How happy are Xerox Retirees with the...

How happy are Xerox Retirees with their company?

Created by ExTechRep on Oct 3, 2008

970 votes

Click on an option to vote

Extremely Happy

Very Happy

Pretty Happy

Happy

Not Too Happy

Not at all Happy

Angry

Very Angry

Hate it

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Barney Shapiro

AOL

#1 Oct 5, 2008
This is a sad day in the history of Xerox who was always very people oriented as opposed to other companies. I have worked for Xerox for 38 years. All that time I was proud to be an employee that was highly respected with terrific work ethics. Now that I am retired I find it difficult to believe that the company is elimating medical allowances for retires who devoted majors years to helping Xerox to become successful. Xerox always stood out as a diverse company who respected ex/retired employees. Sadly it looks like the Xerox has turned the other cheek and decided to reduce retire benefits to save mony rather then look for ways of increasing profits. My hope is that some day Xerox will return to its orginal charter ie people oriented and help retires that have worked and supported Xerox for many years.
Roy Roberts

Lafayette, IN

#2 Oct 21, 2008
Barney Shapiro wrote:
This is a sad day in the history of Xerox who was always very people oriented as opposed to other companies. I have worked for Xerox for 38 years. All that time I was proud to be an employee that was highly respected with terrific work ethics. Now that I am retired I find it difficult to believe that the company is elimating medical allowances for retires who devoted majors years to helping Xerox to become successful. Xerox always stood out as a diverse company who respected ex/retired employees. Sadly it looks like the Xerox has turned the other cheek and decided to reduce retire benefits to save mony rather then look for ways of increasing profits. My hope is that some day Xerox will return to its orginal charter ie people oriented and help retires that have worked and supported Xerox for many years.
I also can't believe it! Each year, there is a major takaway. I had to get a job with another company so I could get affordable health coverage. Xerox dropped the out of pocket maximum for 2008 now they are dropping the $1000 flexible spending for those of us who have other coverage and opt out of Xerox coverage and now in 2009, I turn medicare age mid year and it looks like I will not be able to count on Xerox medical for my supplemental coverage. 31 years of "Dedicated Service" my retirement plaque says. Where is the dedication from Xerox? Couldn't this be a basis for a class action lawsuit?
Eric Liongson

Canyon Country, CA

#3 Oct 29, 2008
Join us at ARXE to fight for what we earned as a Xerox retiree. Active employees join us also to protect your future benefits.
Are you one of the nearly 30,000 Xerox retirees in any of the three Xerox retiree plans?? Are you a member of ARXE?? Over 2400 of your fellow Xerox retirees from all three of the Xerox retirement plans have joined The Association of Retired Xerox Employees, Inc. since it was formed in 2003.
The Association is an educational and advocacy group focused on promoting equitable retiree benefits from the company that we all helped to become an ongoing success. ARXE is a volunteer run, not-for-profit Corporation and has no formal affiliation with Xerox Corporation or it’s subsidiaries. Membership is open to all Xerox retirees, surviving spouses, and retirement eligible Xerox employees who are preparing for retirement, and retirement eligible Xerox employees who are on salary continuance.
Retirees, especially pre-1995 long service retirees who ended up in the Flex Plan have strong opinions about the company and in particular, our retiree medical benefits. During your career, Xerox went from a leading edge, forward thinking company focused on excellence, to a corporate follower who looked at others to see what they were doing, and did a lot of talking about excellence. Our company has changed a lot and as retirees we are less important with each passing year. ARXE exists to keep the company aware of all retirees and to advocate on all of our behalf’s for maintenance of our long earned benefits.
In the 5 years it was in place, we conservatively estimate that it saved retirees and their spouses $8000. This benefit went to all Flex Retirees, not just ARXE members.
Xerox currently applies the CMS Medicare subsidy paid to the company for providing the Old Plan coverage to the Flex Plan benefits. This amounted to about $800 per couple in each of the past two years (2007 & 2008). Most other companies have been taking this money to the bottom line to benefit the shareholders and not the retirees.
The future of all of our plans is uncertain and far from guaranteed. We can continue to encourage the company to make positive changes and challenge the company when they move to negatively impact our benefits. We can stay vigilant and work to ensure that the company doesn’t find an easy way to reduce the current benefits. This is where your membership in ARXE is important. There are thousands of our colleagues who need to hear about ARXE and what we are all about. Building a large representative retiree force increases our effectiveness in meeting Xerox head-on as issues start to develop and it provides all of us with a platform that can be used to protect our interests. I believe that the stakes are too high for all of us to not get involved.
Solidarity.... We are all united in our mission. We seek to protect older plan benefits and regain equitable Flex Plan benefits utilizing constructive dialogue with the Company, and when necessary through objective protesting and public discourse to get the Company's attention. The current premium "adjustment" that all Flex Plan retirees receive is a result of our collective efforts.
Website.... Our website is a valuable source of information for our members. We work to provide important benefits information, news information, guidance and educational materials, retiree discount programs, and legislative alerts/ activism. It includes a Search function that allows members to search the entire website.
Email Communication.... ARXE issues regular email communications to all active members covering news, events and activities of importance to our members.
Go to the ARXE website at www.arxe.org and register to become a member today.
Dave Coriale, Chairman
Eric Liongson

Canyon Country, CA

#4 Oct 29, 2008
Please join us to fight for our earned rights.

Are you one of the nearly 30,000 Xerox retirees in any of the three Xerox retiree plans?? Are you a member of ARXE?? Over 2400 of your fellow Xerox retirees from all three of the Xerox retirement plans have joined The Association of Retired Xerox Employees, Inc. since it was formed in 2003.
This is a numbers game and our ability to influence Xerox's decision process is dependent on having the greatest number of retirees involved in the Association.

In the coming months many critical decisions will be made regarding our benefits. You need to be involved! Go to the ARXE website at www.arxe.org and register to become a member today.

Dave Coriale, Chairman
Lisa

Salt Lake City, UT

#5 Nov 10, 2008
Boo hoo!!! So what you've spent 40 years working for a company!!! You all are lucky to even be offered retirement benefits at all!!! Especially in this economy... So stop whinning and be GRATEFUL for what you have!!!
Oldasdirt

Covington, LA

#6 Nov 13, 2008
After 35 years of service many of which included countless hours of uncompensated work Xerox is sticking it to me again. Effective 1/1/2010 all support for my insurance is going away. Every year I have watched them take away more and more while the fat cats on the board keep lining their pockets an reinforcing their golden parachutes. To make matters worse some retirees are being treated different than others. This should be illegal ! During all those early years we were led to believe Xerox would take care of those who hung with the company and in effect helped build Xerox from the ground up and now we are being tossed aside with the trash. They didn't have the guts to do it while some of us we young enough to go out and find an alternative to losing Xerox support. They waited until a lot of us were old enough that we really needed their insurance support and were a bit to old o go back to work and make other arrangements then jerked the rug out from under us. Sleep well Anne and the rest of the board !!!
Carl

Englewood, CO

#7 Nov 13, 2008
>>>>years of "Dedicated Service" my retirement plaque says.<<<
I'm gonna burn mine. Piece of worthless meaningless junk. If they appreciated us they wouldn't treat us like this.
Ralph

Moultrie, GA

#8 Nov 14, 2008
Thanks for giving me a place to spend so many days and nights working to grow XEROX. I was glad to do it. Sorry I got too old to keep up the pace after 34 years. Perhaps someother sap can give up their time with their family, ruin their knees and just fade quitely into the night. Perhaps if I had gotten $800,000 a year for spending less than a year working for the company I would feel better....
Dave

Charlotte, NC

#9 Nov 15, 2008
Xerox upper management robbed the company of assets that would have gone a long way to cover retiree benefits. Maybe they should be investigated to see how they got away with fattening their pot while destroying ours. I feel sorry for the poor %^&&$$ that are still working there.
IPfreely

Hamilton, Canada

#10 Nov 18, 2008
Please also join xrx-unite.com to help the cause.
Mr Lee

Canyon Country, CA

#11 Nov 22, 2008
We are saying that subsidized retiree healthcare was an obligation to be paid by corporations, forever. The retiree healthcare benefit was not a gift from benevolent management. The retiree healthcare subsidy was earned by the employee's loyalty, hard work, reduced wages, and fewer vacation/holidays.

Support HR 1322, send your letter to Congress.

See more information at: http://www.protectseniors.org/

Terry

Thousand Oaks, CA

#12 Nov 26, 2008
"Boo hoo!!! So what you've spent 40 years working for a company!!! You all are lucky to even be offered retirement benefits at all!!! "

Nice, but now for the rest of the story. We had the option of haveing our medical coverage mostly paid for between age 55-65 if we opted for no coverage at age 65 or paying most of the bill ourselves in exchange for a life time of medical coverage. Most of us ( like me ) chose to foot the bill in exchange for that post 65 coverage. NOW the company says its all gone. When I submitted a complaint pointing out that they took about $5000 from me for nothing over the years the company chose to ignore me. So much for 40 years.
Matt

AOL

#13 Dec 28, 2008
Dear President elect Obama and Vice President elect Biden,

We voted and campaigned for you and congratulate you both. We are confident you have America’s middle class at heart. Your polices will determine our future voting, however we fear you have made a mistake selecting Anne Mulchey, CEO of Xerox, to your economic team.

My wife and I along with 30,000 other middle class employees retired from Xerox with over 30 years of dedicated service were promised retirement benefits when we retired. Ann Mulchey CEO of Xerox has completely eliminated funding for promised health care benefits for all 30,000 retired employees and 50,000 future retirees.

Anne Mulchey enjoyed a 22% increase in salary for performance as CEO in 2008. Xerox has repurchased 4.5 billion dollars of their stock, paid down debt, annual revenue growth was 8.4% and net income is 6.2%. This action to eliminate promised health care benefits of elderly retired 30 year plus employees who can least afford and plan for is purely corporate greed and unjustified.

Letters to Anne Mulchey asking her to reverse this change in promised benefits have received no replies. Please convey the hardship Ann Mulchey has inflicted on Xerox retirees and request she permanently reverse her decision eliminating funding for Xerox retirees promised health benefits they worked their entire lives for. I sending this request to every one on your committee and others who may come in contact with Anne Mulchey, including government representatives, public media, present and retired Xerox employees.

Your view in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
CARELL

Imperial, CA

#14 Jan 6, 2009
HOW CAN A COMPANY TAKE AWAY A BENEFIT WHICH IS PART OF YOUR RETIREMENT PACKAGE? IS THIS NOT A CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION THAT XEROX IS REQUIRED TO HONOUR?
Mr Xerox Retiree

Santee, CA

#15 Jan 8, 2009
Calling all Xerox Retirees!!!

It is time to review our retirement papers and get our lawyer to pursue a class action case.
Cliff

Pahrump, NV

#16 Jan 13, 2009
Apparently I didn't read "Whats New" in my enrollment guide for 2009. My retiree benefit for rest of my life ( I was told)would be $2000 and never go up. During enrollment time if you didn't make any changes or do anything, every thing would be the same as last year. I've done it that way since I got the $2000. Well I sure got a surprise when they took it away.. ZIP nothing. 32 years and I'm out here looking in. I called and was told I should have read a letter that was sent out in Sept. Sorry. Thanks goodbye
Eric

Canyon Country, CA

#17 Feb 18, 2009
We will not just sit down and do nothing. Join us at www.arxe.org

All Xerox retirees on the "Old Plan" and the "New Plan" are not safe, they did it on the "Flex Plan", you could be next.

Present tenured employees who will be taking the VRIF in the very near future, you are all welcome to join us!!!
Eric

Canyon Country, CA

#18 Mar 14, 2009
Barry Rand, 64 years old, a retired Xerox Corp executive to head AARP.

Will you join us in our fight to get our post 65 medical coverage with Xerox Corporation????

Per may last communication with AARP, they have not taken a stand regarding HR1322. See the letter from AARP next posting.
Eric

Delano, CA

#19 Apr 28, 2009
Thank you for contacting AARP about H.R. 1322, the Emergency Retiree Health Benefits Protection Act of 2007, introduced by Rep. John Tierney (D-MA). We appreciate hearing from you.

Expanding and protecting health benefits for retired workers is an important portion of AARP's work in the nation's capital. This work is part of our broader goal of ensuring adequate health care coverage for everyone. AARP supports policies that encourage employers to provide healthcare coverage to retirees. We believe it is also crucial that former workers continue to receive the benefits they have been promised.

Under the healthcare system in the United States, employers voluntarily choose to provide and to maintain healthcare benefits for their retired workers without any requirement to do so. In recent years, fewer employers are choosing to offer retiree health benefits due to the steep upward rise in healthcare costs. In 1988, 66% of large employers offered some level of health benefits to retirees. By 2006, that percentage had dropped to 35% of large employers. Only 9% of small employers offered retiree coverage in 2006. Measures that would help contain healthcare costs also help preserve retiree health benefits.

AARP is concerned that, as fewer employers offer retiree health coverage to employees retiring in the future, or as they reduce the quality and amount of such benefits, the number of uninsured retirees will increase, especially among those not yet eligible for Medicare.

H.R. 1322, the Emergency Retiree Health Benefits Protection Act of 2005, would prevent employers from reducing benefits or ending coverage for current retirees. The bill would also require retiree health plans to restore benefits for retirees after terminating or reducing coverage. Such legislation could arrest the current downward trend. On the other hand, some policy experts are concerned that H.R. 1322 would act as a short-term incentive for additional employers to end offering health plans to future retirees.

And because providing retiree health benefits is voluntary, additional employers may be deterred from establishing new plans, or plans with meaningful benefits, if there would be no opportunity to alter such plans once H.R.1332 passed into law.(The bill is currently in committee.) So AARP has taken no position on H.R.1332. At the same time, we are supporting numerous efforts to reduce overall healthcare costs. If costs are brought under control, employers can feel more confident about offering retiree health plans

For over a decade, AARP has worked with Congress, the regulatory agencies, and the courts to protect retiree health benefits. We will continue to support legislation that would encourage employers to set up and to maintain meaningful retiree health plans.

Without universal healthcare coverage, however, the voluntary nature of our employer-based system will always be the principle constraint upon what can be achieved legislatively. Arriving at good policy results is often a slow process.

Thank you again for contacting us. We value your opinion. I hope the information about AARP's focus on retiree health benefits is reassuring. If we can be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

June Member Communications [email protected]
Walt

Austin, TX

#20 May 7, 2009
It is more than upsetting to devote so many years to a company working towards a personal goal with committments from that company being part of the goal for retirement and then have them pull them from you after retirement. You can no longer pursue other options for replacement without directly and significantly impacting your retirement.

This becomes even more upsetting when you see those that have made those decisions to take those benefits away get rediculously high salaries and bonus programs that would almost pay for what the retirees lost in total. Especially when the explanation given is that the company is not doing well financially. Obviously the Xerox family is limited to the executives of the corporation who are intested in taking care of themselves over everything else. Recent financial analysts also indicate that the performance of those executives is so bad for the business and the corporation that they as the responsible leaders should resign.

Well, I second that recommendation, and they should do so without any separation package and no future benefits. Further, the SEC should investigate them for improprieties and if found guilty they should be fined and serve jail time. They have fleeced the committed benefits from the retirees and also the investors to their personal gain.

For those active in AXRE, stand the ground and keep up the pressure on the board. For those reluctant to join or dragging your feet, you and your fellow Xerox retired family needs you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xerox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Xerox 6360 brand new price? Aug 1 Atlanta Puppeteer 2
xerox 6024 plotter (Sep '16) Sep '16 tony 1
Electo Imaging Systems is corupt (Jun '16) Jun '16 Insider 1
Xerox wrencher (Apr '16) Apr '16 Poner 1
error 024-360 Xerox workcentre 7328 (Jan '16) Jan '16 pakwood 1
News Xerox CEO Ursula Burns is getting a raise (Apr '10) May '15 Will 31
News Laura Bush, Rob Lowe, Kim Kardashian added to W... (Aug '10) Feb '15 Ronald 17
More from around the web