great lakes steel mill
Fresh Fish

Silver Spring, MD

#6709 Jan 11, 2011
dougie zug wrote:
you get full benifets after 60 days after 1040 hours your protected by the union raises only come on sept 1 of each year contract expires in 2012 sept 1 st good luck did you get a start date
No I don't have a start date. I just took the test on Jan. 5 in Ecorse, MI. They said that the next step would be a on-the-phone interview and then a person-to-person after that. I was just wondering on how it worked. Any idea on when they are suppose to do any hiring?
really

United States

#6710 Jan 11, 2011
Fresh Fish wrote:
<quoted text>
No I don't have a start date. I just took the test on Jan. 5 in Ecorse, MI. They said that the next step would be a on-the-phone interview and then a person-to-person after that. I was just wondering on how it worked. Any idea on when they are suppose to do any hiring?
Well if u passed the test it will be the interviews the physical background check and hair drug test. The first time I was hired the hole process took about 2 and a half months. Good luck to you.
Fresh Fish

Silver Spring, MD

#6711 Jan 11, 2011
really wrote:
<quoted text>Well if u passed the test it will be the interviews the physical background check and hair drug test. The first time I was hired the hole process took about 2 and a half months. Good luck to you.
Thank you everyone for the info, it was very helpful.
steelpawn

Hamilton, Canada

#6712 Jan 15, 2011
Here is some interesting info for locked out workers at Hamilton. After persistant hard work from union execs,the Canadian govt. is now going to pay employment isurance benefits retroactive to our locked out brothersr and sisters at local 1005.They now understand the situation they are in with this ruthless company.......the fight goes on.
hey

United States

#6713 Jan 17, 2011
Fresh fish did u apply online and when? Do u have and inside source at glw?? How many took the test? Thank you for a reply!!
Fresh Fish

Silver Spring, MD

#6714 Jan 17, 2011
hey wrote:
Fresh fish did u apply online and when? Do u have and inside source at glw?? How many took the test? Thank you for a reply!!
Hey! Yeah I heard that the company were suppose to start some hiring. Then I went on the website and applied, in December. Then they sent me an e-mail about the test. About 50-60 pecople took the test when I took it on Jan.5,2011...
whatever

Wyandotte, MI

#6715 Jan 20, 2011
today is 1/20/11 how many new hires did the get?
TEST

Cleveland, OH

#6716 Jan 22, 2011
I am taking a pre-employment test for a utility person job on monday, What is on that test and how hard is it?
Leroy Brown

Hamilton, Canada

#6717 Jan 22, 2011
steelpawn wrote:
Here is some interesting info for locked out workers at Hamilton. After persistant hard work from union execs,the Canadian govt. is now going to pay employment isurance benefits retroactive to our locked out brothersr and sisters at local 1005.They now understand the situation they are in with this ruthless company.......the fight goes on.
This site if for people that want to work, or are looking for work, this site is not for clowns.
steelpawn

Hamilton, Canada

#6718 Jan 22, 2011
Leroy Brown wrote:
<quoted text>
This site if for people that want to work, or are looking for work, this site is not for clowns.
??????
steelpawn

Hamilton, Canada

#6719 Jan 22, 2011
Leroy Brown wrote:
<quoted text>
ah.........Tommy D
Louie

Duluth, MN

#6720 Jan 22, 2011
Any profit sharing insight? Mum is the word in Minnesota, guess we shall wait and see probably nothing
notholdingbreath yet

Southgate, MI

#6721 Jan 22, 2011
TEST wrote:
I am taking a pre-employment test for a utility person job on monday, What is on that test and how hard is it?
pretty basic stuff. reading a ruler, fractions, basic math and reading. not to hard
TEST

Cleveland, OH

#6722 Jan 22, 2011
notholdingbreathyet wrote:
<quoted text>
pretty basic stuff. reading a ruler, fractions, basic math and reading. not to hard
alright, thanks man
hey

United States

#6723 Jan 23, 2011
Man I applied in december too with prior steel making experience and was hoping they would call me! Well congrats to u guys get in there and make some money! Hopefully I still get a call......
TEST

Cleveland, OH

#6724 Jan 24, 2011
test ended up being observational and reading charts and graphs. wasn't too bad.
notholdingbreath yet

Southgate, MI

#6725 Jan 24, 2011
TEST wrote:
test ended up being observational and reading charts and graphs. wasn't too bad.
good luck sounds like they changed it abit. see ya in the mill
Louie

Duluth, MN

#6726 Jan 26, 2011
Any news on profit sharing?
Louie

Duluth, MN

#6727 Jan 27, 2011
Nevermind, looks like they posted a loss again.
looney

Warren, MI

#6728 Feb 4, 2011
Blast Furnace Unexpected Shutdowns: Severstal Dearborn & U.S. Steel Great Lakes
Sophia Fain 3:34PM, February 3, 2011

Earlier this week Steel Market Update reported both U.S. Steel Great Lakes and Severstal Dearborn steel mills had suffered unexpected and sudden shutdowns of their blast furnace(s) due to a failure in the main water line which fed their industrial gas supplier – Praxair. Our understanding is both facilities are struggling to come back up and hope to be fully operational by sometime early next week.

We have requested more information from both companies but have not received any new guidance other than what we just stated above.

However, we thought this “Force Majeure” incident would provide an excellent opportunity to learn more about blast furnaces and the problems related to bringing a furnace back online after a sudden unplanned shutdown.

We asked one of our Steel 101 instructors: John Eckstein (recently retired from Severstal Sparrows Point) about what concerns there are when a furnace goes down unexpectedly.

Causes Major Concern at Both Facilities

John told SMU this afternoon,“Even though both facilities have their appropriate emergency shut down/slow down procedures, there is definitely a concern with the rapid changes in gas flow and the required adjustments to the burden in the furnace.

If this event is not controlled, a resultant slip of the burden may take place that could clog the tuyeres. This could result in the furnace being shut down to replace these clogged tuyeres.

As the furnace becomes stabilized at the reduced operating rate, the next concerns is when Praxair has the gas supply back up to their normal rates.

At that point in time, the Blast Furnace operation must make controlled incremental adjustments in the gas flow and the burden to get the furnace back to the planned steady state.”

John will be broaching this subject and many more during our Steel 101 training workshop. As an active participant (analyst or investment manager) in the steel industry, it is important to understand the basics as to how both blast and EAF furnaces work as well as the various rolling processes for flat rolled, long, structural and pipe & tube products. We will do this from both an operational/technical as well as commercial perspective. Steel 101 is being held just for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stelco Lake Erie Works/US Steel Canada (Jul '09) Tue pensioner 24,495
want to be rich and famous Aug 8 Seville 3
Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada (Jan '10) Jul '17 steamcast 16,401
US Steel physical and drug test taking to long!... Jun '17 NoKingButChrist 37
News Daniel Beiser (May '08) Jun '17 Granite Hard Forever 2
the pre-employment drug test!!!! (Jun '11) May '17 Slime 9
Work hours Apr '17 Us steel 5
More from around the web