great lakes steel mill

Since: May 09

Taylor, MI

#5291 Jan 30, 2010
http://pressandguide.com/articles

Try this and go down the list. Just says Barragan says the company isn't playing fair. No new news.

Taylor, MI

#5292 Jan 30, 2010
TsmithGLW wrote:
http://pressandguide.com/artic les
Try this and go down the list. Just says Barragan says the company isn't playing fair. No new news.
Oh yeah click on the NEWS tab
USShasnofuture

Caledonia, Canada

#5293 Jan 30, 2010
tas98 wrote:
the pipes that were made. kept failing the pull apart test in the lab due to not enough nickel in the steel. i was there. never happened when we got nucor steel
Smart US steel!!! They damaged our blast furnace at LEW too. No wonder their stocks rate like junk.

Good Work Surma!!! Keep it up!!!
Great Lakes Steel

Riverview, MI

#5294 Jan 31, 2010
TsmithGLW wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah click on the NEWS tab
Hey, look what I did:

http://pressandguide.com/articles/2010/01/29/...

I copy and pasted the article, not the home page. That way, everyone don't have to swim thru the whole web site to find what TSmith is talking about. What a concept!
Itsy bitsy spider

Grand Rapids, MI

#5295 Jan 31, 2010
Workers return to Ecorse plant

Marc Barragan, president of U.S. Steelworkers Local No. 1299, confirmed the good news at U.S. Steel’s Great Lakes Works in Ecorse — the reopening of the plant

Another 250 remain on layoff status since the mill idled operations in January 2009 due to the faltering economy and a drop in customer demand.

“The union strongly feels there are opportunities to bring the remainder of the people who had jobs back, but the company seems more interested in their bottom line,” Barragan said.

“We disagree what the bottom line looks like. We are having some discussions over that. We think the opportunities are indeed there. Moving forward, they could bring the others back.

We are contractually grinding it out with them.”

Barragan said the company is giving large amounts of overtime to those who have been called back instead of opting to bring back all of the workers.

“Management is telling us they are running a program of efficiencies,” he said.“We are contractually discussing opportunities to return the 250 to work, but management isn’t seeing it that way.”

U.S. Steel spokeswoman Erin DiPietro declined to comment, saying the company doesn’t provide updates on its operations.

According to union officials, U.S. Steel unionized employees also have been recalled at two other idled plants — Granite City Works, a steelmaking facility in Illinois, and Hamilton Works, a Canadian plant in Ontario that is being restarted for its coke ovens.

In a February 2009 interview, now-retired U.S. Steel spokesman John Armstrong said he held out hope that the Ecorse plant would eventually reopen.

“The plan is still a temporary idling period, but we cannot tell you when we plan to restart it,” he said.“We hope to call the employees back, assuming they haven’t gotten other jobs.…

“Great Lakes Works is primarily an automotive steel manufacturing facility. Its major customers are the autos. At this point, no one can accurately predict where the economy is going.”

Since: Nov 09

Wyandotte, MI

#5296 Jan 31, 2010
itsy thank you for posting that, saved me a trip to the store to buy the paper. After reading all the posts and taking everything into concederation, were screwed. No people at the stinson and doubt if there will be any recalls next week what are we supposed to do.
outta dough

Inkster, MI

#5297 Jan 31, 2010
Those fockers need to pay on the grievances and give me a signed letter stating that I won't be called back.
truth not polictical

Columbus, OH

#5298 Jan 31, 2010
people should make sure of all their facts before posting info.
USShasnofuture

Caledonia, Canada

#5299 Jan 31, 2010
Itsy bitsy spider wrote:
Workers return to Ecorse plant
Marc Barragan, president of U.S. Steelworkers Local No. 1299, confirmed the good news at U.S. Steel’s Great Lakes Works in Ecorse — the reopening of the plant
Another 250 remain on layoff status since the mill idled operations in January 2009 due to the faltering economy and a drop in customer demand.
“The union strongly feels there are opportunities to bring the remainder of the people who had jobs back, but the company seems more interested in their bottom line,” Barragan said.
“We disagree what the bottom line looks like. We are having some discussions over that. We think the opportunities are indeed there. Moving forward, they could bring the others back.
We are contractually grinding it out with them.”
Barragan said the company is giving large amounts of overtime to those who have been called back instead of opting to bring back all of the workers.
“Management is telling us they are running a program of efficiencies,” he said.“We are contractually discussing opportunities to return the 250 to work, but management isn’t seeing it that way.”
U.S. Steel spokeswoman Erin DiPietro declined to comment, saying the company doesn’t provide updates on its operations.
According to union officials, U.S. Steel unionized employees also have been recalled at two other idled plants — Granite City Works, a steelmaking facility in Illinois, and Hamilton Works, a Canadian plant in Ontario that is being restarted for its coke ovens.
In a February 2009 interview, now-retired U.S. Steel spokesman John Armstrong said he held out hope that the Ecorse plant would eventually reopen.
“The plan is still a temporary idling period, but we cannot tell you when we plan to restart it,” he said.“We hope to call the employees back, assuming they haven’t gotten other jobs.…
“Great Lakes Works is primarily an automotive steel manufacturing facility. Its major customers are the autos. At this point, no one can accurately predict where the economy is going.”
One thing for sure is US Steel will post a lost in the first quarter, second quarter, third quarter, forth quarter and repeat. They were on a smooth ride for too long now they hit a obstacle they don't know what to do. One thing they knew was to shut down plants to save cost but they didn't calculate the carrying cost and start up cost they will have to face. Now they want to cut cost again by reduce the salary guys at LEW then again they don't know they will lost a ton of knowledge from those guy. Money you can borrow from the bank but knowledge you can never borrow. For US steel to survive and to make profit again we need a new leader. Shareholders if read this post ask John Surma to step down and let someone who is capable to take over and make this company profitable again and show this company cares for their employees. Right the reputation of US Steel is USeless Steal.

I have found a job but I wrote this post because I care for my brother/sister steelworkers who are still of out work.
boro guy

Kitchener, Canada

#5300 Jan 31, 2010
GC and GL were fired up again because LEW workers in Ontario refused to take a $3.00/hour pay cut,2 week cut in vacation, removal of COLA and shift premiums and at the same time give up our pension. You guys in the States will probably get a similar offer in your next negotiations.
Great Lakes Steel wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, the question needs to be asked.
Which plant did this steel come from?
Many a person has said here that the oldest integrated steel mill in North America can't make a good product anymore.
There's a reason GC and GL were fired up again.
lil guy

San Antonio, TX

#5301 Jan 31, 2010
boro guy wrote:
GC and GL were fired up again because LEW workers in Ontario refused to take a $3.00/hour pay cut,2 week cut in vacation, removal of COLA and shift premiums and at the same time give up our pension. You guys in the States will probably get a similar offer in your next negotiations.
<quoted text>
Boro Guy

dont know about GC, but Glw was start back becuase the big 3 and toyota started making cars again. they had a problem with the steel coming out of Gary. we werent ship steel to canada before we idled and was still running. i agree the reason why lew is still closed is the contract issue. eveeryone know that lew is the most high tech mill in the world. the main reason uss brought it. when they brought national steel the contract give to the union sucked. hope that you when this battle for you right with the company. it can only help us all. please remember no union brother or sister down here clause this to happen to LEW. hope this is all over soon and we all can get on with our lifes.
outta dough

Inkster, MI

#5302 Jan 31, 2010
lil guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Boro Guy
dont know about GC, but Glw was start back becuase the big 3 and toyota started making cars again. they had a problem with the steel coming out of Gary. we werent ship steel to canada before we idled and was still running. i agree the reason why lew is still closed is the contract issue. eveeryone know that lew is the most high tech mill in the world. the main reason uss brought it. when they brought national steel the contract give to the union sucked. hope that you when this battle for you right with the company. it can only help us all. please remember no union brother or sister down here clause this to happen to LEW. hope this is all over soon and we all can get on with our lifes.
It would be a lot easier to read your posts if you spelled correctly and used punctuation. It might help you in the event you have to find a new job. Just constructive criticism .
boro guy

Montréal, Canada

#5303 Jan 31, 2010
Sorry was In my "dunville" personna. A town in S/W Ontario where "everybody" is related. IE, if I divorced my wife is she still my sister ;-)
outta dough wrote:
<quoted text>It would be a lot easier to read your posts if you spelled correctly and used punctuation. It might help you in the event you have to find a new job. Just constructive criticism .
lil guy

San Antonio, TX

#5304 Jan 31, 2010
outta dough wrote:
<quoted text>It would be a lot easier to read your posts if you spelled correctly and used punctuation. It might help you in the event you have to find a new job. Just constructive criticism
sorry about that, but i am steel worker. lol. all the chemicals has done something to this old head of mine.
payquestion

Lincoln Park, MI

#5305 Jan 31, 2010
I have been laid off for 14 months and I received my w-2 form which said I made 20,600. I don't understand why it is so high, when I get 1 thousand a month sub-pay, that's it. My unemployment w-2 came in $20,600 and combined is @$42,000. I did not make that much. Anyone have the same trouble? I made 20k unemployment and 12k sub, where did the extra 9k come from? I didn't get that much vacation.

Taylor, MI

#5306 Jan 31, 2010
payquestion wrote:
I have been laid off for 14 months and I received my w-2 form which said I made 20,600. I don't understand why it is so high, when I get 1 thousand a month sub-pay, that's it. My unemployment w-2 came in $20,600 and combined is @$42,000. I did not make that much. Anyone have the same trouble? I made 20k unemployment and 12k sub, where did the extra 9k come from? I didn't get that much vacation.
Vacation and we got a grievance check early on and a profit sharing check
payquestion

Lincoln Park, MI

#5307 Feb 1, 2010
I think that's where the mistake is. Thank you for the clarification.
TsmithGLW wrote:
<quoted text>
Vacation and we got a grievance check early on and a profit sharing check

Since: Nov 09

Wyandotte, MI

#5308 Feb 1, 2010
anyone have any ideas if there will be recalls this week? Thinking the mill is were they want to be right now.
Big Blue Bully Hater

Ancaster, Canada

#5309 Feb 1, 2010
zug island wrote:
anyone have any ideas if there will be recalls this week? Thinking the mill is were they want to be right now.
I understand your impatience. I have been waiting everyday for news that LEW works has contract in place and that USS will start us up. It seems hopeless sometimes. Hang in there brother from the south.
steelworkerwife

Wyandotte, MI

#5310 Feb 1, 2010
zug island wrote:
I know how you feel. Hoping for some good news.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stelco Lake Erie Works/US Steel Canada (Jul '09) Jul 24 Dudette 24,485
Stelco Hilton Works/US Steel Canada (Jan '10) Jul 13 steamcast 16,401
want to be rich and famous Jul 5 Mike 2 2
US Steel physical and drug test taking to long!... Jun 26 NoKingButChrist 37
News Daniel Beiser (May '08) Jun '17 Granite Hard Forever 2
the pre-employment drug test!!!! (Jun '11) May '17 Slime 9
Work hours Apr '17 Us steel 5
More from around the web