Scaryone

Ottawa, Canada

#6786 Mar 3, 2011
south of detroit wrote:
I have posted many times and it kills me to see hostility on either side of the border. Of course when comments are made by a citizen of one country against another individual or group of individuals, the result is a counter attack.
I am not defending corporations for their underhanded practices nor our governments for their reactions that are either completely out or left field or way to slow, but when
Obama spoke about a Buy American plan it was not with intention to hurt other
economies. I as an American am for buying
American and will not purchase items made
from anywhere outside North America if I can
avoid it. I consider the economy and the
manufacturing in Canada to be just as
important and choose to also support my
neighbor. Free trade agreements meant to
equalize opportunities for companies around
the world has created an impossible
scenario. Many American corporations
outsourced 100% of their manufacturing jobs
eventually followed by their customer
support. I understand the necessity of
companies to adapt to a global marketplace
but what they don't understand is that they
need to manufacture where they sell. The
same goes for the steel market. Again I
have no problem with Canadians, the steel
used in Canada should be the product of
Canada supporting those workers while the
steel produced in the US should go to
support workers in the US. What I don't
understand is why university and collegiate
business courses teach mainly the benefits
of increasing profits and focus very little on
the benefits of ethical practice. As gas prices
rise again I fear for the upcoming months
and the economical price we will all have to
pay. Good Luck to all steelworkers on both
sides of the border.
I must say that is one great posting. I'm a member of USW Local 1005 locked out of US Steal Canada since Nov. 7 2010. I will say I was not a fan of the buy America until I read this and you put it in perspective. Now if we can all work together on both sides of the border to get the big company's to listen. Canadian steel for Canada and American steel for America.
whatever

Wyandotte, MI

#6787 Mar 4, 2011
drove by the stinson and the lot was full are they hiring? or are these contractors. All shops are really hurting for help.
looney

River Rouge, MI

#6788 Mar 5, 2011
they are hiring you have apply on-line from there website. Good luck if you try for a job.
question

New Baltimore, MI

#6789 Mar 7, 2011
i applied for utility person back in december and haven't heard anything back. Have they stopped bringing new people in or ?
Louie

Duluth, MN

#6790 Mar 7, 2011
First off, I am sympathetic to our fellow brothers & sisters in Canada and those whom haven't been back to work, and those with unsettled grievances.

Secondly, I must say that this sight used to be a useful place for those of us in various plants to keep in touch and share info. This was a useful sight during the layoffs until a bunch of bashing took place. And now, here we go again with more bashing on other topics.

Please people, we are ALL supposed to be on the same team whether you're in Canada, Iron Range, or out West or where ever!!! Let us try to keep this a useful site with useful information. All this bashing turns people away and is just what the company likes to see, everyone argueing, solidarity in the toilet.

Lastly, a positive update from the Iron Range: Keetac is still looking at re-starting an ideled line. Permitting is in process. Minntac is re-routing a county road so that it may expand it's pits. So far both places have been supplying pellets at full capacity. There has also been a lot of maintance at both plants.

At this time, this should be good news for us, hopefully it keeps that way. But with the price of gas rising, let's hope we don't stall out.

On just a rumor note, based on current orders, rumor has it we should be profitable last 2 quarters. Again this is only rumor, I'll believe it when I see it.

Well that's all folks
Sarah

Flat Rock, MI

#6791 Mar 7, 2011
This week at the Stinson there are 16 brand new hires - next week there will be between 16-20 new hires
Word from the hall
KeeTac Maint

Chanhassen, MN

#6792 Mar 7, 2011
Louie wrote:
First off, I am sympathetic to our fellow brothers & sisters in Canada and those whom haven't been back to work, and those with unsettled grievances.
Secondly, I must say that this sight used to be a useful place for those of us in various plants to keep in touch and share info. This was a useful sight during the layoffs until a bunch of bashing took place. And now, here we go again with more bashing on other topics.
Please people, we are ALL supposed to be on the same team whether you're in Canada, Iron Range, or out West or where ever!!! Let us try to keep this a useful site with useful information. All this bashing turns people away and is just what the company likes to see, everyone argueing, solidarity in the toilet.
Lastly, a positive update from the Iron Range: Keetac is still looking at re-starting an ideled line. Permitting is in process. Minntac is re-routing a county road so that it may expand it's pits. So far both places have been supplying pellets at full capacity. There has also been a lot of maintance at both plants.
At this time, this should be good news for us, hopefully it keeps that way. But with the price of gas rising, let's hope we don't stall out.
On just a rumor note, based on current orders, rumor has it we should be profitable last 2 quarters. Again this is only rumor, I'll believe it when I see it.
Well that's all folks
Well said!
larry

AOL

#6793 Mar 10, 2011
can anyone tell me what to expect on the test for mechanical maintance tech job?
Led Zepplin

Dundas, Canada

#6794 Mar 18, 2011
Say what wrote:
And what are you here to say that your precious Canada helped us. Really? How many of your family died in WWI WWII Vietnam Iraq Afghanistan I can probably answer that for you NONE
Are you for real ? You know nothing about the world or history. I realize that your world is the good o'l USA and your clueless beyond that. Canada entered WW1 & WW2 right from the get go. The USA was Johnny come lately for both wars. By the way my grandfather was in the Air Force during WW2 and he joked that when the Germans bombed the Allies ducked. But when the Americans bombed everyone ducked. Lol
whatever

Wyandotte, MI

#6796 Mar 18, 2011
man the great lakes work are so short handed, rumor s they are getting rid of contractors to make this outage happen everyone is involved in the outage hands on that is so they are gonna have to do something fast they need people
lew slave

Canada

#6797 Mar 18, 2011
Led Zepplin wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you for real ? You know nothing about the world or history. I realize that your world is the good o'l USA and your clueless beyond that. Canada entered WW1 & WW2 right from the get go. The USA was Johnny come lately for both wars. By the way my grandfather was in the Air Force during WW2 and he joked that when the Germans bombed the Allies ducked. But when the Americans bombed everyone ducked. Lol
who cares who did what to who? Let's not let our opinion of USS be directed at Americans as a whole. We are all union brothers and sisters and our enemy is the company not our fellow members down south. The american plants get treated the same as us here in Canada. Like total garbage.
Rob Gower

Simcoe, Canada

#6798 Mar 18, 2011
I love the US Steel way of doing things, Im making a killing down here in Hamilton. Just no booze lol
Ironworker

Ancaster, Canada

#6799 Mar 18, 2011
Rob Gower wrote:
I love the US Steel way of doing things, Im making a killing down here in Hamilton. Just no booze lol
....you call yourself a Canadian....your a Disgrace to your Country!
Fresh Fish

Trenton, MI

#6800 Mar 19, 2011
whatever wrote:
man the great lakes work are so short handed, rumor s they are getting rid of contractors to make this outage happen everyone is involved in the outage hands on that is so they are gonna have to do something fast they need people
Hello whatever, what is an "outage"? And I applied back in Dec. do you know if they're still hiring?
clem

Hamilton, Canada

#6801 Mar 19, 2011
Go Pitt.........LOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSS EEERRR
Mike1

Hamilton, Canada

#6802 Mar 23, 2011
U. S. Steel president gets $8.6m raise
U. S. Steel president John Surma got a raise from $3.5 million in 2009 to $12.1 million last year.
SALARY HIKE U. S. Steel president John Surma got a raise from $3.5 million in 2009 to $12.1 million last year.
The Hamilton Spectator
Related Stories
Bill Booth, from Delhi, holds the hand of his daughter Ashley, 8 years old, as his other daughter Adrianna, 9 years old, listens to Michael Ignatieff, leader of the federal Liberal Party and leader of the official opposition, speak at a town hall meeting at the United Steelworkers Local 8728 union hall. Booth, an 11.5 year employee of Harsco Metals, a contractor to US Steel's Lake Erie Works, was informed on March 14th that his job and those of his colleagues had been terminated after an approximate 2.5 year layoff.
Ignatieff puts foreign firms on notice

Tells Nanticoke crowd country needs a leader who cares about workers.

* U.S. Steel denies coke bound for American plants
* 1005 rallies against 'provocation'

U. S. Steel president John Surma got a raise last year.

The chief executive of the company that has locked out its Hamilton steelworkers saw more than $8.6 million added to his total pay package last year – a hike of more than 240 per cent.

MORE COVERAGE: U.S. STEEL

The raise, detailed in an annual report filed with the U. S. Securities and Exchange Commission ahead of the company’s annual meeting next month, shows Surma’s 2009 compensation package of more than $3.5 million had him among the lowest paid CEOs in the country.

For 2010, even though the company still lost money, most measures showed its performance turned around sharply.

“Although, Mr. Surma’s compensation increased in 2010, the increase was a direct result of the fact that he was among the lowest-paid CEOs in our peer group of companies for 2009,” the company said in a regulatory filing.“The fact that he received no long-term incentives in 2009, at his request (and the Committee’s agreement), was the largest contributor to his comparatively low 2009 compensation.”

The company explained that when its business took a severe downturn in 2009, Surma asked that his salary be reduced by more than 20 per cent while the pay of all other executives was cut by 10 per cent. Most of those cuts were restored in middle of 2010 when conditions started to improve.

For 2010, U. S. Steel reported sales of $17.3 billion, up from $11 billion in 2009. The bottom line for the year was a loss of $482 million, a sharp improvement from a loss of $1.6 billion, in 2009.

Surma’s pay package for 2010 includes $1.1 million in salary,$4.3 million worth of stock,$2.1 million in stock options,$458,640 in non-stock income,$3.9 million in pension changes and $188,000 in “other” compensation.

For 2009, he received the same salary, no stock or options,$210,000 in non-equity compensation,$2 million in pension changes and $167,000 in “other” payments.

Even with the 2010 raise, Surma is still making less than he did in 2008 when his base salary and add-ons totaled $14 million.

Other executives named in the filing include:

•Gretchen Haggerty, executive vice president and chief financial officer, with base salary of $555,750 and total compensation of $4 million;

•John Goodish, executive vice-president and chief operating officer, with base salary of $712,506 and total compensation of $3.7 million;

•James Garraux, general counsel and senior vice-president corporate affairs, with base salary of $494,798 and total compensation of $3.4 million;

•George Babcoke, senior vice-president of European operations and global operations services, with base salary of $390,500 and total compensation of $3.2 million.

U. S. Steel will hold its annual meeting April 26 in Pittsburgh.
you know it

Taylor, MI

#6803 Mar 28, 2011
welcome to all of you new hires that were "lucky" enough to be hired.You have most likely never worked for a company that would put you thru a week of training,and then be so willing to discipline or even fire you.But if you happened upon this site and are reading this you had better believe it.Safety is what they preach but dont think it is youre welfare that its all about,it comes down to the dollars and cents.Good luck to you all and we are glad to see ya,just llok out for yourself,because they dont.
New hire

Dallas, TX

#6804 Mar 29, 2011
Thanks for the heads up.
congrats

United States

#6805 Mar 29, 2011
Anyone know how many new hires so far? R they still hiring?
New hire

Dallas, TX

#6806 Mar 29, 2011
congrats wrote:
Anyone know how many new hires so far? R they still hiring?
There 7 people in training now and today they were doing some more testing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada (Jan '10) 12 hr Jodi 15,480
Stelco Lake Erie Works/US Steel Canada (Jul '09) Fri Jodi 22,646
Keetec Chat (Nov '09) Mar 20 Iron Ranger 93
New Steelworker (Jan '12) Mar 6 dano 88
How to Recover Deleted Contacts from iPhone wit... (May '13) Feb '15 alvina haynes 52
More from around the web