#12 Aug 12, 2009
Where to start wrote:
I don't know where to even start. Well here we go.
1st-Energen rushed to install a fence around a well-site to prevent drunk-stoned teenagers from backing to the wellhead and blowing themselves up.
2nd-what a nit-pickin issue to put on the front page of the paper.
Facts-1st- well was established in 1980 when the site was WAY out of the city limits and no were near any property. 2nd-wthout the fence, you would have people driving within 30' of a natural gas containing(which is explosive by the way)equipment.
THEY DID IT AS A REASONABLE SAFETY MEASURE. what are you people whinnnnnning about.
The Four Corners is not an OIL and GAS Industry---Its a Natural gas industry, which has nothing to do with gasoline. Natural gas is the fuel that you burn in your HOMES for hot water and to cook, it is also the fuel that powers the City.
The Natural Gas industy pays for the entire educational budget for the State of New Mexico.
The major energy companies that operate here and else where have enourmous budgets and profits because of the enourmous operating costs.
Stop bitchin and do something-
Invent a aboundent free energy source available to the whole world.
What are you doing instead of complaining, and if all you have to complain about is a safety fence around a well site then you must have a wonderful life were the sky is always blue, people live forever and people don't kill people.
Well Said!
What-he-said

Houston, TX

#13 Aug 12, 2009
Thank you for putting it into perspective.
mtnbkr

Denver, CO

#14 Aug 12, 2009
They whine if there is not a fence.
They whine if there is a fence.
Did you see how nice the fence was? I would thank the company who built such a nice fence. I live in North Foothills and the only thing we get is a matching green fence.
TheSouthSucks

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Aug 12, 2009
Notice the sheep in this forum who are from Texas and Oklahoma, are the advocates of oil and gas? And the native NM residents who are fed up with oil and gas infractions, are the ones speaking up against this redneck industry?
Just Me

Odessa, TX

#16 Aug 12, 2009
TheSouthSucks wrote:
Notice the sheep in this forum who are from Texas and Oklahoma, are the advocates of oil and gas? And the native NM residents who are fed up with oil and gas infractions, are the ones speaking up against this redneck industry?
I was born, raised & still proud to live in NM. I am not fed up with the oil & gas infractions as I am more fed up with the people who drive up the cost to produce petroleum products. Think of all the other products produced with petroleum.
And by the way, I am a redneck & proud to work in the industry.
Your stupid

Houston, TX

#17 Aug 12, 2009
TheSouthSucks wrote:
The location is an indication of the internet host. It has nothing to do with were the person is actually at. I'm sitting here here in Farmington and my location is posted as Houston, because of the internet service hub.

You are the stupidest person I have ever run across in the Forum. Did you really think all these people from other cities across the citiy are on the Daily-times Forum???????
So did you--did you??????????

Turn on the TV and rub one out while watching Obama on CNN.
Infractions

Houston, TX

#18 Aug 12, 2009
TheSouthSucks wrote:
Infractions huh? They put up a fence around a naturaL gas location to protect the public and prevent people from driving through it.

Are you that much hopped up on the Cole-Aide?
Way to think for yourself and not just jump on the anti-oil and gas industry band wagon.

But wait the anti-energy force is at full force because of gasoline prices which were driven up by Financial Instatutions that by and sell, Merrill Lynch. And they Global Warming issue which is targeted at oil companies and coal.

The Four Corners Basin produces Natural Gas. Natural Gas is the cleanest and cheapest energy source we currently have that has least negative impact.

Put up wind mills, takes a lot of land and is an eye sore to people who have then put them in near them.

Here's a fact to think about idiots. An natural gas company was forced to turn their natural gas powered engine in to electric power engines.
Less noise, a little less pollution at the wellsite(remember, we all have pilot lites burning at our house year round that burn natural gas).
Ok, were do think they had to get the electricity?
From the Coal power plants. Lets talk about pollution.

People in this area or state need to understand the Naural gas industry is not the same as the oil industry.

Natural gas is one of the answers, a clean aboundand resource that can be used if it wasn't grouped into the stereo type with gasoline.

Get the FACTS. Then comment anyway you want. You look like a 5 year old who watches and recycle what ever is popular for that day.
mtnbkr

Denver, CO

#19 Aug 12, 2009
TheSouthSucks wrote:
And you are an absolute idiot. Have you noticed that Farmington has the highest unemployment rate in the State of New Mexico? Why? Because libs such as Richardson, Udall, Lujan and Prophet Obama are doing every thing they can to shut the oil and gas industry down. The oil and gas industry is the backbone of our economy here. Get a clue and a life clown!!!
mtnbkr

Denver, CO

#20 Aug 12, 2009
Your stupid wrote:
<quoted text>
The location is an indication of the internet host. It has nothing to do with were the person is actually at. I'm sitting here here in Farmington and my location is posted as Houston, because of the internet service hub.
You are the stupidest person I have ever run across in the Forum. Did you really think all these people from other cities across the citiy are on the Daily-times Forum???????
So did you--did you??????????
Turn on the TV and rub one out while watching Obama on CNN.
Thank You. And you could not pay me to watch CNN and it's liberal puppets. Rick Sanchez is the most biased reporter I have ever witnessed. Yellow journalism at its best.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

XTO Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Industry Touts Major Mancos Shale Play: Estimat... (Mar '13) Mar '13 John Ford 1
News Bob Simpson buying Fort Worth Public Market Bui... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Dwight Baker 1
News Exxon CEO: Power generation is best hope for na... (May '12) Jun '12 Northie 11
News Alaska: 6,300 Gallon Spill at XTO Nikiski Facility (Jan '12) Jan '12 Dwight Baker 1
News Four Corners gets hub connection (Mar '11) Mar '11 Skyking 15
News XTO Energy well is tops in county [11:20 a.m.] (Feb '11) Feb '11 SamIAm 2
News Pa. investigating spill at natural gas well site (Nov '10) Feb '11 penn native 2
More from around the web